Narrowband

Mesu not tracking on initial testing

Tom OD

Just now, steppenwolf said:

Hi Olly, TeamViewer is pretty solid - any issues are normally down to the Internet link (not a problem at your place I suspect) or one of the PCs and the Eagle doesn't seem that stable?

Thanks Steve and happy new year seven minutes into 2019! Best wishes to Jane as well.

Olly

12 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

Hi Olly, TeamViewer is pretty solid - any issues are normally down to the Internet link (not a problem at your place I suspect) or one of the PCs and the Eagle doesn't seem that stable?

Hi Steve,

Would you like to try a teamviewer to my PC so I can show you where am I at later if you have some time?

Tom

Happy new Year too in case I did not say it.

Happy New Year everyone!

The video is very interesting and suffice to say, Tom, that things are not as they should be, yet... I’m sure Steve will establish a lot more with a TeamViewer session. I would be happy to TV in too and have a look if no response from him.

Just now, PhotoGav said:

Happy New Year everyone!

The video is very interesting and suffice to say, Tom, that things are not as they should be, yet... I’m sure Steve will establish a lot more with a TeamViewer session. I would be happy to TV in too and have a look if no response from him.

Thanks Gav,

You re welcome to have a look too.

T.

6 minutes ago, Tom OD said:

Thanks Gav,

You re welcome to have a look too.

T.

I will defer to the Scope Doctor, but if he is too hungover from mad celebrations last night or is busy watching the next in his seasonal Bond film marathon, then I can try and suss things out. I am not fully up to speed with the Eagle box, so will do a bit of research on that first as it does seem that it is partly responsible for your angst. I await updates. 

Edited by PhotoGav

5 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

I will defer to the Scope Doctor, but if he is too hungover from mad celebrations last night or is busy watching the next in his seasonal Bond film marathon, then I can try and suss things out. I am not fully up to speed with the Eagle box, so will do a bit of research on that first as it does seem that it is partly responsible for your angst. I await updates. 

No problem thanks Gav. I'll update as soon as I figure something out.

T.

5 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

I'm off to do my homework on that now!

I m going out for a short walk now, but if you d like you can team viewer into it when  get back just to see how I have the whole thing set up. You might spot something that I m doing wrong. I'll be back in 45mins.

I was using a single "take One" and plate solving that for example, so I only saw the init screen in SGP for the first time last night. I was getting it in CDC. Although I presume its essentially the same. Or is that a bad assumption.

Tom

T

1 minute ago, steppenwolf said:

Hi Tom,

I am available all day, just give me a call.

Ok great. I 'll be back in an 45mins / hour if you d like a quick view before its dark, Just to show you the screen settings I have etc... And the steps I have been following.

I 'll need a few stars out though before I can proper test it.

5 minutes ago, Tom OD said:

Ok great. I 'll be back in an 45mins / hour if you d like a quick view before its dark, Just to show you the screen settings I have etc... And the steps I have been following.

That would be ideal as I need to help you get the mount just working reliably as just a basic mount before we use it on the sky and I am not sure that it is doing that yet!

56 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

I will defer to the Scope Doctor

I'm sure we will both have something to offer here and when we (hopefully) get to the integration with SG Pro stage, it'll be over to you as I only know how to use it for the dome control!

Hear from you soon, Tom.

10 minutes ago, Tom OD said:

I m going out for a short walk now, but if you d like you can team viewer into it when  get back just to see how I have the whole thing set up. You might spot something that I m doing wrong. I'll be back in 45mins.

I was using a single "take One" and plate solving that for example, so I only saw the init screen in SGP for the first time last night. I was getting it in CDC. Although I presume its essentially the same. Or is that a bad assumption.

Tom

T

It is indeed the same init screen. I suppose the difference is that SGP will solve the image and report the exact coordinates to the Init screen, whereas from CDC it is a manual action where you choose an object in CDC and sync the system to that, rather than precise coordinates of where the mount is specifically pointing. 

I look forward to hearing that Steve finds a simple solution to all your woes very soon!

1 minute ago, steppenwolf said:

That would be ideal as I need to help you get the mount just working reliably as just a basic mount before we use it on the sky and I am not sure that it is doing that yet!

I'm sure we will both have something to offer here and when we (hopefully) get to the integration with SG Pro stage, it'll be over to you as I only know how to use it for the dome control!

Hear from you soon, Tom.

I agree, the mount is not working at all as it should yet, stars or no stars!

Between us all we will get this thing up and running properly. 

Another big thanks to Steve for staying on the phone with me for about an hour. 

The bottom line is that the mount is not doing what it should. We kept the trouble shooting to just the  Sitech. Initially we found every second time we opened it it gave errors for Bad Comms. This was odd but it then gave errors randomly on opening and closing. 

This looks like a comms issue, probably a com port on the Eagle. This Eagle has already been back to primaluce for a bad USB board which they said they replaced. Now maybe that is not the issue but it raises an eye brow  

we are unable to open and close the sitech exe consistently where it will not give errors   

I updated to 92eg Sitech  I was on 90P  this made no difference.  On the 4th opening of Sitech the bad comm returned. 

Next is to swap USB ports on the Eagle. 

So somewhere between the physical cables and comms ports and wire connections on the Sitech controller to the Eagle USB board or the cable itself appears to just drop or or disconnect. 

So some more tests to do but this is a real spanner in the works. 

I was just thinking if I could keep the Eagle running but use a USB instead I might b able to use the USB 3.0 board instead of the current USB 2.0 board that the Mesu is using. I really don't want a full overhaul / replacement of the gear. 

I m remaining positive and grateful for the help, this is a great way to understand the in s and outs of the equipment. 

Tom 

Mmm, good and bad... it sounds as though good progress is being made. I hope the Eagle issue is sorted swiftly. Once the comms are reliable it will be much easier to get the Mesu up and running properly. Good work Scope Doctor!

32 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Mmm, good and bad... it sounds as though good progress is being made. I hope the Eagle issue is sorted swiftly. Once the comms are reliable it will be much easier to get the Mesu up and running properly. Good work Scope Doctor!

Good and bad. Exactly. 

So how do you makes comms more reliable. That is tricky. The incoming power is from the Eagle, from its own power supply at 12.9v.  This comes from a UPS. So should be stable, at least. 

What would cause drops in comms in USB?, bad hardware, not enough dram or something for data transfer, bad or low power, dodgy cables, or weak s/w capability / settings.  

So much to diagnose yet. I don't fancy sending either equipment back for replacement 

Tom 

1 hour ago, Tom OD said:

I updated to 92eg Sitech  I was on 90P  this made no difference.  On the 4th opening of Sitech the bad comm returned. 

Sadly, this was a long-shot but the first thing the manufacturers advise is to use the latest drivers so it was worth a go and it was a potential quick option.

We are still stuck with the patchy comms issue and I really feel that until this is resolved there is little point in moving further up the control chain - sadly we don't currently have a reliable 'basic mount' but we'll get there!

Let me know how the USB swap goes, Tom.

1 hour ago, PhotoGav said:

I would say the first thing to try is a different USB cable. Then a different USB port. Then cry helplessly into your hands and send the Eagle back... I hope an alternative USB something cures the problem.

Again, :( That will make me cry. That would mean then a second return to Primaluce. I think I 'll try an external hub but try and keep the power and PC from the eagle. I know it has its uses, and I d like it to work if at all possible.

Tom

These mini scope-top computers are not doing well at Les Granges. Our robotic team have had several from three different manufacturers and they have all been sent back, one of them several times. How about Sara's solution of a big old desktop PC with lots of USB ports?

Olly