Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

This pic is a bit out of date now but it shows the Maplins case off - it's the one with cubed foam which I've pressed the eyepieces into:

Pressed into John?

I now have the small Maplins case and was wondering how some people have got the 'tight fit' around their Eps?

Pressed into John?

I now have the small Maplins case and was wondering how some people have got the 'tight fit' around their Eps?

I lay the item in question on the foam to see which cubes need to be depressed. I then, as tight a spossible around the item, break the cubes free, in a block, down to a depth of a couple of inches or so. You should then be able to press the item down onto the cube block, which will then depress forming a hollow for the item. The foam points in the lid hold the item in place and over a little time, the depression becomes established. When you want to move things around you can always pull the cube chunks back up and they will, with a bit of fidlding, go back to their original place, more or less.

I finally have had my eyepiece case rearranged with the addition of of a new, yes new :) eyepiece. It is the same old Maplins case but I have taken the old foam out and replaced it with the Jessops stuff that I bought the other week, it is less firm than the old and was too big so I had to cut it to size to fit the case.

It is still a small collection, I could do with a couple of high power eyepieces that fit between 6 and 9mm and maybe a decent widefield.

Left to right, the case contents are:

*14mm Antares Speers-Waler

*6mm Williams Optics SPL

*32mm Celestron Omni plossl

*9mm Skywatcher 66

*My two eyepiece extensions, rear bike light (cheap red torch), LensPen & cheshire collimator

*Antares 8% moon filter

post-17251-13387753565_thumb.jpg

Just got my Maplins case, and I notice that the foam bits are all the way to the bottom.

What did others do here, did you try and cut it off the correct length or did you pull out all the ones for the space out and cut to length to lay flat in the hole?

Edited by sbooder

i tell you what i did and works very well,

1. first decide which little squares you wish to remove.

2. stick your fingers down the edges of the area to be removed all the way to the bottom and remove the chuck of foam.

3. this makes it very easy to cut the foam to the required depth when it`s removed and using sissors or sharp knife cut to requirements.

4. here comes the cleaver bit, put a little PVA glue round the bottom edge of the piece of foam you wish to replace and from the bottom slide it back into position.

5. leave it over night and it will be stuck back into place.

this leaves a very good look and finish which is better than lots of cuts and chops into the foam while it`s still in place.

Here is my Maplins case. Looks a bit barren at the mo. Plenty of room for some more of those green and black eyepieces I reckon :-D

Contains

•Various celestron filters

•Baader laser collimator

•Baader Sky Surfer V

•T Ring for Canon EOS

•Celestron Ultima Barlow

•Philips Spc900 (with long exposure mod)

•Televue Radian 5mm Eyepiece

5e0cae81-ee47-6331.jpg