SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

I got mine from Maplins - it was around £15 I think. It has that cube-cut foam which is easy to pluck out as needed or, as I do, to push down into indentations in which the eyepieces sit. There is foam in the lid as well to keep the eyepieces in place when the case is shut.

Found one on maplin £30 I think it was. Will get one soon as. I want to get the book first left turn at Orion. And read some more.

Found a case today in Focus DIY. It's a black plastic small suitcase style and internally it measures 26cm wide by 15cm deep by 8cm high with twin lock down clips on the lid. Although it's part of their el cheapo crappo range (it comes in at £1.99) it's very sturdy and well made. It's completely empty inside, no dividers so you'd need to find your own protective material but in a way that's good as you can design it to fit your needs.

No, you're right Moonshane. He should stop, for the sake of his own health. Indeed, it's a known fact that any astronomer's eyepiece case with a more than 50:50 ratio of "green/black" to "other colours" is in danger of imploding in a right old mess of matter/anti-matter. As such, I'd like to extend my charitable grasp in his direction, and suggest he unburden his collection of the vile, hideous aberration that is the Ethos 13mm, and send it to me. I'm such a kind bloke that I won't even charge him shipping! How nice am I? :)

Edited by Takahashi
  • Like 1

Yeah

I think its getting a bit extreme now and its time to stop!

The only other eyepieces I'm considering are the 2.5XO and a 5mm ethos if one ever gets made. If not then thats it.

Just a note but last night I was comparing my speers at 8mm vs the 8mm ethos on the moon and there was nothing really in it. Both showed the full moon in the FoV with the ethos showing just a tad more FoV. Makes me wonder why I just spent a fortune on the damn thing! Both showed the same amount of detail. Interestingly the ethos gave me loads of floaters whilst the speers was prone to kidney beaning if my eye wasn't in exactly the right position.

I noticed though that you subconciously placed the 5mm XO in a place where you cannot fit the 2.5mm in the case - wise decision :)

That's a really nice offer the help Gareth break his addiction. Just to show I'm even more of a decent chap I'll take the 21.

On a serious point though I personally wouldn't buy another Ethos. I love my 13mm and it's a superb eyepiece as a workhorse wide field but I honestly think that the optics whilst being excellent and as good as anything else are not actually better than eg 12.5mm BGOs or what have you. The sole difference to me anyway is the larger field (which is spectacular) but owners of great quality plossls etc should not feel left out. Don't get me wrong though, I have half an eye on a 26mm Nagler so I do love the wide field!

What a great set :)

Interesting that you still have a place for the 2 TV plossl's in there - but they are really great eyepieces as are the Nagler zooms.

When I move away from the "black and green" it will be towards Pentax XW's - the only EP's I've tried which surpassed (only by a tiny bit mind) my TV's :)

OK, I new about aperture fever, it seems you can contract eyepiece fever at the other end :)

sure can Michael. but to be fair a bigger mirror / objective really does genuinely, honestly and without a word of a lie, need a heavier (and as a result bigger and more expensive) eyepiece but of course only to ensure the balance is right.

(please don't mention the plossls........:))

Edited by Moonshane

sure can Michael. but to be fair a bigger mirror / objective really does genuinely, honestly and without a word of a lie, need a heavier (and as a result bigger and more expensive) eyepiece but of course only to ensure the balance is right.

(please don't mention the plossls........:))

Not just that: when buying a smaller objective (80mm F=480 in my case), to make full use of the maximum FOV, at the right exit pupil, I will definitely need that 31mm Nagler! :)

I was quite chuffed with it too. Only issue is where I have pulled all the foam out some of the sides are a bit loose. Maybe some card inserts?

you could try a foam camping mat cut to size and maybe glued in with PVA or similar? obviously make sure it has throughly dried out before you put your gear back in

Not just that: when buying a smaller objective (80mm F=480 in my case), to make full use of the maximum FOV, at the right exit pupil, I will definitely need that 31mm Nagler! :)

brilliant! another reason not only for another eyepiece but another scope!

you could try a foam camping mat cut to size and maybe glued in with PVA or similar? obviously make sure it has throughly dried out before you put your gear back in

actually I think i have the perfect thing. Its some sort of foam boards I used to make my lightbox. Should work a treat!

Thanks