Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello!

Recneps

Hello everyone,

Just joined this site and it already looks great. I've been into astronomy for a while but never got round to getting a telescope, just taking photos with the professional mode on my phone and matching it to charts on the star walk app. I've just been given a Sky Watcher 114 (I know this is very much a low level beginner telescope) but I hope to get a better understanding of it all and then purchase an expensive one in the future.

I just hope the weather clears up soon so I can give it a proper go.

Hi, Recneps, and welcome to SGL.

The SW114 will give you some reasonable views (if/when the weather clears!). Take time to enjoy the learning experience and to wonder at the wonders you will see. Plenty of time for "an expensive one" once you know where exactly your passion lays and you can get something that plays to that.

Enjoy the journey.

1 hour ago, Ben the Ignorant said:

Doesn't have to be that expensive if you buy with strategy, plenty of advice to find value here. Welcome.

Thanks, I'll be sure to read up before making a purchase. Thanks.

58 minutes ago, adyj1 said:

Welcome to the forum, 

What focal length is your telescope? (it should say on the label). 

Ady

D=114

F=500

I've measured the opening to be 2.5"

(Sorry wasn't sure which one is focal length, guessing it's the F500 though).

Thanks in advance 

Yes, it's the 500 that is the focal length. That is the better of the two SW 114 scopes (I have one for travelling) . Absolutely fine for starting out on your astronomy journey.

What mount is it sitting on? 

1 hour ago, adyj1 said:

Yes, it's the 500 that is the focal length. That is the better of the two SW 114 scopes (I have one for travelling) . Absolutely fine for starting out on your astronomy journey.

What mount is it sitting on? 

That's good to hear. I believe it's the EQ1 which I think is the one that came standard with it.

5 hours ago, Recneps said:

That's good to hear. I believe it's the EQ1 which I think is the one that came standard with it.

Ah, that's good. Whilst the EQ1 is a little bit flimsy (after moving or adjusting the telescope, it may take a few seconds to stop shaking), it is certainly good enough and will allow you to learn the ropes.

Any questions - don't be afraid to ask!

Ady

Archived