Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Some shots with Orion SteadyPix Smartphone adaptor

SacRiker

This was my first time out with the scope since August of 2017! How did I let it go for so long? Anyway, I finally cracked open my Orion SteadyPix gimmick and put it through some quick paces. Unfortunately I picked a night without any planets but I could still tell that the device will be a decent way to get some shots on a shoestring budget. Here are a couple of shots from my iPhone using the Orion adaptor (strapped to my 8" Dob and 25mm EP). Orion Nebula and Pleiades.

FullSizeRender 8.jpg

IMG_2819.JPG

Nice shots there, you've managed to get good focus on them plus good dark background.

Have you tried any of the apps like Nightcap or Procam for taking shots with longer exposures? I also find PS Express and Snapseed good for a bit of 'on phone processing.

We do have a smartphone imaging section now, so feel free to come on in there if you would like to!

On 30/12/2018 at 00:51, Stu said:

Have you tried any of the apps like Nightcap or Procam for taking shots with longer exposures?

Just a follow up question on this -- are the long exposure apps a waste of time considering I have a dob? 

3 hours ago, SacRiker said:

Just a follow up question on this -- are the long exposure apps a waste of time considering I have a dob? 

I must confess I find anything over a second tends to show star trailing, but even so, these apps give you good control of ISO and shutter speed so you can make sure you get correct exposure. They are useful on planets and the moon too, as phone apps tend to over exposed these targets.

That said, the included app on my S9 is very good and I find myself tending to use this now as it gives similar control for shorter exposures. Nightcap will do much longer though.

Archived