Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

Yes dont worry Nick I wont be getting one anytime soon :D:). Among it being impracticle, my motherboard on my laptop has decided to melt :mad:

Just checking mate. I see G&B addiction setting in and it can make you delirious if not properly controlled ;):o

Dam computers get on my ***'s. There is always something going wrong with mine. I don't think updates help anything more often than not they make matters worse.

nothing modest there mate, a fine set of quality oculars.

Thanks Shane, need to add a couple more to the collection including the 24mm Panoptic and also something around 9mm focal length

Two more nice collections, the nagler zoom definitely intruiges me!

Its an excellent eyepiece and it is the most used in my collection.

Its great for planetary and lunar use and perfect for splitting difficult multiple stars.

Might be a bit to potent for your set up Adam. You have the 8" 1200mm don't you ?

Yeah it will be a bit potent. I would not use it in any scope with a focal length longer than a metre. My scope at 500mm it gives a perfect 67x - 167x magnification which is pretty much the limitations of the scope. The exit pupil at 3mm is a little on the small size at 0.3mm though.

The 13mm Nagler T6 is a stunner, its my globular cluster and planetary nebula hunter. With an exit pupil of 2mm its perfect for keeping a good contrast between the subject and background and a nice magnification of 40x.

The 36mm Baader Hyperion is not used that much other than as a super finder (14x) for my scope. Its performance is a little mixed. on axis it is pretty sharp but it has a pronounced field curvature which decimates the edge of the field. I suspect it has been optimised for use in reflectors not refractors.

Ultimately I shall replace it with a Panoptic (or if funds allow a Nagler) in the region of 30-35mm focal range.

Edited by MjrTom

Thanks Shane, need to add a couple more to the collection including the 24mm Panoptic and also something around 9mm focal length

Yeah it will be a bit potent. I would not use it in any scope with a focal length longer than a metre. My scope at 500mm it gives a perfect 67x - 167x magnification which is pretty much the limitations of the scope. The exit pupil at 3mm is a little on the small size at 0.3mm though.

the 24mm Panoptic is a superb eyepiece and will work well with your scope.

seriously, the 6-3mm Nagler works well with my 1600mm focal length 6" newt. splitting the double double at 450-500x is like a bus lane!

the 24mm Panoptic is a superb eyepiece and will work well with your scope.

seriously, the 6-3mm Nagler works well with my 1600mm focal length 6" newt. splitting the double double at 450-500x is like a bus lane!

Thanks for the info, the 24mm Panoptic will definitely be the next on the list.

Eagerly waiting for one to turn up secondhand on SGL but I wont hold my breath ;)

Nice to know that the 3-6mm is useful on such a long focal length scope. My next scope (when I have the space for it in the house) will be a large dob/Newtonian around 10 inches @ f/4

The Skywatcher Quattro OTA's look very tempting.

This thread inspired me to rush out and buy an EP case - I got tired of rootling around in an overcrowded shoebox every time I went out.

Before and after pics attached...

I think I was a bit optimistic about the size of EP case I need - I figure I will need to fit a 30mm Aero and two more TS Planetaries in there... :-( Perhaps I will replace the TS ones with Baader orthos as they take up less space!

post-20027-133877623559_thumb.jpg

post-20027-133877623567_thumb.jpg

Thought i'd add mine as well. I have a terrible temptation upon me at the minute to buy a Nagler 13mm type 6. It would replace the 13 and 17mm Hyperion's.

post-24496-133877624107_thumb.jpg

Edited by Damo636

Not alarmed Spaceboy, well not really. I loaned the 7mm to a mate about a month ago. I think he might have gotten a little too attached to it though! The Hyperions are excellent in the RS. At f10 its pretty slow so i get nice pinpoint stars right to the edge of the fov.

Edited by Damo636

Damo636, that's a nice set of hyperions. My 17mm doubles as a 13mm half the time. In the long term I will get an 82 deg EP at one of those focal lengths. Or even the TMB 16mm 100 degree EP... :-)

How would you rate the 24mm Hyperion Damo? I have been looking at a few wide field ep's in the lower power range. As much as i would love a nice 82 degree like a Nagler i'm afraid my budget wouldn't stretch that far :hello2:

The Hyperion's although good budget ep's don't seem to have any consistency to them across the range. The 31mm Baader I have is superb in my reflectors F/4.7 & F/5 but has less than desirable effects on the outer 85% FOV in my refrator F/8.3 ???? Damo finds the shorter FL Hyperion's excellent in his F/10 refractor ??? And Paul found similar with his depending on EP FL and scope FL ??? Just goes to show how important it is to try before we buy. It's a shame there isn't a dealer with the full range of EP's through all the brands making them available for hire. A deposit big enough to encourage safe handling and a hire rate high enough that people don't become attached. I guess we would need perfect skies every night for that one to work though :hello2:

Edited by spaceboy

The Hyperion's although good budget ep's don't seem to have any consistency to them across the range. The 31mm Baader I have is superb in my reflectors F/4.7 & F/5 but has less than desirable effects on the outer 85% FOV in my refrator F/8.3 ???? :D

Its funny that you should say this, my Baader Hyperion 36mm Aspheric is the same. I get awful field curvature in the last 15% of the field when used on my 80mm f/6.25 refractor but performs a lot better in the Liverpool astronomy societies 16 inch Meade Lightbridge Dob.

I suspect they must have configured it for the typical characteristics found in reflectors not refractors which tend to have a flatter field (I assume). :hello2:

Sorry guys I didn't mean to be so dismissive :D. I just consider anything under £100 as budget or bargain which ever way you want to look at it :) I wouldn't consider my Nags as much more than a mid range offering. Ethos, ES and Pentax are the bank busters and pinnacle in eye piece choices :hello2:.

Edited by spaceboy

here my new case (old one broke the other day). went with the larger rugged case from maplins and im very happy with it at least the bottom wont fall out of this one

have sold a couple of my naglers recently to fund imaging equipment hence why it looks a little bare

post-24512-133877624291_thumb.jpg