Narrowband

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ problem !

halli

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, stash_old said:

Not sure but I think Stellarmate uses 32bit o/s on RPI3b+ - Ask on IndiLib site.

RPI3b+ / RPI3b both will run in 32bit mode

http://www.raspberry-pi-geek.com/Archive/2017/23/Operating-the-Raspberry-Pi-3-in-64-bit-mode

Yes correct...SM is 32 bit OS, as there is no 64 bit Ubuntu mate...maybe Jasem (the Stellarmate author) has modded SM to work on the b+...and it’s not straight from the box...as it were.. :)

I have shown you that Ubuntu Mate runs on RPI3b+ .    Kstars  3.10 also runs.

I gave you a link to Berryboot which will get Ubuntu Mate working on a RPI3b+  ?

Unless you have a slow Internet link ,as it downloads the O/S,what can you loose!

Berryboot has been around for years so its pretty safe !

Its a simple copy berryboot data to a fat formatted SD no etcher or rufus needed   https://www.howtogeek.com/141325/how-to-multi-boot-your-raspberry-pi-with-berryboot/

The only other thing could be you have faulty RPI3b+ (memory freq problem) but as you say Raspian works ok so i doubt its that. Latest batch of RPI3b+ aren't effected apparently ?   its a loooong thread https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=208821&start=425

6 minutes ago, stash_old said:

I have shown you that Ubuntu Mate runs on RPI3b+ .    Kstars  3.10 also runs.

I gave you a link to Berryboot which will get Ubuntu Mate working on a RPI3b+  ?

Unless you have a slow Internet link ,as it downloads the O/S,what can you loose!

Berryboot has been around for years so its pretty safe !

Its a simple copy berryboot data to a fat formatted SD no etcher or rufus needed   https://www.howtogeek.com/141325/how-to-multi-boot-your-raspberry-pi-with-berryboot/

The only other thing could be you have faulty RPI3b+ (memory freq problem) but as you say Raspian works ok so i doubt its that. Latest batch of RPI3b+ aren't effected apparently ?   its a loooong thread https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=208821&start=425

Kstars 3.1....!, that must be nightly version then... ?

Ok guys just pausing for breath ! 

Difficult to digest all the input but thank you all  - my query seems to have created a bit of a vortex......

Its good to hear that its not just me that is having problems but also disappointing its not straightforward.  I was going to get Stellarmate but thought I would have a muck  around with Ubuntu and Indi first !

My own view having just entered this world is that there appears to be a software compatibility problem with Ubuntu version 16.04.2 and the Raspberry Pi 3 model B+ .

Look at the Stellarmate release notes below !

v1.2.9 Released 2018-04-16

• Fixed compatibitliy issues with Raspberry PI 3B+
  • Improved networking stack
  • Updated to INDI Library v1.7.0 and KStars 2.9.4

If stellarmate  uses  Ubuntu then I bet that fix relates to the compatability prob that we are experiencing  and it has been solved in Stellarmate !

It looks like if you have a model 3B+ then there is no where obvious to go apart from using Stellarmate if you want a simple life ! Or sit around hoping  that Ubuntu release another version for the model B+.

I have another Raspberry Pi (previous version) that I am using as a media server for my sonos system.  I am going to try the Ubuntu image on that and see what happens that will help prove it ...... ( without telling the wife !)

I am not succumbing to Stellarmate just yet but it depends on whether you want to enter the world of software development or  simply enjoy the fruits of someone else's labour .

I guess there is probably enough technical input to get stellarmate up and running with a complete imaging system and learning about Kstars and Ekos etc etc........ 

I will let you know what happens ! 

PS I have probably crossed with quite a few replies while I have been writing this !

33 minutes ago, halli said:

Ok guys just pausing for breath ! 

Difficult to digest all the input but thank you all  - my query seems to have created a bit of a vortex......

Its good to hear that its not just me that is having problems but also disappointing its not straightforward.  I was going to get Stellarmate but thought I would have a muck  around with Ubuntu and Indi first !

My own view having just entered this world is that there appears to be a software compatibility problem with Ubuntu version 16.04.2 and the Raspberry Pi 3 model B+ .

Look at the Stellarmate release notes below !

v1.2.9 Released 2018-04-16

• Fixed compatibitliy issues with Raspberry PI 3B+
  • Improved networking stack
  • Updated to INDI Library v1.7.0 and KStars 2.9.4

If stellarmate  uses  Ubuntu then I bet that fix relates to the compatability prob that we are experiencing  and it has been solved in Stellarmate !

It looks like if you have a model 3B+ then there is no where obvious to go apart from using Stellarmate if you want a simple life ! Or sit around hoping  that Ubuntu release another version for the model B+.

I have another Raspberry Pi (previous version) that I am using as a media server for my sonos system.  I am going to try the Ubuntu image on that and see what happens that will help prove it ...... ( without telling the wife !)

I am not succumbing to Stellarmate just yet but it depends on whether you want to enter the world of software development or  simply enjoy the fruits of someone else's labour .

I guess there is probably enough technical input to get stellarmate up and running with a complete imaging system and learning about Kstars and Ekos etc etc........ 

I will let you know what happens ! 

PS I have probably crossed with quite a few replies while I have been writing this !

you have stirred up a vortex even me buying into stellarmate

I think after some testing that I was incorrect, it does not seem to work out of the box on the b+, but Stellarmate does, so I apologise for my incorrect comments, I must have been using the 3b when I did it a few months ago..

So how did Jasem get Stellarmate to work then, there is obviously a workaround as he has done it with the Ubuntu mate on Stellarmate...!!

So for you coding wizards it must be doable.. :)

Thanks for the confirmation. 

I guess I might fiddle around with my older Pi and see how far I get with Ubuntu and Indi for the experience .   Just be losing a bit of clock speed which is a shame......

This guy claims to have fixed the problem ! please  see link below

https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/how-to-set-up-and-upgrade-ubuntu-mate-16-04-on-a-pi-2-3-3b/18125

Not read the detail  yet but certainly looks worth spending some time on...…

I am new to this malarkey and will try to give it a go  - but if any of you experienced Linux Geezers tried this and posted your conclusions about your findings here it may possibly  help a lot of frustrated 3B+ owners !!

Archived