SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Vdb 14 and 15 in Camelopardalis

Allinthehead

Hi all. This one has been on my hard drive for a couple of months as i couldn't get anything i liked out of the data. I had another go this morning and ended up with this. 

8 hrs in 150 second subs at gain 50

Zwo Asi 071 pro through a Takahashi Epsilon 130d

Az Eq6.

Stacked in APP.

Processed in APP, PI and PS

Hope you like it 

Richard.

744125715_Vdb_14FinalFinal.thumb.jpg.46e3ac22def87b56ff68c15e3a78d6d4.jpg

It's a nice pair of targets and Stock 23, the little cluster upper right, is also attractive. There is strong Ha signal between the cluster and the VdB pair if you feel inspired! It belongs to a Sharpless object though I forget the catalogue number. I think you have a great result but feel that the reds may be a bit subdued both in the fainter stuff and in the stars.

Olly

Edit: Have you tried the Ps trick in Selective Colour of lowering the cyans in the reds? My hunch is that it might pop the Ha a bit.

Thanks Olly. Always good to get feedback like this. I did try to leave some green in there, i wonder has this caused the issue.

15 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Edit: Have you tried the Ps trick in Selective Colour of lowering the cyans in the reds? My hunch is that it might pop the Ha a bit.

Yes i also used this trick twice iirc. I think using Grad X altered my colour balance and i lost some of the red in the background.

Finally back home after being away for xmas, so just seeing this now on a proper monitor. 

I really, really like this! Your setup is truly singing, the combination of Epsilon and ASI 071 really does deliver excellent dense starry fields (let's not forget though that the majority of the praise must go to the operator of course!). 

Top work Richard. ?

14 hours ago, Xiga said:

Finally back home after being away for xmas, so just seeing this now on a proper monitor. 

I really, really like this! Your setup is truly singing, the combination of Epsilon and ASI 071 really does deliver excellent dense starry fields (let's not forget though that the majority of the praise must go to the operator of course!). 

Top work Richard. ?

Thanks Ciarán glad you like it and hope you had a nice holiday. Is my memory right in thinking you use a D5500?

5 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Thanks Ciarán glad you like it and hope you had a nice holiday. Is my memory right in thinking you use a D5500?

Almost. It's a D5300, which I think is very similar (don't quote me on that though ?

Oh, Happy New Year! ?

1 hour ago, Xiga said:

Almost. It's a D5300, which I think is very similar (don't quote me on that though ?

Oh, Happy New Year! ?

Yes same sensor. Do you rate it? Qhy do the 247c that has this sensor and it's on my shortlist for a new camera.

Sound Happy New Year

On 31/12/2018 at 21:48, Allinthehead said:

Yes same sensor. Do you rate it? Qhy do the 247c that has this sensor and it's on my shortlist for a new camera.

Sound Happy New Year

The sensor in the D5300 has definitely impressed me Richard. Contrary to any semblance of common sense or logic ? I've mostly been using mine to do bi-colour narrowband work, and even with the added obstacle of the Bayer matrix to contend with, it's still sensitive enough to produce images that I'm at least not embarrassed to show to people ? 

In all honesty though, it's shown itself to be a real workhorse. Of course I've nothing to else to compare it to, as it's the only camera I've ever used for DSO work, but so far it's handled everything I've thrown at it. Dark current is low enough as to be rendered virtually immaterial. Thermal noise is also extremely low (i regularly do 1200s NB subs without issue, and i can't think of too many other DSLR users out there using subs this long). A TEC cooled version of it, such as the Qhy, would make for a great OSC camera I would think. 

21 hours ago, Xiga said:

The sensor in the D5300 has definitely impressed me Richard. Contrary to any semblance of common sense or logic ? I've mostly been using mine to do bi-colour narrowband work, and even with the added obstacle of the Bayer matrix to contend with, it's still sensitive enough to produce images that I'm at least not embarrassed to show to people ? 

In all honesty though, it's shown itself to be a real workhorse. Of course I've nothing to else to compare it to, as it's the only camera I've ever used for DSO work, but so far it's handled everything I've thrown at it. Dark current is low enough as to be rendered virtually immaterial. Thermal noise is also extremely low (i regularly do 1200s NB subs without issue, and i can't think of too many other DSLR users out there using subs this long). A TEC cooled version of it, such as the Qhy, would make for a great OSC camera I would think. 

Well that's a glowing reference. Definitely one for me to consider. Thanks 

Archived