SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ problem !

halli

15 hours ago, halli said:

This guy claims to have fixed the problem ! please  see link below

https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/how-to-set-up-and-upgrade-ubuntu-mate-16-04-on-a-pi-2-3-3b/18125

Not read the detail  yet but certainly looks worth spending some time on...…

I am new to this malarkey and will try to give it a go  - but if any of you experienced Linux Geezers tried this and posted your conclusions about your findings here it may possibly  help a lot of frustrated 3B+ owners !!

Well we know it can be done, there is no question of that, as it’s been done with Stellarmate, so the only real question is how.. and how difficult is it...good luck ,)

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try this ,not used it myself but says it works on 3b+ https://github.com/rkaczorek/astroberry-server and has pretty good instructions

I did bring up the subject on the Indi Forum , as those who also take part in will have noticed, but it was a cool response IMHO to those on this forum who were looking for a "One Stop" . Some valid points were made - such as waiting on Ubuntu Mate etc to bring out the over version for 3B+ but as pointed out all the work is done by unpaid volunteers ?

Still the Astroberry link did come out of the thread - Didn't know it worked on the 3B+.

7 hours ago, stash_old said:

Try this ,not used it myself but says it works on 3b+ https://github.com/rkaczorek/astroberry-server and has pretty good instructions

I did bring up the subject on the Indi Forum , as those who also take part in will have noticed, but it was a cool response IMHO to those on this forum who were looking for a "One Stop" . Some valid points were made - such as waiting on Ubuntu Mate etc to bring out the over version for 3B+ but as pointed out all the work is done by unpaid volunteers ?

Still the Astroberry link did come out of the thread - Didn't know it worked on the 3B+.

trying this image right now will let you know if works ok

11 minutes ago, stash_old said:

Hint on wireless - had same trouble with berryboot version but WiFi started working after I created a Wireless profile via network manager and restarted RPI3b+

Still better than the rainbow screen ?

? yep better than the wtf screen rainbow so far so good going to  go further tomorrow al least works on 3b+ so far

Had to have a quick dabble language sorted connects to internet via rj45 won't update and date/time wont sync  keeps date in 2016 thus updates maybe won't work also firefox problem (know how to fix that bad boy( as for the wireless that's for tomorrow tried a new profile but would not save settings....

good news all working ok up to now wireless problem was case sensitive for my router name as cannot search for wireless networks you have to input details manually quite surprised at how much faster it is against my rpi 3b still a few bits and bobs to look at but over all looking good got to roll back firefox forgot about that.

Thanks for your update Fozzybear. 

I guess I might try it out as well now when I have a mo  - its really good of you to take it forward and provide some feedback   

I was going to go down a different route as per the Ubuntu forum procedure which I sent a link for but that required  use of the previous version of the Pi (as well as the 3B+) which I needed to de-install from its current media server use.

I intend to see how far I get with Indi and hopefully wont need to get Stellarmate !

However even if I give up on it at some point  it will provide some interest as there are a lot of clouds around at the moment........

35 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

quite surprised at how much faster

Doubt that but might look faster due to 5ghz running at 300mb not 67 on old 2.4. I have done testing and there is very little in the speed except for the comms.

Any how i am  glad you are moving along. ?

Please please back you SD card up - I snapped mine today when I put the RPI3b+ in its new case (didn't take out the SD card Doh !) - and I didn't back mine up - what a Rodney ?

4 weeks and you will have to do it all again - RPI4 rumoured to be coming out and nothing like he 3b etc - form factor change Ha Ha if you believe the rumour factory.

p.s. GPS using U-blox (well I do) works if you are aiming to go into the field - as of course the NTP wont work with no Internet connection.

1 minute ago, halli said:

there are a lot of clouds around at the moment

But the Met Office says it 100% clear here at the moment and for the next 8hrs - yeah and a pig fly past is due too - all clouds - who pays these muppets!

3 minutes ago, stash_old said:

Doubt that but might look faster due to 5ghz running at 300mb not 67 on old 2.4. I have done testing and there is very little in the speed except for the comms.

Please please back you SD card up - I snapped mine today when I put the RPI3b+ in its new case (didn't take out the SD card Doh !) - and I didn't back mine up - what a Rodney ?

4 weeks and you will have to do it all again - RPI4 rumoured to be coming out and nothing like he 3b etc - form factor change Ha Ha if you believe the rumour factory.

Just in the boot time and loading apps the proof of the pudding is using it under anger.....

5 minutes ago, stash_old said:

ouch also been there and the *&*((** expletive those little blighters you just forget about them yes I will back it up "win32diskimager" perhaps what do you think

1 minute ago, fozzybear said:

"win32diskimager" perhaps what do you think

its what I use, just didn't do it for the RPI3b+ dont forget the image backed up will be quite large if you add Astrometry Index files etc - but if you run remote Indiserver way it should stay below 8GB

12 minutes ago, stash_old said:

its what I use, just didn't do it for the RPI3b+ dont forget the image backed up will be quite large if you add Astrometry Index files etc - but if you run remote Indiserver way it should stay below 8GB

the extracted image is 10gb from astroberry

Archived