SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Star tools v. PI

Just had my first look at star tools, I've been using PI for about 3 years now and am still confused by it. On the other hand downloaded Star tools and the first time I put a pic through it it came out reasonable. I've read a few things on ST and watched a few You tube vids on it. Seems like what I want but before I purchase a licence I'd like to hear a few for and against it arguments. Thanks in advance.

I use StarTools and I'm very happy with it. Starting out you can usually just use the defaults and as you progress you can start to tweak. Great value for money.

Never used PI so can't compare them though.

There is a new to StarTools from PI thread on the StarTools forum to help you navigate the changes if that helps.

I have only used StarTools and I learn new ways to improve my data all the time, this recent comet has been one such exercise, I revisited a comet lovejoy image and got miles better result from my newly learned technique. It grows further as I get more data and learn more.

• 2 months later...
On 31/12/2018 at 03:05, speach said:

Just had my first look at star tools, I've been using PI for about 3 years now and am still confused by it. On the other hand downloaded Star tools and the first time I put a pic through it it came out reasonable. I've read a few things on ST and watched a few You tube vids on it. Seems like what I want but before I purchase a licence I'd like to hear a few for and against it arguments. Thanks in advance.

Try this tutorial to get started with Startools https://astro.ecuadors.net/processing-a-noisy-dslr-image-stack-with-startools/ cant comment on PI ,but startools i can get reasonable results and getting better at using it also, my Data is improving too that helps a lot ,make sure you use darks and flats and if using DSS to stack then look on startools forum there is particular parameters in dss that need tweaking for startools ,if using pi to stack then don't worry .  

Archived