Narrowband

DIY FTDI EQDIR USB Adapter - rj12 wiring?

adyj1

Hi

I'd like to make my own FTDI EQDIR USB Adapter for my new(to me) AZ GTi  mount... 

Does anyone know what the pinouts for the rj12 connector are? The 8-pin RJ45 connections are well documented, but I can't find a 6-pin RJ12 wiring diagram...

Lynx astro do make one, so I know it is possible ? 

Thanks

Ady

On page 8 of the AZ-GTI manual it gives the pinout of the RJ12 connector which you can match to the known RJ45 pinout. It uses 3.3V logic. As noted on the EQDIRECT page the AZ-EQ6 and EQ8 have 3.3V logic but will happily work with 5V TTL FTDI adapters. Whether the AZ-GTI will also cope with 5V logic I don't know so it might be worth getting the 3.3V FTDI adapter to be sure it'll work. If anyone knows whether it will work using 5V logic it would be useful to know.

Alan

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, symmetal said:

On page 8 of the AZ-GTI manual it gives the pinout of the RJ12 connector which you can match to the known RJ45 pinout. It uses 3.3V logic. As noted on the EQDIRECT page the AZ-EQ6 and EQ8 have 3.3V logic but will happily work with 5V TTL FTDI adapters. Whether the AZ-GTI will also cope with 5V logic I don't know so it might be worth getting the 3.3V FTDI adapter to be sure it'll work. If anyone knows whether it will work using 5V logic it would be useful to know.

Alan, 

Thanks very much for your post, but there appears to be a problem with your link. When I click it, it says "Do you really want to download the manual for the THIRD time, Ady? Do you?"... ? ? ? ? 

Thanks for the pointer, exactly the info I needed - didn't expect it to be in the manual!

And thanks also for the 3.3v/5v reminder. 

Ady

• Like 1

Alan,

Sorry, my humour was a bit obtuse; I meant that I've downloaded the manual a few times but didn't actually spot the pinouts,and now that someone has pointed it out I feel a bit sheepish ?? ? ... 

(I blame electronic manuals - if I'd had a paper one I'd have spotted it. Probably ?

Thanks again for your help ☺ 

Ady

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...
On 30/12/2018 at 09:52, adyj1 said:

Alan,

Sorry, my humour was a bit obtuse; I meant that I've downloaded the manual a few times but didn't actually spot the pinouts,and now that someone has pointed it out I feel a bit sheepish ??? ... 

(I blame electronic manuals - if I'd had a paper one I'd have spotted it. Probably ?

Thanks again for your help ☺ 

Ady

Hello Ady, 

Did you end up building your cable? Can I have a closeup picture to take a look at the colors of the cables in the pins, please?

Its not crear to me if the pinout depicted in the manual is the female or male part and also how to know the colors of the pins that come from the usb side. I have a cable which I bought that doesn't work, so I assume is not the correct pinout, thats what I want to correct. 

Thanks for your help. 

regards,

Jorge

With the pins of the male connector facing you (and the latch therefore facing away from you) with the cable entry at the bottom, the pins are numbered from left to right, as in this photo:

spacer.png

The drawing in the manual would be how the (female) socket would look from the outside I think.

James

• Thanks 1

As James said, the pinout shown in the manual is looking into the socket from the outside. The tab on the RJ12 here is on top. Many RJ plug pinout drawings show the tab on the bottom which is why the numbering looks reversed on the diagram.

If you have a standard FTDI USB to RS-232 cable (TTL or 3.3V level version) with six wires coloured Black, Brown, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green then connect as follows

FTDI Black (GND) to RJ12 pin 5 GND)

FTDI Orange (TXD) to RJ12 pin 4 (RXD)

FTDI Yellow (RXD) to RJ12 pin 2 (TXD)

I find the FTDI cable wires are a little to wide to easily fit into the crimping channels in the RJ12 or RJ45 connectors so I usually splice the FTDI cable to a ready made RJ12 or RJ45 cable with one end cut off. See how you go. :smile:

Alan

• Thanks 1

On 20/01/2020 at 17:16, JamesF said:

With the pins of the male connector facing you (and the latch therefore facing away from you) with the cable entry at the bottom, the pins are numbered from left to right, as in this photo:

spacer.png

The drawing in the manual would be how the (female) socket would look from the outside I think.

James

Thanks James

On 21/01/2020 at 12:38, symmetal said:

As James said, the pinout shown in the manual is looking into the socket from the outside. The tab on the RJ12 here is on top. Many RJ plug pinout drawings show the tab on the bottom which is why the numbering looks reversed on the diagram.

If you have a standard FTDI USB to RS-232 cable (TTL or 3.3V level version) with six wires coloured Black, Brown, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green then connect as follows

FTDI Black (GND) to RJ12 pin 5 GND)

FTDI Orange (TXD) to RJ12 pin 4 (RXD)

FTDI Yellow (RXD) to RJ12 pin 2 (TXD)

I find the FTDI cable wires are a little to wide to easily fit into the crimping channels in the RJ12 or RJ45 connectors so I usually splice the FTDI cable to a ready made RJ12 or RJ45 cable with one end cut off. See how you go. :smile:

Alan

Thanks a lot Adam. That saved the day. 

• 5 months later...

Hi Guys,

Im hoping you can help. I have my Az-gti mount stuck in updating firmware and I am hoping to make up a cable to recover the firmware flash without having to buy the WI-fi dongle. I don't have a handset so thats not an option.

Can you confirm if the voltage was 3.3 V or 5V and can you confirm if this cable would allow me to do a OCM port flash of the  MCB ?

Many Thanks in advance

Andy