SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

22 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

I need to modify the foam (I seem to have accidentally bought a second hand 18mm BST :evil4:, and it needs a new hole making ... ) but once that's done I'll try to remember to take a pic . As the BSTs are stored standing, it won't look enormously exciting ... just some black dust caps 🙂 

Heather

Cool, how do you tell them apart though?

21 minutes ago, John said:

These are pluck foam inners in Maplin and Jessops cases. Rather than removing the foam chunks, I break the cubes in the shape of the eyepiece then push the block down with the eyepiece being held in place by the case lid foam spikes. After a little time neat depressions form into which the eyepieces fit nicely. If I change my eyepieces (which I used to do often :rolleyes2:) the foam blocks can be pulled gently back up and a new depression formed for the new eyepiece. These cases and the foam inners have lasted for years this way. Rather worried that I have a small space in the 1.25 inch case that needs filling :evil:

epscase01Jan21.JPG.c3f38218da8112fc2c6978b6cfc728df.JPG

epscase02Jan21.JPG.575969d455cd0a4dce0387912bed628f.JPG

Awesome set!

Clever idea to just compress the cubes too.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, John said:

Rather than removing the foam chunks, I break the cubes in the shape of the eyepiece then push the block down with the eyepiece being held in place by the case lid foam spikes

I do the same - I think maybe on your advice from some years ago John! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tiny Clanger said:

By position 🙂 Each has its allotted hole in the array .

In addition to position in the case, I put a small piece of masking tape on the side of some EPs.  Works well as a tactile guide in the dark since they're the same outward physical design.  I've also considered a dot of silicone caulk or similar, but the tape has worked well so far.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jjohnson3803 said:

In addition to position in the case, I put a small piece of masking tape on the side of some EPs.  Works well as a tactile guide in the dark since they're the same outward physical design.  I've also considered a dot of silicone caulk or similar, but the tape has worked well so far.

Interesting, I've considered something similar, and have some glow in the dark tape I could use which would be very effective I think, but have never needed it yet. Keep the EP  count to 9 (or fewer) and it's not hard to locate the right one in a 3x3 array ...

The glow in the dark tape is very useful on the outside of the black case though, a small piece on the lid near the catches makes sure I don't have the thing upside down !

• Like 1

On 05/05/2021 at 17:54, John said:

These are pluck foam inners in Maplin and Jessops cases. Rather than removing the foam chunks, I break the cubes in the shape of the eyepiece then push the block down with the eyepiece being held in place by the case lid foam spikes. After a little time neat depressions form into which the eyepieces fit nicely. If I change my eyepieces (which I used to do often :rolleyes2:) the foam blocks can be pulled gently back up and a new depression formed for the new eyepiece. These cases and the foam inners have lasted for years this way. Rather worried that I have a small space in the 1.25 inch case that needs filling :evil:

epscase01Jan21.JPG.c3f38218da8112fc2c6978b6cfc728df.JPG

epscase02Jan21.JPG.575969d455cd0a4dce0387912bed628f.JPG

john, your 8mm and 21mm need to go down the case a couple of millimeters, n ever thought you would be that un tidy 🤣

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, faulksy said:

john, your 8mm and 21mm need to go down the case a couple of millimeters, n ever thought you would be that un tidy 🤣

I'll get right onto that Mike :grin:

Just off to find my set square and spirit level !

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Got to be careful here now with John

Here is my case. Brilliant and super padded

Top left 5mm pentax and 8mm ethos

Bottom 21e and 13e

Far right s.i.p.s. and finder.

Lid has my filters

Outside pockets have, sqm, all batterys , hardwares, lens cleaning cloths and notepad,pen and laser 

20210508_120036.jpg

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, faulksy said:

Bottom 21e and 13e

Lid has my filters

Outside pockets have, sqm, all batterys , hardwares, lens cleaning cloths and notepad,pen and laser 

20210508_120036.jpg

I love the simplicity of that. Sometimes I think I’d need less gear to actually go to space than what I take on a dark site trip!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Littleguy80 said:

I love the simplicity of that. Sometimes I think I’d need less gear to actually go to space than what I take on a dark site trip!

i have tried flight cases but found this brilliant, i have got another box which has my colimation stuff, rain cover etc in. but still more compact

• Like 2

5 hours ago, faulksy said:

Bottom 21e and 13e

Lid has my filters

20210508_120036.jpg

I keep contemplating a camera bag. I’m about to outgrow my small case so have to buy something soon, which one is that, looks very well padded?

Edited by Stardaze

48 minutes ago, Stardaze said:

I keep contemplating a camera bag. I’m about to outgrow my small case so have to buy something soon, which one is that, looks very well padded?

that is amazon basics, brilliant, here is the link

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-shoulder-camera-accessories-interior/dp/B00CF5OHZ2/ref=sr_1_4?crid=11XEF2TN4XDVL&dchild=1&keywords=camera+bag&qid=1620493782&sprefix=camera%2Caps%2C206&sr=8-4

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think I’m finally done with my lockdown eyepiece case revisions. I’ve replaced the ES82 30mm with an APM UFF 30mm. The Lumicon UHC has been replaced with a new TeleVue Nebustar UHC, which arrived from FLO today. If APM ever produce something like the 30mm UFF in 40mm then that will be on my wish list. Other than that, I think I’m set…. for now 😁BCE6093F-3636-47F4-BCD9-7684A7EAF065.thumb.jpeg.a5d5a612eea82bd7959971eb036be1ed.jpeg

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

I think I’m finally done with my lockdown eyepiece case revisions. I’ve replaced the ES82 30mm with an APM UFF 30mm. The Lumicon UHC has been replaced with a new TeleVue Nebustar UHC, which arrived from FLO today. If APM ever produce something like the 30mm UFF in 40mm then that will be on my wish list. Other than that, I think I’m set…. for now 😁BCE6093F-3636-47F4-BCD9-7684A7EAF065.thumb.jpeg.a5d5a612eea82bd7959971eb036be1ed.jpeg

Mine might look a little like a similar copy when it's rehashed shortly. The TV Nebustar is on my shopping list too this year 😀

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Stardaze said:

Mine might look a little like a similar copy when it's rehashed shortly. The TV Nebustar is on my shopping list too this year 😀

Haha well it’s working well for me. I hope you’re happy with your reworked case when it’s done :) 

• Like 2

I was plotting to get one of these cases:

http://www.max-case.co.uk/store/p16/max505cam.html

I currently have one of these

https://televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=64&Tab=_epbag

but now I've got some large APM XWA's (17 cm long) they are to big for the bag even if I demote some EP's, the other option is one of these:

https://televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=64&Tab=_ethos

Edit: Above no longer an option Ethos 4 mm is around 15 cm long, 2 cm too short.

Edited by Deadlake
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

I was plotting to get one of these cases:

http://www.max-case.co.uk/store/p16/max505cam.html

I currently have one of these

https://televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=64&Tab=_epbag

but now I've got some large APM XWA's (17 cm long) they are to big for the bag even if I demote some EP's, the other option is one of these:

https://televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=64&Tab=_ethos

I’m going to go with a camera bag this time like @faulksyposted, having similar EP’s. But, I’m probably going to keep mine to a set of 6. The Max case seems to be the best value for money option. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stardaze said:

I’m going to go with a camera bag this time like @faulksyposted, having similar EP’s. But, I’m probably going to keep mine to a set of 6. The Max case seems to be the best value for money option. 

The other option, a lot cheaper elsewhere is this:

https://www.vanguardworld.co.uk/products/supreme-46d

I like the way the divider comes out, and is then a soft bag. Interesting design.

The puck foam can disintegrate with time and is not space efficent.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

The other option, a lot cheaper elsewhere is this:

https://www.vanguardworld.co.uk/products/supreme-46d

I like the way the divider comes out, and is then a soft bag. Interesting design.

The puck foam can disintegrate with time and is not space efficent.

The problem is whether your collection is likely to change much. The bag works on that score but probably not best if you want a massive collection in one place. Bought a little nanuk case but have outgrown it a bit too quickly. Maybe one day I could see a small bino set in it..

• Like 1