Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

4 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

Yes. The Orion is the old body style design that JOC used to provide to Meade (now owned by Orion) and the ES is the new body style. I've got a Meade branded one and there are some reflections from the plastic inner wall between the two groups of lenses. Flocking this section will improve the contrast.

How old is yours.  I have not noticed any internal reflection in mine, but i have not used it a ton and i may not have noticed it as of yet 

Just now, Ricochet said:

Until you buy a binoviewer. ;)

Lol......

Yes, been there, bought the T-Shirt etc....

I have pairs of LV20mm and LV10mm for when the bino's come out to play. I think doubling up the LVW's would a) create serious balance issues and more importantly b) put me on a diet of bread and water for the foreseeable future 😂.

33 minutes ago, Mike Q said:

How old is yours.  I have not noticed any internal reflection in mine, but i have not used it a ton and i may not have noticed it as of yet 

I've no idea. I bought it second hand perhaps 5 years ago. However, I would hazard a guess that there's a 99.999% chance that the same issue exists in all examples and that the reason I noticed it was down to a) Using eyepieces with absolutely top notch coatings, transmission and baffling and b) Becoming quite picky about light scatter issues as I've become a more experienced observer.

37 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Lol......

Yes, been there, bought the T-Shirt etc....

I have pairs of LV20mm and LV10mm for when the bino's come out to play. I think doubling up the LVW's would a) create serious balance issues and more importantly b) put me on a diet of bread and water for the foreseeable future 😂.

Oh yes, I didn't mean that you should buy a second set of LVWs, but that you would need a whole other set of (smaller) eyepiece pairs.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

I've no idea. I bought it second hand perhaps 5 years ago. However, I would hazard a guess that there's a 99.999% chance that the same issue exists in all examples and that the reason I noticed it was down to a) Using eyepieces with absolutely top notch coatings, transmission and baffling and b) Becoming quite picky about light scatter issues as I've become a more experienced observer.

I usually use it to get up close and personal with the moon and planets.  The next time i am out... whenever that is I will take note of what I see. 

8 hours ago, Mike Q said:

I had to rearrange a couple months ago.  I run two cases on for 2 inch eyeypieces and one for 1.25" eyepieces.  I have a third case that holds nothing but filters. 

IMG_20221126_083242865.jpg

IMG_20221126_081257478.jpg

Pot calling the kettle black me thinks😂

28 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

I think he's referring to your "showing off" comment, Mike.

I know exactly what he is saying lol.  My comment is a distraction from the  fact that my case is almost as neat and as in order as his. 

I'm really enjoying this shadow foam stuff now i've gotten to grips with how to cut it relatively neatly - here used for an accessory case. My first efforts looked like small mice had nibbled the foam - I've realised the secret is use a big broad bladed knife (for straight cuts at least). 

IMG_3498.jpeg.7bf8cd7a8e0e6b14ba11ffef711db51e.jpeg

IMG_3497.jpeg.a8a983f8c63f24270970c01d165300b8.jpeg

• Like 8

58 minutes ago, josefk said:

I'm really enjoying this shadow foam stuff now i've gotten to grips with how to cut it relatively neatly - here used for an accessory case. My first efforts looked like small mice had nibbled the foam - I've realised the secret is use a big broad bladed knife (for straight cuts at least). 

IMG_3498.jpeg.7bf8cd7a8e0e6b14ba11ffef711db51e.jpeg

IMG_3497.jpeg.a8a983f8c63f24270970c01d165300b8.jpeg

That looks proper swish.  I bet you feel like a Bond villain about to assasinate a diplomat and plunge NATO and the Warsaw pact into war when you take stuff out

Shadowfoam is like dough.  It can sense fear.  You must cut with absolute conviction that you are correct because if it sense a hint of uncertainty it will take you.  I ended up making stencils for all my eyepieces by measuring them and printing them out (used Fusion 360 as I have it on the computer).  Then I printed them out, stuck them on the foam and started cutting.

I love it.  I've got a massive wheeled case now which had some poorly pick and pluck in it, I've got just enough Shadowfoam to do the whole case if I do it two layers deep.  Not sure what I’d put in it though.  Too big for just the AZ-GTI, too small for the 130PDS.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

I've got a massive wheeled case now which had some poorly pick and pluck in it, I've got just enough Shadowfoam to do the whole case if I do it two layers deep.  Not sure what I’d put in it though.  

A body, perhaps? 🤔

• Haha 3

I haven’t bought any new eyepieces for more than a year. Quite an accomplishment! I might be cured 😉Tonight I decided to bring my orthos back into the case. There are definitely times when they have an edge. Added back in are the 5mm and 6mm BGO plus the 7mm Meade Research Grade Ortho. Should be good with Mars at the moment. 

108FAD4E-2455-4F99-BE1D-2840468CD0D3.thumb.jpeg.9c1ebcdad2ed740b78f1057317ef58ed.jpeg

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Ratlet said:

That looks proper swish.  I bet you feel like a Bond villain about to assasinate a diplomat and plunge NATO and the Warsaw pact into war when you take stuff out

Shadowfoam is like dough.  It can sense fear.  You must cut with absolute conviction that you are correct because if it sense a hint of uncertainty it will take you.  I ended up making stencils for all my eyepieces by measuring them and printing them out (used Fusion 360 as I have it on the computer).  Then I printed them out, stuck them on the foam and started cutting.

I love it.  I've got a massive wheeled case now which had some poorly pick and pluck in it, I've got just enough Shadowfoam to do the whole case if I do it two layers deep.  Not sure what I’d put in it though.  Too big for just the AZ-GTI, too small for the 130PDS.

You've 100% nailed it - absolute conviction required (and i wait for my partner to go out so i can use the big kitchen knives). 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, josefk said:

You've 100% nailed it - absolute conviction required (and i wait for my partner to go out so i can use the big kitchen knives). 😇

I'm fortunate that my wife is fairly crafty and has a fairly impressive collection of sharp knives.  Fortunately she's not also got an obsession with "Women Who Kill".

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

With sincere apologies to both pluckfoam and shadow foam connoisseurs (😱🤪🤣), this is my ‘Big eyepiece’ case in current guise. I promise I will sort the foam soon, honest! Slight overlap with the 17mm Type 4 and 17.5mm Morpheus but they each have their strengths I think.

4CD95A2A-6772-4DBE-9C14-5BC2A2E28B0F.jpeg

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Stu said:

With sincere apologies to both pluckfoam and shadow foam connoisseurs

I promise I will sort the foam soon, honest!

I an disinclined to believe you - you've been saying both of these for years 😂😂

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/02/2023 at 22:24, badhex said:

I an disinclined to believe you - you've been saying both of these for years 😂😂

Damn it! Someone actually read what I wrote! 🤣

This is an old case which fortunately had decent foam in it, so I’ve used it for my small 1.25” eyepieces; Orthos plus nag zooms and binoviewing pairs, oh and the Zeiss Abbé Barlow too.

334263C0-B500-4A1F-9C3B-EA1755C39384.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Stu said:

Damn it! Someone actually read what I wrote! 🤣

This is an old case which fortunately had decent foam in it, so I’ve used it for my small 1.25” eyepieces; Orthos plus nag zooms and binoviewing pairs, oh and the Zeiss Abbé Barlow too.

334263C0-B500-4A1F-9C3B-EA1755C39384.jpeg

Haha nothing gets past these 👀 😂

Nice case! 

• Haha 1