Narrowband

Mesu not tracking on initial testing

Tom OD

Hi SGL,

Well it did not take long for me to come running for help.

This is really confusing. I have been following the many ways to get my mount running, yet its still just sitting there doing nothing.

I had it manually moved to Capella this evening. I was able to Plate Solve in SGP, and I went to the SiTech RA/Dec fields on the GoTo tab and I entered the blind solved co ords there. Then I did a Sync.

I got confusing error messages from the Init, about SiTech thinking it was West ad that I was Syncing East. 

When I opened CDC and Sync'ed in the area of the Blind Solve co ords from SGP, I was able do a Star Init after I ignored the error warning for SiTech and again which side of the mount it was on. I selected the East when the field opened

which allowed me to so the Star Init.

Now I have the scope tracking according to CDC, and Tracking according to the SiTech.exe Yet Each photo I take shows no tracking. The mount is powered. If I uncheck the tracking, or stop the tracking in CDC / Sitech, it shows stopped.

So is there so other tabs I need to check as to why if everything says its tracking, that it is not. I m out of ideas.

Thanks Tom.IMG_6639.thumb.JPG.a7841a76d451dbc18ae3ba27290c5daa.JPG

from what I can see from your picture, you are using the POTH TELESCOPE driver.. in CDC.. is that the correct way to connect CDC to your mount ?? could hat be the reason ?

I do not have MESU mount, but the POTH DRIVER should only be used if your mount does not have native "own" drivers for connecting externaöl software to your mount software.

Can you try to connect CDC directly via SITECH owns driver. & not via POTH ). ? and see if then eveything works ?

Cheers

Martin

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, artem said:

from what I can see from your picture, you are using the POTH TELESCOPE driver.. in CDC.. is that the correct way to connect CDC to your mount ?? could hat be the reason ?

I do not have MESU mount, but the POTH DRIVER should only be used if your mount does not have native "own" drivers for connecting externaöl software to your mount software.

Can you try to connect CDC directly via SITECH owns driver. U not via POTH ). ? and see if then eveything works ?

Cheers

Martin

POTH is needed to allow multiple applications to connect to your mount.. ?

Just now, artem said:

POTH is needed to allow multiple applications to connect to your mount.. ?

I don’t think that is true... I have a Mesu and use the SiTech ASCOM driver and connect simultaneously with CDC and SGP with no problem.

2 minutes ago, artem said:

Can you try to connect CDC directly via SITECH owns driver. U not via POTH ). ? and see if then eveything works ?

Cheers

Martin

Hi Martin,

Yes I m using the POTH driver, as I have PHD2 and the CDC or SiTech to control the mount. I was told that if I m going to go with Pulse guiding that POTH is the setting I need as I have

to s/w programs sending signals to the mount.

I'll try just the Sitech setting to see if that does anything though.

Thanks Tom.

2 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

I don’t think that is true... I have a Mesu and use the SiTech ASCOM driver and connect simultaneously with CDC and SGP with no problem.

That is exactly what I am saying ! why use POTH when SITECH own ASCOM driver can perfrom same !!?

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Have you connected to the mount in SGP and done a Solve & Sync from there?

Yes its connected and I did a blind solve. I m pretty sure I also tried the Solve nd Sync but the telescope field did not update the RA and Dec co ords.

39 minutes ago, Tom OD said:

I had it manually moved to Capella this evening. I was able to Plate Solve in SGP, and I went to the SiTech RA/Dec fields on the GoTo tab and I entered the blind solved co ords there. Then I did a Sync.

I think the best way to sync the mount is with it connected to SGP, then do a Solve & Sync. When the dialog comes up make sure you click Offset Init.

2 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

I’m confused as to why SiTech exe says ‘Reading Servo Parms’...?

Maybe I need to re connect the mount on the Comm port. When I connect to the Eagle, sometimes it defaults to the Mounts com m port and I need to manually change it.

4 minutes ago, Tom OD said:

Hi Martin,

Yes I m using the POTH driver, as I have PHD2 and the CDC or SiTech to control the mount. I was told that if I m going to go with Pulse guiding that POTH is the setting I need as I have

to s/w programs sending signals to the mount.

I'll try just the Sitech setting to see if that does anything though.

Thanks Tom.

GOOD LUCK?

Here we have clouds.. hence no imaging tonight !!?

Cheers

Martin

4 minutes ago, Tom OD said:

Maybe I need to re connect the mount on the Comm port. When I connect to the Eagle, sometimes it defaults to the Mounts com m port and I need to manually change it.

Ah... yes, definitely make sure that the mount com port is set correctly.

If you disconnect everything and then open up SiTech exe, what does it look like?

Do you have the SiTech ASCOM driver installed to connect with that?

Edited by PhotoGav

OK. Tom, SiTech exe is not properly connected to the mount. The Reading Servo Parms is key here. When SiTech exe starts up it communicates with the mount and reads in various settings from the mount. The fact that that message is still showing in SiTech exe suggests that it hasn’t connected properly. Check the Com port in SiTech Config (with SiTech exe closed).

Hi Tom,

I use the Sitech ASCOM driver with CDC and pulse guide with PHD2 no problem. I sync via CDC, whereupon the Sitech Offset Init dialogue box comes up and I click on that. 

I also have had the offset init error with Sitech reporting the scope is pointing in a different direction than it actually is, and if my memory serves me correctly, the mount does not track in this condition. However, I thought the software refused to go into tracking mode which is different to the status you have reported.

I confess I just powered the mount down and started again, whereupon it tracked OK.

Steve

The dialogue box underneath the 'Tracking' button should also be stating 'Tracking' so this is indicative of an incorrect initialisation.

There is no reason why you shouldn't use POTH (I do because it suits my way of working) but this isn't a POTH fault anyway.

As ever, simplify the test by purely supplying power to the mount with no other software running and then run Sitech by itself. If you unpark, does tracking now work or do you still get the same display (i.e. 'Reading Servo Parms')?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhotoGav said:

Ah... yes, definitely make sure that the mount com port is set correctly.

If you disconnect everything and then open up SiTech exe, what does it look like?

Do you have the SiTech ASCOM driver installed to connect with that?

I power cycled the lot. Closed down the s/w then re opened. It looks like I m getting the same SiTech messages, reading servos etc...

Still on tracking, and now I m on the SiTech ascom driver. The Mount should be fully powered up, I m seeing the 0.1A draw on the Eagle from it.

40 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

The dialogue box underneath the 'Tracking' button should also be stating 'Tracking' so this is indicative of an incorrect initialisation.

There is no reason why you shouldn't use POTH (I do because it suits my way of working) but this isn't a POTH fault anyway.

As ever, simplify the test by purely supplying power to the mount with no other software running and then run Sitech by itself. If you unpark, does tracking now work or do you still get the same display (i.e. 'Reading Servo Parms')?

Thanks for the replay. I have not seen Tracking yet in this box.

So as this is the first instance of initialising, is there the possibility that I need to do something prior to just plate solving? Maybe I have missed a step long before just doing a blind plate solve to figure out the mounts position.

Tom.

18 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

What does the info window in SiTech say when you first open it up and what steps are you taking after opening it up?

Hi Gav,

Its still cycling through 4 messages, one of which is "Tracking", the others are the Bad Columns, Servo... etc..

2 hours ago, Tom OD said:

So as this is the first instance of initialising, is there the possibility that I need to do something prior to just plate solving? Maybe I have missed a step long before just doing a blind plate solve to figure out the mounts position.

No, there is nothing else you should have done providing that you carried out a sync and that the sync was a CalStar Init. Your first ever sync must be a CalStar init, not an Offset Init as the former is permanent whereas the latter is transient.

.... and now back to 'Skyfall', I'm afraid!