Narrowband

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

10 minutes ago, Alan White said:

If I had cut it, well it would be ragged and have blood stains on it somewhere.

Me too, I'm useless at such things, probably spent more on damn foam than eyepieces just trying to get it right. But seeing your Baader case has given me an idea, aren't Morpheus and Hyperions a similar size to LVW's? and it just so happens I have eight of them. I feel a FLO moment coming on!

edit. Bingo, FLO had 2 left in stock, now only 1.

Edited by Franklin
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Franklin said:

334263C0-B500-4A1F-9C3B-EA1755C39384.jpeg

Nice collection, but your HR3.4 looks lonely and out of place, I could give him a good home😁.

I confess I don’t use it much, should do more. Perhaps now it has a nice home I will. I’ve had some of the shorter ones, but they give too small an exit pupil for my eyes so I don’t get the benefit from them. I cover those focal lengths with the Nag zoom, even though it’s not quite as sharp.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stu said:

but they give too small an exit pupil for my eyes so I don’t get the benefit from them. I cover those focal lengths with the Nag zoom, even though it’s not quite as sharp.

Yes, the shorter HR's do give extremely sharp and high definition views of floaters!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is anyone using a soft case?  My trofast drawer from IKEA is reaching its limit (and it's a drawer) and I'd like something I can get my eyepieces and sketching stuff in and a soft case like the oklop bag looks ideal.

8 hours ago, Franklin said:

Yes, the shorter HR's do give extremely sharp and high definition views of floaters!

Yet they are a work of art internally, showing there's been an awful lot of careful thought gone into, not just the optics, but also the engineering. And they add value to your eyepiece collection, much in the same way that returnable glass bottles add value to your house if you throw them into your garden. The HR's are great for observing double stars, though a tracking mount would be required, especially with the 1.6mm and if you're adventurous, or crazy enough, to try and use a barlow. Imagine trying to make one of these even with the engineering skill. 

download.png.4d4d856274890f1f7ad3bc8ccbaf902a.png

And I've Got The Set! :biggrin::icon_cyclops_ani::happy7:

2022-07-2919_22_45.thumb.jpg.b10baff31ce7de8d5064971c1c30593f.jpg2022-07-2919_22_03.thumb.jpg.721b64dbeca5235c01aff96237a1fc29.jpg

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

44 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

Is anyone using a soft case?  My trofast drawer from IKEA is reaching its limit (and it's a drawer) and I'd like something I can get my eyepieces and sketching stuff in and a soft case like the oklop bag looks ideal.

FLO offer an Astro essentials soft case, but while at Kettering last Saturday for the Practical Astronomy Show, I noticed that WideScreen had a nice WideSky soft case. I've attached a poorly aimed pic, but i think it will give an idea of its size and style. It looked good, made of what appeared to be durable waterproof blue nylon, cost less than £50, but had pre cut holes. I like to cut my own holes! Well worth the money in my view.

IMG_20230311_093839.thumb.jpg.fe7387ebf834da33c2a50e18d4acb2ac.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Yet they are a work of art internally, showing there's been an awful lot of careful thought go me into, not just the optics, but also the engineering

That is amazing to see, all those little angled areas in the internals, to eliminate stray light I presume. All I know is that they work, whether in a short fl scope for high power or in a regular fl scope for silly high power, not tried barlowing them, no need. I have the 1.6, 2.0 and 2.4mm and I can see a difference between the 2.4HR and the 2.5SLV, as good as the SLV is. Bit on the fence regards the 3.4HR as they're not cheap and I already have a 3.5SSW and 3.5LVW. Still, if one popped up at a fair price I'd probably get it, just for the collection.

• Like 3

On 10/03/2023 at 21:55, Stu said:

Damn it! Someone actually read what I wrote! 🤣

This is an old case which fortunately had decent foam in it, so I’ve used it for my small 1.25” eyepieces; Orthos plus nag zooms and binoviewing pairs, oh and the Zeiss Abbé Barlow too.

334263C0-B500-4A1F-9C3B-EA1755C39384.jpeg

Love it Stu...:Envy:

• 1 month later...
On 14/03/2023 at 09:28, mikeDnight said:

2022-07-2919_22_45.thumb.jpg.b10baff31ce7de8d5064971c1c30593f.jpg

I haven't caught up with this thread for a while, there does seem to be some unwritten rules for a satisfying eyepiece case, and this one is I think a perfect example of what I aspire to...

1. Eyepieces of the same make and type kept together (this example has only one but more than one type is ok).

2. Put in order of focal length.

3. All in the same orientation.

4. Focal length label facing upwards.

5. Foam tailored exactly to each eyepiece.

6. Foam must be pristine, it cannot be reworked from a previous configuration.

6. Everything must be as symmetrical as possible.

7. No gaps.

8. No non-eyepiece items.

9. Practicality is important but lets face it the most important thing is looking good!

😀

My cases fall short by quite a way unfortunately, these days I decide what I need for a session and pack it bespoke each time, so it always looks a jumble and the items never align with the foam cut outs any more!

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Paz said:

I haven't caught up with this thread for a while, there does seem to be some unwritten rules for a satisfying eyepiece case, and this one is I think a perfect example of what I aspire to...

1. Eyepieces of the same make and type kept together (this example has only one but more than one type is ok).

2. Put in order of focal length.

3. All in the same orientation.

4. Focal length label facing upwards.

5. Foam tailored exactly to each eyepiece.

6. Foam must be pristine, it cannot be reworked from a previous configuration.

6. Everything must be as symmetrical as possible.

7. No gaps.

8. No non-eyepiece items.

9. Practicality is important but lets face it the most important thing is looking good!

😀

My cases fall short by quite a way unfortunately, these days I decide what I need for a session and pack it bespoke each time, so it always looks a jumble and the items never align with the foam cut outs any more!

Out of a total of 9 points, my case scores a 2. Now that we have a the PECS (Paz Eyepiece Case Scale) we can look forward to impartial eyepiece case ratings and step change in quality of cases seen online!

• Haha 7

8 hours ago, Paz said:

I decide what I need for a session and pack it bespoke each time

Same here, cases are for storage, it's usually one in the scope and another two in my pockets. If I take the whole case out I end up wasting time playing around swapping eyepieces.

• Like 2

Here are my 3 cases (well there is also a case of Delos eps, but those are going on sale at some point this year time permitting).

The set for Nunki:

IMG_20220926_142138_resize_73.jpg.5ff9b937092c65e9bae0d41519c386e1.jpg

The set for Phoenix, Tak (DSO mainly) and TV-60 (24 Pan, N13T6, N9T6, N7T6 and Baader Q Barlow):

IMG_20230502_190125.thumb.jpg.ddc91850b52ae5c0697c4b5cf5755fb0.jpg

The set for the Tak (DSO and high power - 30mm apm uff, Zeiss zoom and Baader VIP barlow):

IMG_20230502_190207.thumb.jpg.adadf62403cc680abe49e99fe52b7dbd.jpg

Edited by Piero
  • Like 4

Just a Aluminum case from the hardware store but it suits its purpose and holds everything I have at the moment.  Baader Zoom and Barlow and Orion Illuminated Centering eyepiece, and my 40mm wide field Plossl are my most used. 

IMG_1304.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Near 15 years to get to this point!. Super happy mind. Not shown but also have a Meade 5000 SWA 40mm in box…. It’s a beast!

IMG_3861.jpeg

Edited by Rob
Add
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Rob said:

Near 15 years to get to this point!. Super happy mind. Not shown but also have a Meade 5000 SWA 40mm in box…. It’s a beast!

IMG_3861.jpeg

Very nice Rob

I very much take an 'everything I could need in the one box' approach to this, so here's my accessories case. I used shadow foam cut into a cheap case from amazon, then got  a sticker from etsy to give it some sauce. The cosy arrangement also has the benefit of reducing the urge to browse for any additions! 

PXL_20230709_191151222.jpg

PXL_20230709_191218040.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 months later...