Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

22 minutes ago, John said:

Can't believe the 6 month gap in posting to this thread - it used to be one of the most active on the forum !

These have all gone to new homes now  🤔

P1100367.JPG.412033f9be4c4accc793dc40c849d29f.JPG

I still have the case though 😉

Indeed! This is the original ‘big thread’ isn’t it? 

• Like 2

Enthused by the recent posts here and my tongue in cheek message yesterday, well it has set me thinking.

The last iteration was a  Plano toolbox with padding on base and eyepieces in lens cases, very nice and well protected,
but in use a real pain as getting to the eyepieces was such a mess about, I missed having them laid down and easily accessible.
So here we go; as it was:

IMG_9663.thumb.jpeg.7260b03861c045b8ae14f700dd90ac92.jpeg

Now back to my trusty Baader Morpheus case and easier access;

IMG_9669.thumb.jpeg.3db1144418902b70b5359b7627e08fb5.jpeg

But then you have things to put into the old Toolcase:

IMG_9664.thumb.jpeg.0172575e7dd7c14cda5d6f6c8fbeb3df.jpeg

IMG_9667.thumb.jpeg.b04bd4c9fb409420d96f024d62688361.jpeg

and then the Original Maplins case sits whimpering for attention in the corner; To be continued.

I am done with eyepieces................... for today, well perhaps the next hour or two 😉

Edited by Alan White
typos of course and added images
  • Like 9

20 minutes ago, Alan White said:

I am done with eyepieces................... for today, well perhaps the next hour or two 😉

Maybe, having just got a bino, you may become obsessed with GPC's, Barlows, Powermates and T2 changers instead.

That empty case is waiting 🤣

• Haha 7

6 hours ago, omo said:

Maybe, having just got a bino, you may become obsessed with GPC's, Barlows, Powermates and T2 changers instead.

That empty case is waiting 🤣

Busted! 

• Like 1

On 30/08/2024 at 20:10, Saganite said:

Love it Joe , a case within a case, I did exactly the same....:smiley:

you can't be too careful Steve - my packing up skills are not always at their best by dawn 😬🙂

IMG_3622.thumb.jpeg.c3aed26cd071fef7589d9b7bd5fce14f.jpeg

Edited by josefk
  • Haha 8

We could certainly do with a thread revival in this case (pun intended). I still have a Televue case (for heavy eyepieces) and a Vixen case (for light ones) but I don't often take those cases out any more. Rather I will pick out what eyepieces I will be using, usually no more than a few eyepieces, and I'll take out a small toolbox with only those plus whatever other bits I need just for that session.

• Like 2

No changes to my EP cases in ages I think...

...actually, I did swap out the 35mm Aero ED clone for a 30mm StellaLyra UFF. I also bought a Svbony 8-3mm Zoom which is currently sans case. My APM Superzoom is also sans case. Do I need a zoom case?!

• Like 3

Can I ask why nearly everyone uses plucked foam cases? Is it just the look?

Instead I use a case with moveable padded dividers.  I prefer it as it's so much more flexible.  I can change the configuration accordingly to what I'm taking with me.  It also quickly and easily deals with new eyepieces etc.

I've never found any of the contents ever get damaged.  Neither it seems do photographers who've been using them for ages.

1725280772060343730873559395489.thumb.jpg.59ed40fe5d0785abe480c2ccc8d51a7f.jpg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Second Time Around said:

Can I ask why nearly everyone uses plucked foam cases? Is it just the look?

Instead I use a case with moveable padded dividers.  I prefer it as it's so much more flexible.  I can change the configuration accordingly to what I'm taking with me.  It also quickly and easily deals with new eyepieces etc.

I've never found any of the contents ever get damaged.  Neither it seems do photographers who've been using them for ages.

1725280772060343730873559395489.thumb.jpg.59ed40fe5d0785abe480c2ccc8d51a7f.jpg

I dont use plucked foam I have Shadow Foam much better.

• Like 1

I have found padded dividers ok in Astro and photography too, but as soon as you need something the designer didn’t allow for, then plucked foam is excellent.

However you pad things, pad them from one another at all times.

29 minutes ago, Second Time Around said:

Foam of whatever type is still less versatile than padded dividers though.

True and I was going to write that. Yes once you have cut out for whatever you put in you can't change it unless you buy more foam. 

Edited by wookie1965
  • Like 1

I got used to using plucked foam around 15 years ago. My approach has always been to "loosen" the shape that I want by breaking the foam connections for the first couple of cm down then depressing the area of foam, usually by putting the eyepiece I want to store in it and closing the foam lined lid. The cones of foam in the lid hold the eyepiece firmly in place and after a short while the pluck foam "takes" the shape of the eyepiece quite accurately. If I move on to a different eyepiece, the foam area can quite quickly be pulled back to level again and the approach repeated for the new arrival. 

I don't know where I got this technique from but it works and therefore I've had just a couple of eyepiece cases over the past 20 years which have served a highly variable and in the past, volatile, eyepiece collection.

I currently have an empty 15 year old eyepiece case that used to house a set of very heavy and large eyepieces. Ethos, Nagler 31, ES 17 and 12mm 92's etc, etc. It's plucked foam interior is original and has pretty much returned to it's original flatness now. Ready for a rush of blood to the head and a new set of behemoth eyepieces 😁

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

The case I showed pictured is a B&W Type 3000. It has the option of a foam interior but I've decided not to replace the dividers with foam.

This is because, as I posted earlier, I often vary what I take outside.  So the dividers are a more practical option for me.

However, I can see why John likes his system.

I'm afraid I'm far too lazy to do any plucking of any description. My cases came pre-plucked. One is the Baader Morpheus case and the other one is from FLO for storing eyepieces vertically. I'm sorry but I'm just far too lazy to include any photos 🙄.

• Haha 5

11 hours ago, John said:

I got used to using plucked foam around 15 years ago. My approach has always been to "loosen" the shape that I want by breaking the foam connections for the first couple of cm down then depressing the area of foam, usually by putting the eyepiece I want to store in it and closing the foam lined lid. The cones of foam in the lid hold the eyepiece firmly in place and after a short while the pluck foam "takes" the shape of the eyepiece quite accurately. If I move on to a different eyepiece, the foam area can quite quickly be pulled back to level again and the approach repeated for the new arrival. 

I don't know where I got this technique from but it works and therefore I've had just a couple of eyepiece cases over the past 20 years which have served a highly variable and in the past, volatile, eyepiece collection.

I currently have an empty 15 year old eyepiece case that used to house a set of very heavy and large eyepieces. Ethos, Nagler 31, ES 17 and 12mm 92's etc, etc. It's plucked foam interior is original and has pretty much returned to it's original flatness now. Ready for a rush of blood to the head and a new set of behemoth eyepieces 😁

This is my approach too and can confirm it does spring back, though my changes have not been that frequent.

• Like 1

On 03/09/2024 at 15:35, JeremyS said:

Saw this hardwood EP case video, by Doctor D, mentioned on another forum:

image.jpeg.254a3f503d0c42652b9b24ed5a942400.jpeg

https://www.youtube.com/@DanielSmith-km4tu/videos

Hi Jeremy,

When did you first saw this case? Did it hurt your fingers, or did you saw it gently and slowly? Why did you saw it, was it too big? 

It may be a saw point, but I have to say that I do find all this talk of saw-ing a perfectly good eyepiece case rather, er, sawdid...🤦‍♂️.:help:😋:hiding:

Dave

• Haha 5