Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

2 minutes ago, Stardaze said:

The problem is whether your collection is likely to change much. The bag works on that score but probably not best if you want a massive collection in one place. Bought a little nanuk case but have outgrown it a bit too quickly. Maybe one day I could see a small bino set in it..

I have around 12 normal sized EP's and 4 monster XWA sized ones. The other items would be a two 12.5 mm EP's and a binoviewer. I think I'm pretty covered.
I also have a filter case.
In one place is the idea, so I imagine one row will be take up with XWA's, and then two normal sized EP's per slot. Leaving space.

Edited by Deadlake
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Deadlake said:

The other option, a lot cheaper elsewhere is this:

https://www.vanguardworld.co.uk/products/supreme-46d

I like the way the divider comes out, and is then a soft bag. Interesting design.

The puck foam can disintegrate with time and is not space efficent.

the bag i use that stardaze mentions fits all my ethos in even my 21, deviders move to suit

• Like 2

On 22/04/2021 at 07:49, Stu said:

I was getting fed up with having my solar observing accessories spread across different cases, so decided to put everything into one.

I now have my two binoviewers, Baader Coolwedge, three sets of eyepieces, eye guards, AP Barcon, various extension tubes and GPCs all in a Pelicase which makes life a lot easier.

I only ever use 25mm orthos in the Baader Zeiss Mark IVs, and normally stick with 40mm Plossls in the TS Binoviewers for the PST Mod but have some 32mms for when conditions allow. I use extension tubes to vary the mag in the Herschel Wedge setup which saves messing around with eyepiece changes, works well and the quality remains high.

There is a slightly random MicroGuide eyepiece and red light illuminator in the bottom right corner but it doesn’t have another home currently.

45D06B99-3BAE-4B6A-9A9F-4026A1C258D2.jpeg

2 pairs of eyes. 2 sets of binos. Very efficient Stu! 😁

• Haha 2

On 12/05/2021 at 17:59, Stardaze said:

The problem is whether your collection is likely to change much. The bag works on that score but probably not best if you want a massive collection in one place. Bought a little nanuk case but have outgrown it a bit too quickly. Maybe one day I could see a small bino set in it..

This bag has more flexibility, you can buy another divider bag. See

https://www.vanguardworld.co.uk/products/divider-bag-46

These are quite good to use on its own. So have hard shell for when you go to a dark site and expand by buying a divider bag. For the capacity best value I can find.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been ‘inspired’ by @faulksycamera bag idea. Looks to be perfect, now that I’ve added two new recent EP’s. Really only thinking of a couple of filters now this year and possibly an APM UFF 30 to add.

Currently the bag consists of an XW 5 & 7, Ethos 10, APM 13 & 20. Plus Astronomic OIII, Baader contrast booster, ND filter, collimation kit, cleaning cloth etc.

62E2B94F-B487-43EA-9FB9-7ACBB6E94923.jpeg

• Like 10

31 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

A camera bag is very flexible and at night easy to find which EP, filter you are looking for.

IMG_4401.thumb.jpeg.7458bdb5b8c406d4aa7a9a7830d63a0a.jpeg

This bag also fits it side a hard flight case.

That's a nice padded bag with many compartments; where did you get it from?

Edited by Kon

28 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

A camera bag is very flexible and at night easy to find which EP, filter you are looking for.

IMG_4401.thumb.jpeg.7458bdb5b8c406d4aa7a9a7830d63a0a.jpeg

This bag also fits it side a hard flight case.

Definitely. As a very keen photographer, who has suffered from owning far too many bags (down to 4 currently), understand that bags are very personal things. At £20, it looked a no-brainer. Incidentally, I'm not personally keen on the ruck sack style, purely down to the access of them, but they certainly work for many. 

1 minute ago, Stardaze said:

Definitely. As a very keen photographer, who has suffered from owning far too many bags (down to 4 currently), understand that bags are very personal things. At £20, it looked a no-brainer. Incidentally, I'm not personally keen on the ruck sack style, purely down to the access of them, but they certainly work for many. 

Can be bought separately from a flight case:

https://www.vanguardworld.co.uk/products/supreme-46d

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update: Retired my GSO 30mm and replaced with a 35mm TMB / Aero ED clone in the 2" case, and added 5mm and 3.2mm BST Starguiders to the 1.25“ case. Just a shame I can't put them in FL order. Plus there's no space for more EPs... Oh no 😱

20210605_153550.thumb.jpg.30e6f29b8da5a89842fcd6820708080e.jpg20210605_153537.thumb.jpg.db6e6d5eb59208c0a763507ac3e4e9d6.jpg

Edited by badhex
  • Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 05/06/2021 at 18:23, badhex said:

A quick update: Retired my GSO 30mm and replaced with a 35mm TMB / Aero ED clone in the 2" case, and added 5mm and 3.2mm BST Starguiders to the 1.25“ case. Just a shame I can't put them in FL order. Plus there's no space for more EPs... Oh no 😱

20210605_153550.thumb.jpg.30e6f29b8da5a89842fcd6820708080e.jpg20210605_153537.thumb.jpg.db6e6d5eb59208c0a763507ac3e4e9d6.jpg

Oh no, thanks to @Louis D I'm now thinking that I could take the BSTs out and keep them in the travel case (for which they were intended), move the 25mm Celestron (which is only in their because I kinda like it as a cheap and cheerful), and buy a short FL Morpheus to fit in the space... 😱🤪

New telescope leads to some eyepiece changes..

This is my first change in a few years...

Delos 8 and 6 come in to play with the docter and VIP barlow on the F4 Newtonian. Zeiss zoom stays with me but will be used exclusively with the 4" refractor so that I don't need to swap eyepieces frequently.

IMG_20210727_133353.thumb.jpg.0445d6794540846d82a85361d8544ba0.jpg

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, John said:

These were mine, 12 years ago ! - doesn't time fly when you are having fun :smiley:

https://stargazerslounge.com/uploads/monthly_10_2009/post-12764-133877402229.jpg

At least the fact you got rid of them, John, means you won’t feel obliged to get the Apollo 11 ££££ eyepiece 😊

Im just hoping they’ve all sold out before I develop that urge 

Edited by JeremyS
  • Haha 1

I've read very positive comments about the 22 Nagler. 🙂

Same about the 21 Ethos..

okay my comment doesn't really help.! 🙄

--- update

More sensible comment. I would use the 13E and see whether the 100 Deg experience is really pleasant before taking a decision.

I never looked through an Ethos, but I did have a 20mm Lunt 100 HDC. Excellent eyepiece, really, but it helped me realise that 100 deg eps are not for me. Other members love them. Life can be difficult with eyepieces...

Edited by Piero
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Piero said:

No rush here, I do really like my APM 20, there’s just a little astigmatism around the final third that could be improved. Just wonder whether losing a little FOV is worth the gain. The 22 is very well revered by many.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stardaze said:

Bought a 13E today myself in my attempt to future proof. Do wonder about a 22 Nagler, seems a sensible option instead of the 21E.

Despite owning a 21E I cannot bring myself to recommend that anyone spends £800+ on an eyepiece in all honesty (I bought mine used for much, much less than that).

Prior to the 21E, I moved from the 22mm Nagler to the 20mm T5 Nagler but, with hindsight, I think the 22mm Type 4 is a more engaging and immersive eyepiece. After the 31mm T5 I think it was my favourite Nagler eyepiece to use.

Congratulations on the 13E. I hope you really enjoy it. The 13mm was my first Ethos and it proved to be a somewhat slippery slope for me - over the past decade I've owned all the Ethos apart from the 10mm :rolleyes2:

@JeremyS: Though the reports on what the 11mm TV Apollo can do are really quite enticing, it's not a focal length that does much for me - I think I've only owned one 11mm over the past 30 years so I think I'm safe from temptation on that one !

Edited by John
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, JeremyS said:

At least the fact you got rid of them, John, means you won’t feel obliged to get the Apollo 11 ££££ eyepiece 😊

Im just hoping they’ve all sold out before I develop that urge 

I thought they already sold out some time ago, at least in the US.  Are they still available elsewhere?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John said:

Despite owning a 21E I cannot bring myself to recommend that anyone spends £800+ on an eyepiece in all honesty (I bought mine used for much, much less than that).

Prior to the 21E, I moved from the 22mm Nagler to the 20mm T5 Nagler but, with hindsight, I think the 22mm Type 4 is a more engaging and immersive eyepiece. After the 31mm T5 I think it was my favourite Nagler eyepiece to use.

Congratulations on the 13E. I hope you really enjoy it. The 13mm was my first Ethos and it proved to be a somewhat slippery slope for me - over the past decade I've owned all the Ethos apart from the 10mm :rolleyes2:

@JeremyS: Though the reports on what the 11mm TV Apollo can do are really quite enticing, it's not a focal length that does much for me - I think I've only owned one 11mm over the past 30 years so I think I'm safe from temptation on that one !

I now have the 10E and 13E to see which I prefer. Whether they’re too close together remains to be proven. See if the perfect 2mm exit pupil is all that. Having mocked up some of my favourite targets in SkySafari the 10 will be a touch tight I feel for some targets and so I’m not sure how it will go but excited nevertheless. Got a good secondhand deal on the 13E so it’s money invested as they hold their value. The 21E is a step too far for my pocket I think and they rarely turn up secondhand. Really pleased with my new little bag of glass that I have been putting together and looking forward to the season ahead.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Piero said:

--- update

More sensible comment. I would use the 13E and see whether the 100 Deg experience is really pleasant before taking a decision.

I never looked through an Ethos, but I did have a 20mm Lunt 100 HDC. Excellent eyepiece, really, but it helped me realise that 100 deg eps are not for me. Other members love them. Life can be difficult with eyepieces...

I’m a 100 deg convert definitely. The 13E is replacing the APM (Lunt) 13 😀

• Like 1