Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p.thumb.jpg.9baae12eeb853c863abc6d2cf3df5968.jpg

Crossway

Sensitivity to red light.

I am not sure which category this  should be under...….Could someone perhaps  comment on a wee problem I have regarding  apparent sensitivity to red light.

I use a  red spot finder (  telrad type)  and  alternatively a  simple  "gunsight"  arrangement of two  small concentric wire rings  with illumination from a  red beam.

I have been aware for some time that my sighting eye registers the red illumination with some distortion , either with or without my glasses.   As an experiment I 

changed the colour to green  with an immediate improvement.   The illumination is very low and I am not aware that the green light  makes any difference to my night vision.

Is there any reason for this.

With Thanks

Pete.

I myself cannot focus the Telrad reticules without wearing my prescription glasses! though the reticules are perfectly sharp/concentric  with correction.

You will also find that eyes are more perceptible to green, due to the amount of cones that are stimulated in the sensory department.

My dive watches are lumed green, as are many instruments of the night, even some past NVGs appeared green.

Edited by Charic