Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CLS CCD filter for a defiltered canon 80D ?

Golfox2

Hello, I just bought a canon 80D that I will bring for IR filter removal (the original IR filter will be swapped with an Astrodon Inside filter, from eosforastro), and would like to know if it would be any good to clip a CLS CCD filter in it ?
I've seen this one on tringastro or this one on teleskop express.

I live in Geneva (CH) and do my astro imaging with my telescope and lenses around there, so kind of a bit of light pollution in the sky.

I don't really know if I should buy one or not, not sure about the result.

BTW : I'm planning to go in the south african bush in 1 month for safari and astrophotography, would I need the filter in the canon 80D or should I remove it (if I buy it ?)

thanks ?
Golfox2

I can't help but think that there will be minimal light pollution in south Africa so you probably won't need it there. 

The easiest thing to do is try before you buy one. If your subs are washed out or too orangey due to light pollution, then get one. 

Without actually seeing your skies I cannot give any further advice 

Looking at the filter you are getting fixed in, that will still pass all the LP wavelengths, so if you have any form of LP where you are, a clip in will improve your results. I suspect your new filter will be no worse than your original canon one.

I would agree with geordie's comments, try without at home and see how bad the results are.

If you find zero LP on your SA trip, definitely remove it.

image.png.0ad629f77bdbdef1bd042d24f8165ce1.png

OKay thanks for your answers.

Here is a screenshot of a RAW picture I took last night, with the telescope (750mm x 150mm mirror) + canon 80D still un-modified

I'm going to send it in a few days to be defiltered.

okay, i took note to remove it if no LP, thanks ?

Yup, polar alignment is really difficult for the back and knees with this mount. I just bought a 90° mirror for the polar scope, hope it'll ease the process ?

Yeah I guess 75 seconds is a too long exposure, I'll reduce it to 40-50 sec and stack a few more images

There are various things that can make PA a lot simpler. I use a polemaster, but that is not cheap! One option might be to get Sharpcap (you would need a pro licence for £10). Saves back and knees as it is all done on the laptop through your guider ... which brings me to the next point. A finder/guider package would enable you to get 75s subs (and much longer) without any problem. There are various packages around and they come up second hand quite frequently. [I know: it is easy for me to spend your money!]

Archived