DIY Guide scope rings advice.

Danjc

I have decided to make some rings for my guide scope (SW 9x50) and pretty much have it all covered. 

Ordered some aluminium tube and utilised  there 2 x free cut service that I will mount on a length of dovetail I have. 

I already have a M6x1 tap so plan on using M6 cap head screws for the adjustment screws. 

Question is as I don’t want to scratch up the finder to much if at all would these be ok https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F122740864851 or would they induce potential flexure ? alternatively would a little bit of Araldite 2 part epoxy tipped on each screw head be ok. 

Dan. 

Might be okay but they are usually pretty soft so apart from maybe flexure the screws may cut through them after a while (although rounding the ends of the screws with a file will help).

I think something like this will be better although this site only offers screws up to 26 mm long so not sure if this is long enough or not.

Nylon Tipped M6

Or buy an imperial tap and get some proper screws

Guidescope Ring Thumbscrews 3/8 or 1/4

Steve

I think anything of a flexible non marring nature is likely to produce flexure problems at some stage. For an important job such as a guidescope facility I woud smooth off the ends of the screws as best possible and accept any marks that occur, these are legitimate cosmetic marks in the circumstances.   ?

3 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

I think anything of a flexible non marring nature is likely to produce flexure problems at some stage. For an important job such as a guidescope facility I woud smooth off the ends of the screws as best possible and accept any marks that occur, these are legitimate cosmetic marks in the circumstances.   ?

I would like to not Mark it up but functionally wins every time in this case. 

I can sand them down easily and there is no additional cost involved purchasing anything extra which is win win. 

I will probably go the M6 bolt route as they are cheap enough from screwfix and should bring the whole thing in around £10   

Archived