Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

I got mine at Maplins. A deal was on their small cases, I missed their large cases deal last year but with my limited collection I figured the small one was adequate enough, was expecting the cut out foam but when I saw pluck foam I was well pleased!

Hi all I have two cases the first one I got was with my telescope in 2011 then we moved house in 2012 & they went missing so I bought another eight ep's all plossal's but three were planetary ep's which are outstanding and the other five came in a nice silver case with a red torch and five different coloured lenses to attach to each ep. As soon as I work out how to send the pictures of them I will :-) :-) :-) jimmythemoonlight :-) :-)

Long orthos and plossls don't give wide views, short orthos and plossls have painfully short eye relief

1.i dont have issues with short eye relief eye pieces.

2. dont have any plossls,meade rg`s are erfles with about 60-65 degree fov and quite generous eye relief,specially on the longer focal lenght.also the 16 and 28mm orthos have actually too generous eye relief for my liking.

and for really widest fov i have baader eudiascopics 35mm incoming.i binoview and dont do cyclops anymore.I am a planetary/double and bright dso observer due to light pollution in my area,as such i dont really need any ultra wide EP.

hope that explains contains of my ep box. ;)

• Like 1

Is the Baader Eudiascopic 35mm basically the same as the Celestron Ultima 35mm / Orion Ultrascopic 35mm ?

If so beware the amount of inwards focuser movement needed - I ran out of inwards focuser movement in a number of scopes I tried to use one in and that was in cyclops mode. If you can ge tthem to focus they are nice eyepieces although holding the correct eye position can be a challenge.

If the Eudiascopic is an entirely different design then ignore the above ! :smiley:

Baaders eudiascopics are the same 5 element masuyama design as Ultimas,Ultrascopic,parks gold series with a lot of eye relief and will require a bit of inwards focus.I am aware of the focusing issue,but I shouldnt have issue with that as i use binos in native focus and still have loads of inwards and outward focus available.

• Like 1

Baaders eudiascopics are the same 5 element masuyama design as Ultimas,Ultrascopic,parks gold series with a lot of eye relief and will require a bit of inwards focus.I am aware of the focusing issue,but I shouldnt have issue with that as i use binos in native focus and still have loads of inwards and outward focus available.

Thats good - optically they are very good indeed :smiley:

My intensions for buying this from the second hand markets was for my refractor ota but I may use it for my spare ep's and some other accessories. It's a sturdy well made box. Has a sticker on it, Sandvik Coromant... metal working tools apparently. Good for something, just not sure what to do with it yet.

DSCF9183_zps47zyzgnd.jpg

DSCF9184_zpsyl3unfsj.jpg

You put the pictures in this thread, what else can you do with it now? :grin:

Yeah, I guess I'm committed now.

Have worked out that 9 x 1.25" ep's will fit in evenly spaced. With what I have in spares, 3 x 1.25" ep's, 2 x 0.965" ep's, 1 x 0.965" Barlow, laser colimator with 2" adapter and night vision LED flashlight and still have a little room to spare.

• Like 1

WoW..!   :happy1:  :happy1:  :happy1:  

Reading this thread is like having an eyepiece overdose!

Nice collections, everybody!

I hope to maintain mine simple and usable, though, without any.. ehm 'monster eyepiece'!

Anyway, here is my set of eyepieces (all well known boys): 

Pan 24, Plossl 20, Nagler 7, Vixen 5, Nagler 3.5.

The ones I regularly use with my TV60 are: Pan 24, Nag 7, Nag 3.5 . 

I want to add a Nag13 as medium power. With this, the TV60 is complete. 

Plossl 20.. well, I am fond of it. It has stayed with me for half of my life, and will continue so, even if not much used. Vixen 5 for now stays too. 

In the future, after buying a dobson F6 or F5, I will likely add a Nag 9 to the set. 

If I get a dobson F6, I might add a TV Plossl 32 for extended nebulae and to barlow (getting a 16mm).

If I get a dobson F5, I think I am fine.  :rolleyes:

p.s.

no case for me, but just a photo bag. I like eyepieces standing up at the scope.

post-36931-0-57385400-1428606226.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks! I have been building it after a lot of reading, mostly here in SGL. 

Although choosing eyepieces based on exit pupil seems to be a controversial argument some time, I found that it helped me a lot. 

Exit pupil, field of view and magnification are the three ingredients of my selection. 

pan24 -> 4.0mm, 4.3deg, 15x

nag13 -> 2.2mm, 2.8deg, 27x

nag7   -> 1.2mm, 1.5deg, 51x

nag3.5-> 0.6mm, 0.7deg, 103x

Knowing that I like F5-F6 telescopes means that the exit pupil is very similar, simplifying the selection.

For a dob F6: the exit pupil is the same. 

=============================

nag13 -> 2.2mm, 0.9deg, 92x

nag7   -> 1.2mm, 0.5deg, 171x

=> a nag 9 covers the hole nicely (1.5mm, 0.6deg, 133x)

For a dob F5: the exit pupil increases a bit, but in a nice way  (assuming dob10")

=============================================

pan24 -> 4.8mm, 1.25deg, 52x

nag13 -> 2.6mm, 0.8deg, 96x

nag7   -> 1.4mm, 0.4deg, 179x

=> again a nag 9 covers the hole nicely (1.8mm, 0.6deg, 139x)

In summary, as other users reported already, from a medium power (exit pupil 2.0mm) you scale up or down: 

Basically, exit pupils: 

4.0mm -> low power ***

2.8mm -> medium/low power **

2.0mm -> medium power ***

1.4mm -> medium/high power ***

1.0mm -> high power ***

0.6mm -> very high power *

where:

***: very useful

** : useful if the telescope is sufficiently large (e.g. >=200mm)

*  : useful if small telescope

If the eyepieces have same field of view, they work nicely together too. 

For the scale of exit pupils shown above, from 2.0mm you multiply or divide by 1.4 and you get the other values. To me 1.4 makes a nice perceptible distance. 

• Like 3