Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

ohhhh OK. here's a shot of mine (they were feeling left out). put some notes on in case anyone wondered what some of them or the widgets were. :) BTW the ethos extension is a 28mm Baader fine tuning ring with one of the Delrin 2" caps screwed into the end. might have overdone it on the high mag end with 'stops' every 1mm but some were cheapies and the seeing varies so much even in a short time since I got them, I have used or at least tried them all.

post-17776-133877519208_thumb.jpg

Edited by Moonshane
  • Like 1

As if we are ever short of excuses, sorry, reasons for buying new kit :)

absolutely Michael. the way I look at it, we are helping out our wives, girlfriend, (husbands) etc. every Christmas, birthday, anniversary etc for the next 20 years is already covered, planned in advance and they don't even have to think about what we want - we just order it and then hand it over for quarantine until the event. simples! :)

absolutely Michael. the way I look at it, we are helping out our wives, girlfriend, (husbands) etc. every Christmas, birthday, anniversary etc for the next 20 years is already covered, planned in advance and they don't even have to think about what we want - we just order it and then hand it over for quarantine until the event. simples! :)

Somehow, that seems familiar. I should get a Radian 10mm on my birthday later this week :)

ohhhh OK. here's a shot of mine (they were feeling left out). put some notes on in case anyone wondered what some of them or the widgets were. :) BTW the ethos extension is a 28mm Baader fine tuning ring with one of the Delrin 2" caps screwed into the end. might have overdone it on the high mag end with 'stops' every 1mm but some were cheapies and the seeing varies so much even in a short time since I got them, I have used or at least tried them all.

Nice case by the way. I can always show this to the missus to argue my case is still very modest :)

Yours is none too shabby, quite a bit of black-and-green stuff!

Indeed. I do like things to look like a set (I'm a but obsessive I suppose) and even initially got the BGOs partly as they had a good reputation but also as they were black and green (ok and white). :)

Indeed. I do like things to look like a set (I'm a but obsessive I suppose) and even initially got the BGOs partly as they had a good reputation but also as they were black and green (ok and white). :)

Loved my circle-T ortho 25mm of years back, hated the shorter focal lengths due to their short eye relief, despite great image quality. Sold the lot with my 6" F/8

they do have short ER which makes them pretty impossible for spec wearers on the whole. BUT if you can cope with being close to the eye lens they are, I agree, excellent in every way - cheap(ish), top quality, top performance and also small and light.

Hi everyone,

Being a newb I don't have enough eyepieces to warrant a case yet but I do have a great idea for acquiring foam!

My other major hobby is music and I have a recording studio at home - when I was fitting out the studio I needed a lot of sound proofing foam... you can probably guess where this is going. There are thousands of places to purchase acoustic foam - mainly in bulk but not always, some place allow you to buy specific cut measurements... See link:

eFoam, foam cut to size: Flat acoustic foam

So that would be my solution (mind you when I have enough eyepieces to need a case and foam I already have about 100 tiles in the loft that I didn't use!)

Hope this is useful

Simon

very nice set and quite varied too. how do you find they all compare?

42mm Vixen LVW - really comfortable to use and sharp right to the edge. Almost perfect...

32mm Meade Plössl - nice crisp views and good light transmission, but only 50° fov. I use it as a 'finder' when I don't want to break out the 2" eyepieces.

25mm Celestron Plössl - standard performance, nothing special. Good value though.

22mm T4 Nagler - perfect for DSOs, huge sharp field but sensitive eye placement. On a short fl Newt needs a coma corrector.

13mm Vixen LVW - same as the 42mm, really comfortable to use

9mm Vixen NLV - very sharp and contrasty, perfect for planets

9mm TO Orthoscopic - similar sharpness to NLV, but narrower field and a tiny bit brighter image.

7mm T6 Nagler - sharp right to the edge, but a lot dimmer image than an ortho. Critical eye placement and some blackouts.

7mm TO Orthoscopic - very sharp and clear. On planets makes the Nagler look dim and fuzzy. Very narrow fov.

6mm TMB Planetary - an oversized Plössl...

4mm Vixen NLV - only 45° fov but 20mm eye relief and rivals Orthos for sharpness and clarity

Like most things it's horses for courses. LVWs and Naglers for wide field/dso, NLVs and Orthos for planets. Plössls and 'planetary' eyepieces, decent all rounders but not really up to the best.

I used to have a Radian. In sharpness it was about a third of the way from a Nagler to a NLV. A very good eyepiece but neither one thing or the other; another all rounder, but significantly better than a Plössl.

cheers Spock

great to see the details of the eyepieces you have. I agree totally about Orthos and their brightness. for planetary and Lunar, even with my manual dobs, I am tending to reach for them first nowadays. I was using my 6-3 Nagler zoom last night on the moon and swapped it briefly for my 7mm BGO - there was a really striking difference in the brightness and the image almost looked 'washed'. might have been the seeing too of course but if you can stand the eye relief Orthos are the business for solar system and doubles. I looked at Alcor and Mizar last night with my 18mm BGO and this was truly stunning. perfectly framed and really beautiful.

What a great set :)

Interesting that you still have a place for the 2 TV plossl's in there - but they are really great eyepieces as are the Nagler zooms.

When I move away from the "black and green" it will be towards Pentax XW's - the only EP's I've tried which surpassed (only by a tiny bit mind) my TV's :)

Yes the 2 TV plossls are great but I might chop them but for what its worth I might keep them. I can't make my mind up.

What did you make of the pentax XW's then. I would love to look through one of these 1 day. Are they really better than TV? You used to have some I recall so how come you got rid?