SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

6 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

Only thing is I have a 2" 28mm and no space. 

20220510_205159.jpg

Get a deeper case and switch to vertical storage.  You'll be able to get so many more eyepieces into the same length by width real estate.  You'll just have to memorize where things are.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, cajen2 said:

New case, all the EPs, etc stored vertically. All nice and neat. Now room for one or two more! 😉

IMG_20220524_133607.thumb.jpg.597657bb85e1f14a77d24f752acf996e.jpg

Looking good

I'm not keen on carrying two cases around....😉

I'm thinking of marking the end caps somehow for easy ID, although I've memorised the position of nearly everything.

I have another Morpheus (6.5mm) on order, so another space will be filled.

Edited by cajen2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Spock said:

I'm not keen on storing mine vertically. I like to open the case and just look at them :biggrin:

I try to have the best of both worlds.

I just wish the eyepieces themselves were better looking. I think I will only be happy with the case if I buy 12 identical 18.2 mm Delites 🤣

20220512_130856.thumb.jpg.71e0c5c0dd01f1dbeaa8ea1658872de6.jpg

Edited by Ags
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, cajen2 said:

I'm not keen on carrying two cases around....😉

I'm thinking of marking the end caps somehow for easy ID, although I've memorised the position of nearly everything.

I have another Morpheus (6.5mm) on order, so another space will be filled.

Label maker.... problem solved.

1 minute ago, Mike Q said:

Label maker.... problem solved.

Sure. It's one of the options. A Sharpie would do just as well. Or I might well leave it and rely on my (ageing) memory.....😉

Just now, cajen2 said:

Sure. It's one of the options. A Sharpie would do just as well. Or I might well leave it and rely on my (ageing) memory.....😉

But a label maker is like a toy and your partner will label EVERYTHING 

My wife bought one a while back.  I woke up with a label on my forehead that said husband.  We had to have a talk after that.

3 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

I'm not keen on storing mine vertically. I like to open the case and just look at them :biggrin:

I’ve tried both and settled now on storing them (mostly) horizontally in two cases (the Ethos mainly for Dob only)… you certainly get more in one case when stored vertically, but without labels, it was tricky remembering which was which 🤣

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Dave scutt said:

My new case has lots of room for some more ep's, I like to lay them flat to admire them😁

Can I guess the gaps? top row: ES 4.7/82. Bottom row: ES 18/82, ES 24/82? 😀

• Like 3

Realised I didn't post an update to my 2" case since getting the Lacerta 40mm ED. Considering that the space it occupies had a 2" diagonal in it for like ten years the foam has sprung back surprisingly well, although there's an OCD-inducing offset to the layout now! 

20220609_082514.thumb.jpg.6fd03776a0fbb31e52962e96f4ffd44e.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, badhex said:

Realised I didn't post an update to my 2" case since getting the Lacerta 40mm ED. Considering that the space it occupies had a 2" diagonal in it for like ten years the foam has sprung back surprisingly well, although there's an OCD-inducing offset to the layout now! 

20220609_082514.thumb.jpg.6fd03776a0fbb31e52962e96f4ffd44e.jpg

Just an enquiry as to why you have the Lacerta 40mm eyepiece when you also have the 41mm Panoptic?

One reason I can think of-  You could keep a nebula filter on one of them, it’s an avoidable way to reduce hassle in the dark, finding the filter, attaching it carefully without dropping or cross threads, then removing it afterwards.

Just wondering if that applies to yourself?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NGC 1502 said:

Just an enquiry as to why you have the Lacerta 40mm eyepiece when you also have the 41mm Panoptic?

One reason I can think of-  You could keep a nebula filter on one of them, it’s an avoidable way to reduce hassle in the dark, finding the filter, attaching it carefully without dropping or cross threads, then removing it afterwards.

Just wondering if that applies to yourself?

Haha yes it's a very good question 😅

Actually, I originally wanted the 40mm ED, but couldn't find it anywhere even second hand as most folks tend to keep HD of them, so I bought a Panoptic 41mm. Later, I got the 35mm ED when I realised that I can't feasibly travel with the 41mm (it's 1kg!).

Then, very recently, I discovered another source for the 40mm ED and I decided to snap it up in case it disappears forever, so I've ended up with an odd selection of very close together EPs 😂

All of this said, the 40mm does serve another use, which is that again it's much lighter than the Panoptic so it's useful when using my scopetech mount zero which is super sensitive to balance. This means all my EPs except the panoptic and orthos are roughly in the 350g - 450g range so I don't have to rebalance just to get maximum FOV. At this point, I imagine the 35mm will see least use, although I'm yet to try the 40mm with my ZS73, and the exit pupil might just be too large. I like the idea with the nebula filters though! 

• Like 1

Indeed I understand balance problems. A top mate with a very nice Vixen 103ED has struggled with that issue.

And the 41 Pan is a heavy job, my own 35 Pan is heavy enough😳.     A while back I considered a 31 Nag going for a great price, resisted (just!!).

• Like 1