Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

APM Eyepiece Grab

Sunshine

I've been watching the classifieds like a hawk for the last month or so, waiting for the right eyepieces to mate with my Starmaster, i needed a bottom end high power and a upper end low power to bookend my tiny collection. The high power is in the works but i did pounce on a great low power bit as soon as i saw it, an APM ultra flat field 18mm, from what i hear it should be a nice fit for my scope.

Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 10.23.41 PM.png

• Like 4

The 24mm APM UFF is similar in design and quite nice.  The 30mm APM UFF is an entirely different design and evicted my venerable 27mm Panoptic from my A-team case.  Let us know your thoughts on the 18mm.  I'm mostly curious if it has enough eye relief to use with eyeglasses.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Alan White said:

So after 2 years, what are your thoughts on the APM UFF 18 mm @Sunshine?

Since purchasing that eyepiece, I have gone through two scopes before settling with my 115mm refractor, I have yet to use it in my refractor. The few times have used it, I do recall very pleasant views with very minimal edge of field brightening and, no field curvature that I could notice. This weekend I will give it a good go with my refractor which will yield a low magnification, from a build quality POV, it is a solid eyepiece with decent eye relief, I'll be sure to reply again with my findings, which scope would you use it with assuming you would be interested in the same eyepiece?.

Edited by Sunshine

I asked as I have one as well, and use it in both scopes.

I feel it’s an APM 19mm Panoptic, or very close, but with good eyerelief.

It works with my glasses and the eye cup is solid yet soft if that makes any sense.

My purchase was a test run, I bought the 18 used as I was looking at 30 mm APM UFF for the dob,
glad I did as I rather like it in itself.
Ordered the 30 mm the next day.

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 1

Its like a 27 mm Panoptic that it replaces, but with no undercut (Hurrah) and longer eye relief and cheaper new than a used Panoptic.
So usable with glasses.
Only used as a quick grab look last night at the Moon, which was a test of use with glasses, can see whole field.
As to anything else, needs a clear night and a cooled scope, so will test ASAP and report back.

Build quality is super, very simple and utilitarian, which I personally like.

• Like 3