Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Blank Sun 28.12.18 in white light. 2 Proms in H-a.

Rusted

Had an unexpected hour of bright sunshine here at 55N:

Blank in white light in the 7" f/12 full aperture Baader foil.

Two prominences close together in H-alpha in the 6" f/8 D-ERF, Mair, PST for 120mm f/10 equivalent.
Western limb judging by the direction of cloud travel. I was using a 45° erecting elbow for comfort.

Wasted considerable time trying to get a useful image of the prominences in the Neximage5.
Went over to 'direct view' binoviewing without GPC to look for more detail.
Clouded over again now.

I ought to make up a pair of 20mm next for 'direct view' binoviewing without a GPC.
I have pairs of the Meade 4000 in 32mm and 26mm already. Singles of all the rest.
Perhaps I should be looking at pairs of cheaper alternatives with a wider field of view?
Any useful suggestions? Or should I just pick up some S/H 4000s?

4 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Sun has just put in an appearance here but it's too low to see.

I've got a pair of Revelation 20mm which work ok but I use a 2X Barlow with them, about 25GBP.

Dave

Thanks, Dave. I'm trying to avoid adding Barlows or a GPC.

The Revelation don't offer any increase in field of view.

Since I already have the 20mm 4000 it will be marginally cheaper to look for another S/H example.

Chris

1 hour ago, Peter Drew said:

Loads of activity in Ha today, unfortunately loads of cloud as well. GONG has the evidence.    ?

Thanks, Peter. Since we have a resident expert on hand:  :thumbsup:
Dare I ask the orientation of these H-alpha images? They are not obviously marked.
I never know which way is up [N/S & E/W] with the often weird angles of my diagonals/ elbows/ binoviewers.
Often the only clue is to check the direction of the passing cloud across the image but that isn't always present.

It might be useful if I used the correct nomenclature and orientation of prominences when I tease you lot with a report after a rare glimpse of the Sun.
Being retired and having a permanent set-up, with only a minute or two delay before I am "live," I am in a fortunate position compared with most here.
Most of whom are usually hard at work down the mines. Looking for these Ibiza-coins [whatever they are.] ?‍♂️

I'm not sure the "RE" cap fits well unless it's long and conical. However, I do believe the GONG images are "correct" orientated. If it's any consolation, my 6" has a rotatable focuser and that allied to the solar diagonal means that I'm mostly at a loss to know the orientation of what I'm seeing.    ?

Thanks, Peter.

I thought it was just me failing to spot the extremely obvious.  :icon_clown:

We have sunshine forecast again today. The Moon and Venus are presently struggling with cloud.

I'll have to get my squeegee out. To clear the 'windscreen.'  :wink2:

Archived