Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

Leegsi

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

The 22mm T4 Nagler is a really lovely eyepiece. I swapped mine for a T5 20mm but I should have kept the 22 T4 I think :rolleyes2:

• Like 1

In the case and outside of the case. May 12 2017. EP list on the bottom as from left to right:

28mm ES 68, 18mm APM, 12.5mm Baader Morpheus, 9mm Baader Morpheus, 5mm Olivon 70 degree, (currently for sale), 2x GSO barlow screwed to 35mm Ext tube, (for slightly less mag).

Cheers!

Ep's May 13 2017 in case.JPG

EP's outside May 12 2017.JPG

Edited by TheLookingGlass
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, Piero said:

very nice Paul! :) 

Thanks Piero - it's taken me about a year, but finally took the plunge!

38 minutes ago, John said:

The 22mm T4 Nagler is a really lovely eyepiece. I swapped mine for a T5 20mm but I should have kept the 22 T4 I think :rolleyes2:

Thanks John - hopefully now I can get the benefit from it.  About a quarter of the field was smeared and I didn't have the guts to try to deal with it myself.  Originally I thought it was condensation inside but thankfully Simon at TWC confirmed that the eyepiece hadn't been taken apart and that in fact the problem was on the outside of the lens.  The perils of buying used (I hasten to add it wasn't from someone on this forum, and I don't believe there was any malice involved).

5 hours ago, FenlandPaul said:

Hooray! Finally able to reply to this topic with something more than my (excellent value but mediocre performance) Revelation kit.  Just picked up my used 22mm Nagler from the Widescreen Centre, after they kindly sorted out a serious smear on the eye lens. I'd been saving a space for it in my new case, and here they are as a family for the first time:

IMG_0374.thumb.JPG.19791a204f425ab2731c0d56687ea04b.JPG

Nice, Paul. I have a matching eyepatch ... ??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheLookingGlass said:

In the case and outside of the case. May 12 2017. EP list on the bottom as from left to right:

28mm ES 68, 18mm APM, 12.5mm Baader Morpheus, 9mm Baader Morpheus, 5mm Olivon 70 degree, (currently for sale), 2x GSO barlow screwed to 35mm Ext tube, (for slightly less mag).

Cheers!

Ep's May 13 2017 in case.JPG

EP's outside May 12 2017.JPG

Neat set and set neatly.

4 hours ago, rockystar said:

@TheLookingGlass very nice - have you got 2" adapters on all your 1.25 EPs?

Yes sir, I sure do! 

I find it just makes things easier when I have 2 " filters, and I do have the 2" 28mm, so I just keep everything all in 2 inch mode.

Cheers!

Edited by TheLookingGlass
  • Like 1

I'm the same all mine are used in 2 inch mode can't be hassled with the adapter.

• Like 1

My latest iteration.  cannot use the 20mm and 11mm pairs as they will now be wrapped until my anniversary at the end of the month.  just enough space for a pair of 8mm and a 9mm Delite.  no money though now until crimbo unless I sell something I want to keep!

20170517_202947-1.thumb.jpg.95ed77346e33a28e7dcff027df509ee6.jpg

• Like 14

very nice EP case Shane. It is a bit crowded, but you know why that is, you have 2 of a lot of them :-0

• Like 1

I don't have any of the green and black fellas. I have BST'S and Meade 4000 plossls with a couple of other ones thrown in. BST zoom and couple of Barlows. 

20170517_214016.jpg

20170517_214059.jpg

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I don't have any of the green and black fellas.

Right now I only have two including a powermate. If the Lunt solar wedge had a "shorter nose", I would probably sell the PM too.

• Like 1

My current eyepiece case has become rather crowded, the other day I came across a potential replacement case which I thought looked slightly larger so bought some new foam for it, now I have the opportunity to lay out my eyepiece collection in a more organised manner, just thought I'd run this past my fellow eyepiece case owners for a bit of advice.

The new case came with a foam flap in the lid which I thought I might be able to use for observing notes, instruction manuals, maybe a few tools.  I'll probably need to cut the foam to fit my A4 documents or small books.

new%20eyepiece%20case%20-%202_zpsjaqdy7s

new%20eyepiece%20case%20-%201_zpsak3liek

I can't decide whether I should put some bits that I wouldn't use at most observing sessions such as the extension tube in a different case (maybe the old case with new foam), or try to squeeze it all into one case.  I would likely place the dew controller vertical which would save some space, maybe the smaller black cable could go next to it.  The foam isn't pluck or cubed, I'll be cutting out the shapes all the way through as there is a separate 20mm layer of foam underneath this one.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Moonshane said:

My latest iteration.  cannot use the 20mm and 11mm pairs as they will now be wrapped until my anniversary at the end of the month.  just enough space for a pair of 8mm and a 9mm Delite.  no money though now until crimbo unless I sell something I want to keep!

20170517_202947-1.thumb.jpg.95ed77346e33a28e7dcff027df509ee6.jpg

That is a fine looking case, Shane :grin:  

I suspect that you didn't manage to buy all of those Plossls as pairs from the same batch so would be interested to know whether or not you have noticed any material difference between those that are true pairs and those that you picked-up individually?

Perhaps a subject for a review thread?

• Like 1

Good point buddy. My 25mm were both new from one source. Of the others all are the same style (I.e. pairs have the same nose inset) other than the 32mm which do not.  not used any other than the 25/15s yet though.

Will do a review when I have done maybe later on in the summer :0)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Good point buddy. My 25mm were both new from one source. Of the others all are the same style (I.e. pairs have the same nose inset) other than the 32mm which do not.  not used any other than the 25/15s yet though.

Will do a review when I have done maybe later on in the summer :0)

That would be great, Shane. It might debunk another Astro-myth or confirm common belief that it's much best to have matched pairs.

• Like 1

I don't have a special made holder so I bought a small hardcase galvanized and I keep all my EPs' in their original boxes with end caps and that stays inside protected at all times .

48 minutes ago, DRT said:

That would be great, Shane. It might debunk another Astro-myth or confirm common belief that it's much best to have matched pairs.

Seems like the need for 'matched' pairs is pretty much bunkum

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/258992-matched-ep-pairs-for-optimal-image-merge/

Among others. I'll report through a new thread in due course

8 hours ago, DRT said:

10 hours ago, jonathan said:

My current eyepiece case has become rather crowded, the other day I came across a potential replacement case which I thought looked slightly larger so bought some new foam for it, now I have the opportunity to lay out my eyepiece collection in a more organised manner, just thought I'd run this past my fellow eyepiece case owners for a bit of advice.

The new case came with a foam flap in the lid which I thought I might be able to use for observing notes, instruction manuals, maybe a few tools.  I'll probably need to cut the foam to fit my A4 documents or small books.

new%20eyepiece%20case%20-%202_zpsjaqdy7s

new%20eyepiece%20case%20-%201_zpsak3liek

I can't decide whether I should put some bits that I wouldn't use at most observing sessions such as the extension tube in a different case (maybe the old case with new foam), or try to squeeze it all into one case.  I would likely place the dew controller vertical which would save some space, maybe the smaller black cable could go next to it.  The foam isn't pluck or cubed, I'll be cutting out the shapes all the way through as there is a separate 20mm layer of foam underneath this one.

Was that a case you had lying around or did you buy it? It looks rather good and I like the space for books/documents idea. 

8 hours ago, DRT said:

I just wish I had matched eyes! :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, surfindogg said:

I just wish I had matched eyes! :icon_biggrin:

in all seriousness I think that's actually one of the reasons it doesn't matter as much as people seem to make out :happy7:

• Like 2