SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A kindred spirit.

ollypenrice

I came across this on the net this morning. Heartwarming stuff.

But why do TV presenters have to jump on bizarre bandwagons of affected pronunciation? The absurd rhythms of the opening  are something they copy from each other, a bit like people speaking over tannoys: The train arriving AT platform four WILL be the 19:28 stopping at Clapton Muffet, Scrippleweed Elves and Bampton in the Mire...  Why can't they just talk normally like the admirable chap being interviewed???

Olly

Olly,

Really great to see this, thanks for posting it.

I met Dave Tyler right at the start of his astro journey back in the early 1970's when we both shared another hobby, archery and used to practice shooting together in Staines, Mx. He was a multiple National Archery champion back then and still holds some UK records. When he found out that I was also interested in astronomy and had a 4" newtonian telescope we got together comparing my 4" with his 3" refractor mentioned in this clip. We lost touch after I got married in 1975, but found each other again a few years ago when I was researching the Moon and came across the below link for the lunar waorld record image attempt, of which he was a team member.

http://www.lunarworldrecord.org/index.php

Since we reconnected Dave has been my planetary and solar imaging mentor. A very talented imager and engineer, not only building his obsevatory and making a huge range of telescopes and accessories, he also used to manufacture his own crossbows. He is one of the most genuine, likeable persons you could ever meet, a very patient tutor and is my goto person on all aspects of imaging, telescope design, collimation, perfomance, etc., etc.

You made my day seeing this again.

Cheers, Geof

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

But why do TV presenters have to jump on bizarre bandwagons of affected pronunciation?

This particular example is exceptionally irritating.  Do they not realise that when people hear speech with unusual patterns of stress and intonation that it actually makes it more awkward to follow?  Or is it perhaps done deliberately for that very reason?

The moment's hesitation when asked what his wife thought about his hobby amused me :)  Some lovely images, regardless.

Looks as though he has a website here.  He clearly didn't hang around with that 3" refractor too long judging by some of the older photos.  I wonder how many amateurs had a 15"+ newt in the mid 70s?

James

54 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Olly,

Really great to see this, thanks for posting it.

I met Dave Tyler right at the start of his astro journey back in the early 1970's when we both shared another hobby, archery and used to practice shooting together in Staines, Mx. He was a multiple National Archery champion back then and still holds some UK records. When he found out that I was also interested in astronomy and had a 4" newtonian telescope we got together comparing my 4" with his 3" refractor mentioned in this clip. We lost touch after I got married in 1975, but found each other again a few years ago when I was researching the Moon and came across the below link for the lunar waorld record image attempt, of which he was a team member.

http://www.lunarworldrecord.org/index.php

Since we reconnected Dave has been my planetary and solar imaging mentor. A very talented imager and engineer, not only building his obsevatory and making a huge range of telescopes and accessories, he also used to manufacture his own crossbows. He is one of the most genuine, likeable persons you could ever meet, a very patient tutor and is my goto person on all aspects of imaging, telescope design, collimation, perfomance, etc., etc.

You made my day seeing this again.

Cheers, Geof

No surprises to hear that this gentleman is a good egg. He certainly comes across as such.

Olly

I'm pleased to say that I also know Dave Tyler personally and echo all the good things said about him. I'm on his internet mailing list and regularly receive his latest images. During a visit to his observatory I purchased a 8"F25 periscope doublet that he had refigured, it is the heart of the Camera obscura at the Astronomy Centre.  ?

I had no issues? A young, female, reporter interviewing an older (like me!)
Amateur Astronomer talking enthusiastically about Astronomy! The "Does
your wife mind"(?) made me chuckle a bit. But professional science seems
to limit us to just one "science genius" per family! Or WE stay single? lol ?

I don't really care how people speak... spell... punctuate... within reason? ?

Born in Shropshire, educated in Cheshire (greater Manchester!) I worked
at CERN for seven years... I used to speak more clearly for foreigners! lol.
Only one person (Oxbridge, Female, "Fellow") asked for a "translation"... ?

NO wish to start a riot, but (within limits) does it matter how we POST
our thoughts? Some of us like to (harmlessly) PLAY with words a bit...
Such is not my "personality". I hope I do lighten the mood sometimes? ? 

Heartwarming indeed. Inspirational too, although I'm afraid this gentleman puts me to shame.
I sort of tread in the same footsteps, but although I have built my own Obs, and it is equipped with all the necessary
equipment, I'm thinking more than doing. I blame Golf. 

But why do TV presenters have to jump on bizarre bandwagons of affected pronunciation?

This seems to be very common these days - so much so that I didn't notice until I played it back again.  At least she spoke clearly and didn't gabble like so many youngsters these days.

1 minute ago, Macavity said:

I sense my main problem! I HOPE that 2019 reverses this tendency? ?
(For me personally) such might reverse a lot of negative thinking etc.

I live in hope too, perhaps we'll both re awaken?.

The gentleman speaks for a lot of us, when he said he doesn't have to think about going out there, he just does it. The vast majority of population have now clue what contribution to astronomy/science is being made by astronomers all over the world from their back gardens. 

On 30/12/2018 at 09:26, ollypenrice said:

I came across this on the net this morning. Heartwarming stuff.

But why do TV presenters have to jump on bizarre bandwagons of affected pronunciation? The absurd rhythms of the opening  are something they copy from each other, a bit like people speaking over tannoys: The train arriving AT platform four WILL be the 19:28 stopping at Clapton Muffet, Scrippleweed Elves and Bampton in the Mire...  Why can't they just talk normally like the admirable chap being interviewed???

Olly

We regret to inform our passengers that following the merger of VeryCrossRail and Non-Arriva  all services to Bampton in the Mire are now suspended.

Archived