Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The ultimate telescope for visual

A 12 dob will be then.Maybe a skywatcher.

I've just got a Skywatcher 12" f/5 dob, and it's very good. I'd agree with the others too, on a limited budget it gives you the most aperture for your money, and although it isn't light, it is still fairly easy to move around.

The largest aperture you can comfortably manage on your own.

I say this because experience has taught me that no mater what the "best" scope is for the job, its only as good as your ability to get it outside then set up and used quickly and painlessly.

In my case I had a lovely 10" dob and a tiny little ZS66 on a photo tripod.

The 10" dob was clearly the better scope for visual use but rarely came out as I would be to tired after lugging it out to spend a few hours hunched over the eyepiece, something that caused me discomfort anyway, consequently I found myself using the ZS 66 nearly all the time.

So for me the best scope for visual use was a lowly 66mm refractor.

I've put this here as its so easy for us to say.. oh yes grab a 12" dob, but we dont know if you can physically manage it, and honestly when faced with your nice shiney potential purchase in the shop all thought of how you will manage it gets reduced to "I'll cope, its gorgeous".

I've put this here as its so easy for us to say.. oh yes grab a 12" dob, but we dont know if you can physically manage it, and honestly when faced with your nice shiney potential purchase in the shop all thought of how you will manage it gets reduced to "I'll cope, its gorgeous".

I believe that attitude goes for all gadgets! At least with me lol

Archived