Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

I use a case I got from Telescope House some years back. Most slip into pre plucked holes. The bigger stuff, goes in sideways in the rectangular slots.....

Cheers,

Andy.

ps: The threaded adapter is for the Speers variable eyepiece. Turns it into a 3 - 4.8mm from a 5 - 8mm.

Lots of interesting stuff there Andy!

Could you please annotate the picture - I can't work out what a few items are!

I use a case I got from Telescope House some years back. Most slip into pre plucked holes. The bigger stuff, goes in sideways in the rectangular slots.....

6776360809_308a98e259_b.jpg

Cheers,

Andy.

ps: The threaded adapter is for the Speers variable eyepiece. Turns it into a 3 - 4.8mm from a 5 - 8mm.

I'll add some info, as a lot of the stuff is a bit 'different' :)

Starting from the top left and working down in columns.....

Tal 25mm Plossl/Konig -

Generation II type. Just had my Tal 8x50 in bits, to flock the interior and I reckon this lens is what's used in the eyepiece of the finder. Most of mine(I have 4 or 5) are 55 degrees Tfov. All dependant on the I/D of the field stop.

Meade 20mm Research Grade Wide Field(Erfle?) -

Stonkingly good. Sharp as a pin. 68 degrees Tfov

Bushnell 16.8mm Ortho (Have read this may actually be an RKE) -

Bit more info on this. Supposedly from the same factory as the Meade RG's. Made for Bushnell spotting scopes, many years back. You may also see them sold as 'Faworski' Orthos, after Sheldon Faworski, who makes these up. He's the guy who sells all the Carton stuff. I think he was involved with Apogee inc, in the states, that used to sell interesting stuff.

University Optics 12mm Konig - As sharp as an ortho in the centre of the fov. Calculated Tfov as 58 degrees. Eye relief is much better than is often reported.

Kokusai Kohki 12mm Kellner - It may be a lowly kellner, but it's built as well as their orthos. Lovely on small fov faint objects. Lets a lot light through. Folks are possibly put off by the cheap horrible ones out there. Helps that I have mainly slow scopes of course.

Siebert Optics Starsplitter 4.9mm modified ortho -

Afov of 65 degrees. haven't measured it's True fov yet. Very nice sharp eyepiece. Felt it was as good as my old 5mm volcano topped ortho.

Kokusai Kohki 6mm Kellner -

Thoughts, as with the other KK kellners.

Bushnell 7mm Ortho -

As with the other Bushnell eyepiece, a cracking piece. Ever so slightly wider fov compared to a volcano topped ortho. Easily as sharp if not better. Sold my volcano top and flat top 7mm orthos and kept this.

Kokusai Kohki 9mm Kellner -

Thoughts, as with the other KK kellners.

Nikon 10mm WF -

Wonderful, wonderful eyepiece. 72 degrees Afov. Tack sharp, zero aberations. This is an eyepiece from Nikons WF spotter scope range. Years ago I read an article by Marcus Ludes regarding these eyepieces and their use in astro scopes. He reckoned they were as good as Pentax XW's. Found one at a very good price, years back. Needs an adapter made for use in a std 1.25" mode. Nikon have brought out a new astro range called the NAV SW's. I believe they are based on the spotter eyepieces.

Tal 24mm UWA -

Back in the early 2000's Tal designed a range of SWA & UWA eyepieces. This is the only one that was widely released. Tal quote it as 80 degrees afov. Nonsense.......it's roughly 95 degrees!!! It's a lovely, easy on the eye, 'piece. Good large eyelens, no nasty blackouts or kidney beaning effects, eye relief is comfortable and full field is visible without crushing your lashes on the lens. VERY sharp & contasty, in the important bit, the centre of the fov. There are a few reviews on cloudy nights regarding it. Probably best for slower scopes. I'll NEVER sell this. Never. I kept this and sold my W.O. 28mm Uwan & U.O. 32mm MK80.

Antares Speers Waler 5-8mm Zoom/variable lens -

As good if not better than all the reviews say. Quoted as between 84-89 Afov. Big eyelens and good eye relief. Surprisingly sharp and contasty. If you ever see one of these for sale, buy it. You will not be dissapointed. I've heard these may have been finally discontinued :) The threaded adapter next to it, screws between the body and bottom lens. It converts the 5-8 focal length into a 3-4.8 .

The lump of aluminium is my Helix-mfg holographic laser collimator

Cheers,

Andy.

Mmm looking great Adam,

IF I was to upgrade anyone of my eyepieces it would probably b the same as you and go for the 13E as its my most used EP by a long shot followed closely behind with the 35mm Panoptic.

Thanks :) I am very jealous of your photographic set up, so that puts us on a more even playing field!

Just about to buy a 550D :)

The ethos is a great step up from 13t6 nagler if that is what you have. I used to have one but aside from all the other perks of an ethos, the eye relief was MUCH better for me and that is something that really affects how much I use an eyepiece.

So that is why I could justify the price of a second hand ethos, it is always going to be my 'work horse'.

Antares Speers Waler 5-8mm Zoom/variable lens -

As good if not better than all the reviews say. Quoted as between 84-89 Afov. Big eyelens and good eye relief. Surprisingly sharp and contasty. If you ever see one of these for sale, buy it. You will not be dissapointed. I've heard these may have been finally discontinued :) The threaded adapter next to it, screws between the body and bottom lens. It converts the 5-8 focal length into a 3-4.8 .

I agree with this 100% :icon_salut:

Edited by Kef9

I am sure the views you are getting with those are exceptional Nick, is it not the object that one is observing that is ultimately the only real consideration? I still remember how, when using my 6se and 32mm plossl ep, I felt when seeing the Moon and Saturn never mind so many other amazing objects.

Best Wishes :icon_salut:

my god there's some spondooly's worth of glass in this thread. i love nosing at others peeps gear though, does that make me wierd ?

i like the "work in progress" post. with the one e/p in a big case !:icon_salut:

I am sure the views you are getting with those are exceptional Nick, is it not the object that one is observing that is ultimately the only real consideration? I still remember how, when using my 6se and 32mm plossl ep, I felt when seeing the Moon and Saturn never mind so many other amazing objects.

Best Wishes :icon_salut:

Thanks Alan. I'm actually happy with the set I have now. No where near the standard of the Nags but no where near the cost either. My only real regret was letting the BGO's go :).

Thanks Alan. I'm actually happy with the set I have now. No where near the standard of the Nags but no where near the cost either. My only real regret was letting the BGO's go ;).

pm me, you can borrow my 7mm BGO for a few months if you want mate :) can't seem to tear myself away from that 13mm Ethos :icon_salut:

Edited by Nexus 6

Thank you for the very kind offer Alan. Have you not considered an Antares x1.6 for the etho. They apparently pair well and would give you roughly an 8mm etho.

Nop, to be honest I prefer the eyepiece on its own Nick. Like so much it would be interesting to see how well it would do if I could try one but I am very happy with what I have atm

I do have a Tal 2x but will soon be letting it go, it performed well with my 24 Pan using the dob which is also leaving.

Alan you can borrow my Antares 1.6x barlow anytime you like, just pm me mate. Provided the upcoming forcast isn't 3 weeks of beautifully clear skies :)

It really does work extremely well. What else is leaving? The 24 Pan or Dob? I presume you meant the 24 Pan. Be careful, the thing will be easily missed if you get rid of it in a hurry! I really love everything about it, especially giving me my lowest power view through my pst.

I use an Antares 1.6x 2" barlow with my 8mm and 6mm Ethos for 5mm and 3.75mm - very impressive results, just like having two more Ethos. It's a pity the Antares barlows are so thin on the ground.

I presume you meant the 24 Pan. Be careful, the thing will be easily missed if you get rid of it in a hurry! I really love everything about it, especially giving me my lowest power view through my pst.

Yeah I agree Adam, It's one of the eyepieces I shall be keeping hold of for the foreseeable future. With it offering the widest FOV possible in a 1.25 inch format has a lot of uses especially where the instrument is limited to 1.25inch accessories.

A final (dare I say that?!) photo of my eyepiece case with pretty much every eyepiece I wanted. I would like a 13mm Ethos but that aint gonna happen!

The 2.5x Powermate allows me to plug the gaps between the 24mm, 13mm and 7mm and expand the focal length range:

The 24mm = 9.6mm

13mm = 5.2mm

7mm = 2.8mm (used rarely!)

Including my obligatory copy of S&T Pocket Sky Atlas which lives in my eyepiece case. :)

post-21030-133877729941_thumb.jpg

Edited by MjrTom

Rother Valley Optics lists it.

But is it ever in stock :)

I've been having a look at the contents of your eyepiece case Andy (via your post above of course !). Some very interesting items you have in there :icon_eek:

Rother Valley Optics lists it.

Rother Valley told me back in early Jan they would be getting some in soon, but as yet they don't seem to have materialised.

Scopes N Skies said they had no plans to re-stock it.

I bought one from the States too. It's expensive after all the charges have been added.

Tim

Hmm - I may have gone a bit ovr the top with this one but it should be better tha the toolbox with cut up car sponges I'm using at the moment - the only slight worry I have is that I noticed everyone is using diced foam whilst this is a solid foam block - appreciate any tips on cutting the foam to shape - I'm thinking drill with circular wood bit or bread knife at the moment:eek:

Aluminium Flight Case With Foam Block (680x300x190mm) | eBay

Alan you can borrow my Antares 1.6x barlow anytime you like

That's very kind of you Adam, as they are so difficult to get hold of I am going to decline though. I would hate it to get damaged or lost in the post :icon_eek:

As for my 24mm Panoptic, its going no where, as has been mentioned by yourself and others it is a superb eyepiece and I do not envisage ever letting it go. Views on the Moon are spectacular using it as it virtually fills the fov using the 925. :angry4:

On the updated kit posted, the collections are fantastic and a pleasure to see although they could be dangerous on your wallet. :)