SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ problem !

halli

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slight change of topic I detect - which allows me to do the same and say ‘Happy New Year!’

I’ve just picked up this thread after a fortnight of similar struggles to get Ubuntu MATE 16.04 working on the RPi 3 B+. I firstly tried the Astroberry image which worked from the start, but I wanted to slim the unrequired features down (and understand) the INDI installation. A friend loaned me his RPi 3 B, and I set about adding the tweaks to the Ubuntu MATE downloaded image to avoid the ‘rainbow square’ freeze (updated boot loader), and then to get the WiFi working (firmware files). I’m now trying to add the missing B+ .dtb file to the boot folder in the SD card, although back to rainbow square freeze at the moment on the B+.

I only bought my RPi in November as an early Xmas present to mess about with in the holidays so I was surprised to recognise the package as similar to Stellarmate and ASIair and so suddenly become aware it could be really useful to my Astro set up.

I’ll be happy to follow this thread and I’ll report back on any further progress bringing the RPi 3 B+, Ubuntu MATE and INDI into a working system (other than the already impressive Astroberry and Stellarmate images).

coming in late, and I don't have a newer 3B+, but has anyone tried installing Mate 18.04 on the 3B+ ? 

For me, 18.04, usually installs ok, onto various boards, its just that the Indi\Kstars system doesn't install \ work, as its missing some components, which can be got around.....

2 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

coming in late, and I don't have a newer 3B+, but has anyone tried installing Mate 18.04 on the 3B+ ? 

For me, 18.04, usually installs ok, onto various boards, its just that the Indi\Kstars system doesn't install \ work, as its missing some components, which can be got around.....

18.04 Ubuntu Server edition works and so does Indiserver (only week old 64bit version created) but I cannot get GUI of any type to install yet.

3 hours ago, Avocette said:

Slight change of topic I detect - which allows me to do the same and say ‘Happy New Year!’

I’ve just picked up this thread after a fortnight of similar struggles to get Ubuntu MATE 16.04 working on the RPi 3 B+. I firstly tried the Astroberry image which worked from the start, but I wanted to slim the unrequired features down (and understand) the INDI installation. A friend loaned me his RPi 3 B, and I set about adding the tweaks to the Ubuntu MATE downloaded image to avoid the ‘rainbow square’ freeze (updated boot loader), and then to get the WiFi working (firmware files). I’m now trying to add the missing B+ .dtb file to the boot folder in the SD card, although back to rainbow square freeze at the moment on the B+.

I only bought my RPi in November as an early Xmas present to mess about with in the holidays so I was surprised to recognise the package as similar to Stellarmate and ASIair and so suddenly become aware it could be really useful to my Astro set up.

I’ll be happy to follow this thread and I’ll report back on any further progress bringing the RPi 3 B+, Ubuntu MATE and INDI into a working system (other than the already impressive Astroberry and Stellarmate images).

Happy New Year to you ? 

If you look back on this thread you will find a link to BerryBoot which has a Ubuntu 16.04 version without Indi or Kstars. It runs ok on RPI3b+ and you can install Indilib plus Kstars on it after the initial set up. I use a Sandisk USB stick to be the destination so really the SD card is only required for RPI3b+ loading. Works well so far in testing ?

P.S. Watch out for the Firefox update which kills Firefox - google the get round which basically installs older version of Firefox and freezes updates on Firefox.

Methinks that's the same issues I was having with the RockPro64, & it's down to some missing Java\Python bits. 

Unfortunately, the laptop with the info, on what is needed, is currently dead, so I can't get at it, but maybe later, if UPS get their finger out...

11 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Methinks that's the same issues I was having with the RockPro64, & it's down to some missing Java\Python bits. 

Unfortunately, the laptop with the info, on what is needed, is currently dead, so I can't get at it, but maybe later, if UPS get their finger out...

But this works on RPI3b+ - except for Kstars icons(a bit too big) which I believe is just a missing "breeze theme" http://raspex.exton.se 64bit Kernel runs ok on my RPI3b+

9 hours ago, Avocette said:

I have a 3b and the std image works a treat with rlancaste script astropi3  but got a 3b+ and hell descended upon me...

6 hours ago, stash_old said:

Happy New Year to you ? 

If you look back on this thread you will find a link to BerryBoot which has a Ubuntu 16.04 version without Indi or Kstars. It runs ok on RPI3b+ and you can install Indilib plus Kstars on it after the initial set up. I use a Sandisk USB stick to be the destination so really the SD card is only required for RPI3b+ loading. Works well so far in testing ?

P.S. Watch out for the Firefox update which kills Firefox - google the get round which basically installs older version of Firefox and freezes updates on Firefox.

I had a look at berryboot but Norton said No?

1 hour ago, fozzybear said:

I don't believe it just backed it up took an hour.... do not want to do that again probably the same  to write it to the sd card and that's on an i5 processor albeit via usb2 card reader.

Another advantage of Berryboot - you can put the running ext4 partition on a USB Stick and just use the SD to boot - Remember my cracked sd card I told you about well I just copied the berryboot files (all 42mb) and got it to hunt for "old" partition on the USB and bingo backup and running. ?  

1 minute ago, stash_old said:

Another advantage of Berryboot - you can put the running ext4 partition on a USB Stick and just use the SD to boot - Remember my cracked sd card I told you about well I just copied the berryboot files (all 42mb) and got it to hunt for "old" partition on the USB and bingo backup and running. ?  

you've given me an idea I have a 120gb ssd (usb)

3 hours ago, fozzybear said:

I don't believe it just backed it up took an hour.... do not want to do that again probably the same  to write it to the sd card and that's on an i5 processor albeit via usb2 card reader.

An hour, just take the working card out and use winDSK imager to read the image off the working card to PC and then write to another card takes 15 mins tops...how are you doing it...

6 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

An hour, just take the working card out and use winDSK imager to read the image off the working card to PC and then write to another card takes 15 mins tops...how are you doing it...

take card out then using a card reader to do backup albeit about god knows how old via usb to my pc to create an image on my pc .am I doing something wrong? 

9 hours ago, LightBucket said:

Hmmm, my image was bigger than that, and I get around 18mb per sec transfer on USB 2 and 40mb on USB 3....also on an i5 PC..

somethings not right then I will have to try and find another card reader perhaps, windows setting on device manager for usb device now at 17mb per sec

Ok I tried the Astroberry image just now and my PI 3 B+ booted straight away - I configured the wireless and remoted in via my desktop PC without issue.  Started CdC which I am familiar with and it worked fine.  

Great -  now I can play around with the applications trying to control my mount and camera etc.  Its a bit like starting again from scratch with a clean sheet of paper which is quite exciting !

First thing is to set up my mount indoors and play around with it  - I normally use a bluetooth connection for EQMOD so here's hoping Astroberry supports this !

My original problem has now been solved  - so big thanks for your support Stash_Old and Fozzybear ! I guess I will have a few more problems on the way though..........

Archived