Narrowband

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

5 hours ago, JeremyS said:

The only only significant step forward was the Vixen HRs

Have you tried the Docter 12.5mm UWA Jeremy? While not a significant step forward compared to a range of top eyepieces its uniqueness brings it forward IMHO.

Its unique in the sense that its contrast equals or beats the Ethos/Nikon HW, is sharper than the Delos class and has low scatter in a similar league to Vixen HRs, not quite but close. It also has an 84 deg AFOV that seems larger than it is IMHO. Eyeplacement is the one area where it gets beat by a bit but to me its a small price to pay.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

The 7mm Nagler was one of my favourites, although my prefered version was the 7mm smoothy.  I made all my observations of Mars in 2003 using my FS128 and a 7mm Nagler, so I have fond memories of it. ☺

My first Naglers were the 7mm and 4.8mm "smoothsides". Very sharp eyepieces :smiley:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jetstream said:

Have you tried the Docter 12.5mm UWA Jeremy? While not a significant step forward compared to a range of top eyepieces its uniqueness brings it forward IMHO.

Its unique in the sense that its contrast equals or beats the Ethos/Nikon HW, is sharper than the Delos class and has low scatter in a similar league to Vixen HRs, not quite but close. It also has an 84 deg AFOV that seems larger than it is IMHO. Eyeplacement is the one area where it gets beat by a bit but to me its a small price to pay.

No, not got my hands on one, Gerry. When I started to think about one, they promptly stopped making them. This is unusual as normally when I finally get around to buying new Astro kit, it’s promptly passed over by a newer and superior product 😊. Exception is Tak, of course!

Another consideration is that I usually find the biggest gains with eyepieces at the extremes of the range: high power planetary (and I still the Pentax XP3.8 was a winner and I am an idiot for moving it on) and low power wide field. I should also confess I’m no means an expert visual observer as I mainly do CCD.

But I’d love to try a Doctor 👍🏻

• Like 3

16 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Yes, there’s a lot of pleasure to be had in trying and testing. So many eyepieces are of such good quality, I find I’m now looking for an eyepiece nirvana which probably doesn’t exist - or I’ve achieved already 😊

The biggest relegation for me was many years ago when I started collecting Pentax XL eyepieces. They are still superb. The only only significant step forward was the Vixen HRs, which meant I had to get the set (with some egging on from @mikeDnight🤣). 
On and then there’s the 2-inch slippery slope......

That eyepiece spot is just so itchy.... 🤣

So are you going to get any TOE eyepieces, I'm sure @John will convince you, view is a little smoother..

26 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

So are you going to get any TOE eyepieces, I'm sure @John will convince you, view is a little smoother..

No plans. I’m sure they are excellent, but hard to imagine they are better than the Vixen HRs. Mind you, the TOE 4 is tempting as Vixen don’t cover that FL

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Another consideration is that I usually find the biggest gains with eyepieces at the extremes of the range: high power planetary (and I still the Pentax XP3.8 was a winner and I am an idiot for moving it on).

It might be an idea Jeremy, if before you next decide to do something dumb, you give me a call first. That way you can be certain you don't really need your precious eyepieces and that they'ed be much better off in my possession. It's what friends are for! ☺

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

No plans. I’m sure they are excellent, but hard to imagine they are better than the Vixen HRs. Mind you, the TOE 4 is tempting as Vixen don’t cover that FL

I have the 4 mm TOE for that reason. And while we are on subject what about a 2" BBHS mirror diagonal, now back in stock. 😀

• Like 2

A few changes since my cases were last posted, but mostly the same.  The Orthoscopics  box will not change anymore.  The bino pairs will only change if I can double up the 7mm and 16mm Naglers, and very possibly with a second Morpheus 9mm.  The last box has a change periodically, most notably with the addition of the 30mm Pentax, a definite keeper, but all the others are favourites, so not likely to go anywhere.IMG_2012.thumb.JPG.9696afc9a4713d52207184c8d2eac8c6.JPG

IMG_2009.JPG

IMG_2015.JPG

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Deadlake said:

I have the 4 mm TOE for that reason. And while we are on subject what about a 2" BBHS mirror diagonal, now back in stock. 😀

I have the BBHS mirror diagonal. I was agonising whether to try the BBHS prism, but the comments on here have convinced me otherwise 😊👍🏻

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JeremyS said:

I have the BBHS mirror diagonal. I was agonising whether to try the BBHS prism, but the comments on here have convinced me otherwise 😊👍🏻

I have a Baader BBHS prism diagonal and a BBHS mirror diagonal on order. If you had the prism diagonal you could tell me if it was going to be worth the wait? 😀 

I thought the view was if you have a scope which is F7 and up, the prism is the better option. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

I have a Baader BBHS prism diagonal and a BBHS mirror diagonal on order. If you had the prism diagonal you could tell me if it was going to be worth the wait? 😀 

I thought the view was if you have a scope which is F7 and up, the prism is the better option. 

I just loved the idea of a high quality prism. I never feel I could get anything more from a diagonal if I’m honest. 

Just now, Dantooine said:

I just loved the idea of a high quality prism. I never feel I could get anything more from a diagonal if I’m honest. 

The advantage for me is for scopes faster than F6, no shift with a mirror diagonal.

• Like 1

This is the start of my modest collection. Housing the Telrad and my modified liveCam up to now. I'm not putting the 'stock' EP's that came with the scope, rather waiting for when I replace them with the BST SkyGuiders, the first two of which should arrive next week. 

IMG_0780.jpeg

Edited by NorfolkGazer
Photo not displaying
  • Like 6

On 13/06/2019 at 18:27, Astro-Geek said:

My eyepiece case earlier in this thread has now been modified to the mark two version, (though in truth it's probably my mark 99 of cases !).

It was the one with the wooden platform in a Peli case, with 1.25 inch and 2 inch holes to take standard eyepieces standing up, and give maximum flexibility without needing to re-cut foam.

It worked well for me for some time, but my only reservation was that "suitcase" style cases are tipped up vertical when carried, which complicated the way that smaller eyepieces were stored in it.   If I could find a case that was stored and carried in an upright position then my simple "egg box" holding method would be fine for any size eyepiece with just gravity holding them safely in place.  (I only move my eyepiece collection around my home, so I don't need a fully lined foam case to withstand rougher handling by third parties.)

I've searched around for many years now for a flight case with a suitable aspect ratio (shallow, wide and long) with a top handle.  They all seem to be "suitcase" style though. There are some cantilever style, but still nothing suitable presented itself.

The quest, mostly via Amazon and Ebay is tricky, (especially the latter) because of the widely scattered sections that flight cases appear in, (musical instruments, disco gear, photo etc..)  My standing search suddenly turned up trumps though, with a used flight case with drawers.  It was actually advertised as a cosmetics and make up case for beauticians !  It turned out to be extremely well made, (sturdier than most budget new flight cases) and even had telescopic ball bearing drawer runners etc..

This has proved to be ideal, taking my "holy" wooden eyepiece tray in the top compartment and most of my other bits and pieces in the two drawers.  There was no need to fit dividers in the drawers, since they are never tipped up either.  It was sufficient to just line them with 4mm neoprene mat (yoga mat !), to prevent them from rolling around.

When fully loaded, it's fairly heavy so rather than trust the central handle on top when carrying any distance or down stairs etc., I fitted a couple of heavy duty strap d rings to each end (with bolts), and can carry it safely with a heavy duty carabiner style shoulder strap.

closed.jpg

top section.jpg

top drawer.jpg

bottom drawer.jpg

strap rings.jpg

Hi where did you get that case from please one of those would reduce my 3 down to one thank you. 

11 hours ago, NorfolkGazer said:

This is the start of my modest collection. Housing the Telrad and my modified liveCam up to now. I'm not putting the 'stock' EP's that came with the scope, rather waiting for when I replace them with the BST SkyGuiders, the first two of which should arrive next week. 

IMG_0780.jpeg

You will soon fill it up I’m sure. 

• Like 1

On 23/02/2021 at 04:00, NorfolkGazer said:

IMG_0780.jpeg

My Telrad got kicked out of my A-team case years ago in favor of more Pentax XWs.  I just put the pick-n-pluck foam blocks I'd saved back in.  They stay in place due to friction.

My Telrads now live in a cardboard box wrapped in closed cell foam padding.  They're surprisingly rugged.

• Like 1

I thought it would be fun to find all the iterations of my eyepiece case on this thread. The first version for my first telescope, a SkyWatcher 130M on EQ2. There was even room for a red light torch in those days.
613BC24D-6AA6-426D-9B90-D179BEB35B2B.jpeg.c2a9bdcd70e05a70431ae202aa839962.jpeg

The arrival of a 10” dob led to the first major rework and a couple of 100 degree eyepieces. There was still room for the Telrad though. 
B537563E-245B-47A0-AF36-3015FB0D1BDF.jpeg.4ecf3cf7ba21062bffca19bf7202c4b9.jpeg

Things really took off after that. It became a world of widefields and orthos. A decidedly fuller case now!

4F0A0C32-936C-4ED1-86FB-340499D4ED18.jpeg.fa565372cca3c209d4377e54e6fdc840.jpeg

Finally my most recent rework. I don’t think there’ll be anymore major reworks but never say never! 
AA020749-7994-47AF-88E3-DA65D3A6B208.thumb.jpeg.19fc72e37c28883cc992133366cb9121.jpeg

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

I thought it would be fun to find all the iterations of my eyepiece case on this thread. The first version for my first telescope, a SkyWatcher 130M on EQ2. There was even room for a red light torch in those days.
613BC24D-6AA6-426D-9B90-D179BEB35B2B.jpeg.c2a9bdcd70e05a70431ae202aa839962.jpeg

The arrival of a 10” dob led to the first major rework and a couple of 100 degree eyepieces. There was still room for the Telrad though. 
B537563E-245B-47A0-AF36-3015FB0D1BDF.jpeg.4ecf3cf7ba21062bffca19bf7202c4b9.jpeg

Things really took off after that. It became a world of widefields and orthos. A decidedly fuller case now!

4F0A0C32-936C-4ED1-86FB-340499D4ED18.jpeg.fa565372cca3c209d4377e54e6fdc840.jpeg

Finally my most recent rework. I don’t think there’ll be anymore major reworks but never say never! 
AA020749-7994-47AF-88E3-DA65D3A6B208.thumb.jpeg.19fc72e37c28883cc992133366cb9121.jpeg

Nice idea 😀

Here are my early ones from the late 1980's: .956 inch fitting and all fitted into an old cigar box !;

https://stargazerslounge.com/uploads/monthly_05_2010/post-12764-13387745157.jpg

And then where I was 11 years ago: quite a step forward:

https://stargazerslounge.com/uploads/monthly_01_2010/post-12764-133877420425.jpeg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I took delivery of two more cases today, one very small which will house a small “lightweight” set of Plossls and Orthos... will sort that out later in the week and post a photo.

The big case I already have, now holds the set of Pentax XWs (30, 20, 14, 10, 7, 5 and 3.5) and a few other selected 1.25” eyepieces... Delos 14, Panoptic 24 and 15, ES 4.7 82, Baader Morpheus 17.5, Genuine Ortho 12.5, Classic Ortho 6, Hyperion 2.25x Barlow, ES Focal Extender 2” 2x and 1.25” 2x, plus a couple of filters.

Newly added today, is a medium size case, which holds just the “dob” set... Ethos (21, 13, 8, 6 and 3.7) and Paracorr II.

Seems the plan to have one set, has turned into three sets, but at least they are now better organised 🤣

87CDB332-27D2-49A1-A8F9-3316DF58503F.jpeg

9E987C8D-561E-4EF3-A2A3-07696F1129C6.jpeg

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 11

10 hours ago, HollyHound said:

I took delivery of two more cases today, one very small which will house a small “lightweight” set of Plossls and Orthos... will sort that out later in the week and post a photo.

The big case I already have, now holds the set of Pentax XWs (30, 20, 14, 10, 7, 5 and 3.5) and a few other selected 1.25” eyepieces... Delos 14, Panoptic 24 and 15, ES 4.7 82, Baader Morpheus 17.5, Genuine Ortho 12.5, Classic Ortho 6, Hyperion 2.25x Barlow, ES Focal Extender 2” 2x and 1.25” 2x, plus a couple of filters.

Newly added today, is a medium size case, which holds just the “dob” set... Ethos (21, 13, 8, 6 and 3.7) and Paracorr II.

Seems the plan to have one set, has turned into three sets, but at least they are now better organised 🤣

Perfection! Which case did you buy? I'll out grow my case when I buy my next EP, something else on the list.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Stardaze said:

Perfection! Which case did you buy? I'll out grow my case when I buy my next EP, something else on the list.

The large case I already had is a GeoOptik, but they’re less easy to get hold off now.

So I ordered one of these from Amazon... very similar (in fact almost identical)... 

Max MAX430S.079 Waterproof Photography Hard Plastic Flight Case, Tool Box, Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00A9ULZFK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_9WMKJH8KPS0D4Q733FKM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Seems quite tough and should work well.

I’m happy to have all the eyepieces and Paracorr for a session with the dob in one case now 👍

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, HollyHound said:

What a fantastic looking collection of EP,S!

• Thanks 1

Its many years since I posted my eyepiece case. I recently bought a Nagler 3-6mm zoom so I thought the photo should be updated.

From top left - 24mm ES68, 6mm Ethos, 17mm Celestron Ultima DUO, 20mm Myriad 100 degree

Middle far left -9mm Fujiyama Ortho, 10mm Baader Ortho, 6mm Baader Ortho. Middle far right - collection of filters UHC, O-III and H.Beta all marked for easy finding and access

Bottom left - Nagler 3-6mm zoom, 10mm Celestron Ultima DUO, 9mm Myriad 100 degree and 13mm Ethos.

Eyepiece collection.jpg

• Like 9