Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_through_the-_eyepiece_winners.thumb.jpg.236833c5815bb321211a43f4d5214ba8.jpg

halli

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ problem !

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, fozzybear said:

Please for the life of me a strange problem if I use my browser on my pc then goto astroberry:local I login i cannot press enter key to accept password i have to use the mouse button to validate password also when opening web browser enter key not working and other keys for that matter. I've checked my keyboard layout and lang on rpi but when try to update languages it goes of to update then fails.

Do i have to reimage my sd card as something is going wrong?

Hi Andy

This seems very strange. I need to understand the case, so I start with a few questions:

  • What is your operating system and browser?
  • What is your system locale/regional settings?
  • What keyboard is configured in your system?
  • Does the issue appear when connecting over VNC client instead a browser?

Radek Kaczorek
Astroberry Server | NEQ6 | Atik 460EX | Atik EFW2 | ASI 120MM

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, RadekK said:

Hi Andy

This seems very strange. I need to understand the case, so I start with a few questions:

  • What is your operating system and browser?
  • What is your system locale/regional settings?
  • What keyboard is configured in your system?
  • Does the issue appear when connecting over VNC client instead a browser? 

Radek Kaczorek
Astroberry Server | NEQ6 | Atik 460EX | Atik EFW2 | ASI 120MM

Radek

1 Windows 10 and on any browser Microsoft edge or ie

2 English UK

3 generic 105-key(intl) PC

4 when directly connected to rpi non headless i.e with monitor mouse keyboard all ok. works fine via VNC yet only when open a browser to access rpi that is when i have the problem

If i vnc into rpi i do not have access to the side menu (left hand side) does not pop out also

I have also just found out if i open mate terminal and start typing if i press the spacebar then the side control bar pops open weird

regards

Andy

Edited by fozzybear
additional text added

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All right, so this looks like there's an issue with noVNC (library used for accessing rpi desktop remotely with a browser). The issue is marked as closed in their repo at github, but yet there are some problems. Could you try with a firefox or chrome?

The sliding menu is available only in a browser, so this normal that it does not pop out when you connect directly with VNC.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RadekK said:

All right, so this looks like there's an issue with noVNC (library used for accessing rpi desktop remotely with a browser). The issue is marked as closed in their repo at github, but yet there are some problems. Could you try with a firefox or chrome?

The sliding menu is available only in a browser, so this normal that it does not pop out when you connect directly with VNC.

update firefox and chrome on windows pc accessing http://astroberry.local all ok so problem lies with ie and edge then

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This could be a quick fix. I will look into this issue closer anyway.

Radek Kaczorek
Astroberry Server | NEQ6 | Atik 460EX | Atik EFW2 | ASI 120MM

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RadekK said:

This could be a quick fix. I will look into this issue closer anyway.

Radek Kaczorek
Astroberry Server | NEQ6 | Atik 460EX | Atik EFW2 | ASI 120MM

thankyou very much was driving me crazy as all was working ok then all of a sudden..... mayhem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi - I've just come across the Firefox prob which I think I've heard of mention before.  Mine keeps crashing every time I try to start it.  Not sure where the solution is documented though ! 

Can anyone point me in the right direction plesse? 

Ta

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

 

I know this doesn't help but just thought I would chuck my two penneth in as hey say. Bought a Pi 3 B+ to run Atik Air, chose it over the '3' as it had superior hardware etc.

It would not work and Atik didn't help either, so am left with a Pi that I don't want. Although the Pi option is relatively inexpensive I chose to buy a reconditioned Gigabyte BRIX load windows (7) and any software I want plus team viewer and bingo have a wireless connection which works to my Atik infinity. Run the BRIX and Infinity off of  a Celestron power tank no problem. It was more expensive and physically slightly larger but easier to do by a country mile.

BTW Atik are collaborating with Stellarmate to produce their new Atikbase which will be powered by a Pi but personally I would question it's capability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, williamnohair said:

Hi

 

I know this doesn't help but just thought I would chuck my two penneth in as hey say. Bought a Pi 3 B+ to run Atik Air, chose it over the '3' as it had superior hardware etc.

It would not work and Atik didn't help either, so am left with a Pi that I don't want. Although the Pi option is relatively inexpensive I chose to buy a reconditioned Gigabyte BRIX load windows (7) and any software I want plus team viewer and bingo have a wireless connection which works to my Atik infinity. Run the BRIX and Infinity off of  a Celestron power tank no problem. It was more expensive and physically slightly larger but easier to do by a country mile.

BTW Atik are collaborating with Stellarmate to produce their new Atikbase which will be powered by a Pi but personally I would question it's capability.

Air Air, what is that, i have heard of the ASI Version, I Have heard and seen the new Atik base, which I bet will be very expensive considering what it is inside....

edit, just looked it up looks useful....if it works... 

Edited by LightBucket

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, halli said:

Hi - I've just come across the Firefox prob which I think I've heard of mention before.  Mine keeps crashing every time I try to start it.  Not sure where the solution is documented though ! 

Can anyone point me in the right direction plesse? 

Ta

  

https://askubuntu.com/questions/950409/ubuntu-mate-16-04-firefox-crashes-on-load  then load older version of Firefox - google for how to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah thanks Stash

 I was hoping someone would come to my salvation !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, halli said:

Ah thanks Stash

 I was hoping someone would come to my salvation !

run these commands from the terminal

wget http://ports.ubuntu.com/pool/main/f/firefox/firefox_52.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.12.04.1_armhf.deb

sudo apt-get -y purge firefox

sudo dpkg -i firefox_52.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.12.04.1_armhf.deb

sudo apt-mark hold firefox

rm firefox_52.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.12.04.1_armhf.deb

sudo apt-get update

sudo restart

voila.

Andy

 

 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Andy - appreciated.  I was just about to wade into interpreting what I need to do so thats saved me some work !  

I was going to download some more Astrometry files - as the ones that came with Astroberry dont  seem to be sufficient for my 130pds.

Have you dabbled with this ?

Cheers

Ian

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, halli said:

Thanks Andy - appreciated.  I was just about to wade into interpreting what I need to do so thats saved me some work !  

I was going to download some more Astrometry files - as the ones that came with Astroberry dont  seem to be sufficient for my 130pds.

Have you dabbled with this ?

Cheers

Ian

Ian

not yet tried astrometry files still trying to figure which ones to download for my 150pds just testing at the moment not yet used in anger, I have a 2 rpi's for astro one with rlancaste's rpi3 image on and the other with astroberry on rpi3b+ like Radek's as has more apps on it. Still for me a steep learning curve. Maybe Radek could advise maybe if you sent him a PM

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, halli said:

Thanks Andy - appreciated.  I was just about to wade into interpreting what I need to do so thats saved me some work !  

I was going to download some more Astrometry files - as the ones that came with Astroberry dont  seem to be sufficient for my 130pds.

Have you dabbled with this ?

Cheers

Ian

Once you know you FOV you can select the correct files + 1 either side. So do an Online solve - this provides the FOV etc then go into OPTIONS and choose your index files. Just make sure you have enough space and fast downlink as some are quite large 🙂 

Plus too many will slow you down so if you use different kit with differing FOV you may need to learn to hide some index files.

also this might help http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fovcalc.php

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your responses very helpful.

Just to let you know Andy your commands worked and I can now start firefox ! 

It took some concentration to enter the right syntax particularly trying to watch Eng vs Windies cricket at the same time..............!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, halli said:

Thanks for your responses very helpful.

Just to let you know Andy your commands worked and I can now start firefox ! 

It took some concentration to enter the right syntax particularly trying to watch Eng vs Windies cricket at the same time..............!

 

glad it worked ok for you (was going to suggest you open a browser on rpi and login to sgl then cut/paste) did not know if you had another browser installed but anyway glad you are up and running.

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Astrometry original readme is not available for some reason. But what do we have web.archive.org for ;) According to the latest available copy of astrometry readme index files table looks like this:

Index Filename Range of skymark diameters (arcminutes)
index-4219.fits 1400–2000
index-4218.fits 1000–1400
index-4217.fits 680–1000
index-4216.fits 480–680
index-4215.fits 340–480
index-4214.fits 240–340
index-4213.fits 170–240
index-4212.fits 120–170
index-4211.fits 85–120
index-4210.fits 60—85
index-4209.fits 42–60
index-4208.fits 30–42
index-4207-*.fits 22–30
index-4206-*.fits 16–22
index-4205-*.fits 11–16
index-4204-*.fits 8–11
index-4203-*.fits 5.6–8.0
index-4202-*.fits 4.0–5.6
index-4201-*.fits 2.8–4.0
index-4200-*.fits 2.0–2.8

Astroberry Server is loaded with the ones marked green. This gives you ability to plate solve FOV from 16 - 85 arc minutes (0.26 - 1.42 degree). Calculate your FOV eg. with this http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fovcalc.php. If you're in the range there's no need to upload additional index files, if not add only those that needed. Adding all slows down plate solving process significantly, so it's not recommended. The index files are located in /usr/share/astrometry but you can add any other location by editing /etc/astrometry.cfg by adding "add_path YOUR_DIRECTORY" below existing add_path line.

Note that you need to configure your telescope focal length in KStars/Ekos to successfully plate solve frames. Otherwise you can reconfigure for blind solving, but it takes much more time to solve a frame.

Edited by RadekK
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another hint - turn on verbose logging for Astrometry (this is a flaw IMO ) - this will show you the number of stars extracted - if this is  above 700 use the "DOWN SAMPLING" value to reduce the number of stars (default sampling value is 2 ) this will decrease the solve time and stop plate solving timing out. Note unfortunately you will have to keep am eye on the number of extracted stars and change the down sampling value accordingly - not very helpful if you use the scheduler. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, stash_old said:

Another hint - turn on verbose logging for Astrometry (this is a flaw IMO ) - this will show you the number of stars extracted - if this is  above 700 use the "DOWN SAMPLING" value to reduce the number of stars (default sampling value is 2 ) this will decrease the solve time and stop plate solving timing out. Note unfortunately you will have to keep am eye on the number of extracted stars and change the down sampling value accordingly - not very helpful if you use the scheduler. 

bit of a daft question never used astrometry how do you load it on rpi:cussing:

using the link above for my 150pds and 450d canon=

FOV: 
1.70° x 1.13°
Edited by fozzybear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

how do you load it on rpi

It is part of KStars/Ekos, but you can also use it from command line. If you prefer the latter just install astrometry by running:

sudo apt install astrometry.net

add index files and then play with solve-field command (see examples in the astrometry readme file - linked above). It can do magic, including annotating your images with detected objects.

The easy way is to use KStars/Ekos - plate solving is located on Align tab. The easiest way is to use online plate solving and upload your images for processing - http://nova.astrometry.net/upload

Edited by RadekK
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi thanks all again for useful replies.

I tried to use the offline solver in Astroberry the other night and it failed but I managed to get the online solver to work however. 

From Radek's response I can see I need additional files to solve for my 130pds  which is 1.56 x 1.18 deg with my ZWO ASI 1600mm so I need to get the Fits index file  4211 as well as the ones which exist already.    I guess I use the firefox browser to download the index files from https://web.archive.org/web/20180628212309/http://data.astrometry.net/4200/ and add them to the directory which Radek has nominated which the other files reside in.

I also have a TS 71 refractor which is 2.92x2.21 so I will also need 4212 and 4213 I guess. 

44 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

bit of a daft question never used astrometry how do you load it on rpi

Andy -  if you are using Astroberry the Astrometry application is already included but I believe you need to select it in Ekos.  It is used in the Alignment page in Ekos.  Like me you will also need to download index file 4211 from the link I mentioned earlier to get your 150pds to work.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sorry Radek crossed with your response  - hopefully mine makes sense ? !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely! It is your topic, I'm just a guest here 😉 One correction though - original place for index files is  http://broiler.astrometry.net/~dstn/4200/

You can either download them with firefox (version distributed with Ubuntu Mate is broken, as already discussed) or you can use command line (I know you either like it or hate it 😉 )

cd /usr/share/astrometry
sudo bash
wget http://broiler.astrometry.net/~dstn/4200/index-4211.fits

 

Edited by RadekK
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah thats great thanks Radek I was wondering whether there was a command line for downloading  it !   

The reason why I was trying to fix the firefox browser was to use it to download the astrometry files ..........

Hopefully I will try the offline solver out after I have performed the download  soon - looks like there may be some clear skies in the next couple of days ! 

Edited by halli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.