SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Transportation

erg121

Been observing for a couple of years now using my CPC1100 and have now decided to use my Esprit 150 with my EQ6  mount but it seems like it’s going to become a moilitary exercise to transport and set everything up. Does anyone have any ideas that may make things easier setting up, transporting to the middle of a field etc?

Not surprised that there are not many replies to this one.  Unfortunatly, it's a military exercise for everyone.  The best tips that I can suggest is to organise your gear, make sure that you have boxes for carrying everything - a few boxes with compartments tend to work best.   Then its a case of practicing your setup and teardown drills.

Each time you go out, figure out what worked well, and what didn't.  Then re organise your gear to make things better.   Eventually, you'll get to a place where you are happy.

On ‎27‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:31, erg121 said:

Been observing for a couple of years now using my CPC1100 and have now decided to use my Esprit 150 with my EQ6  mount but it seems like it’s going to become a moilitary exercise to transport and set everything up. Does anyone have any ideas that may make things easier setting up, transporting to the middle of a field etc?

It depends how creative you want to be! Here's a good way I used to transport heavy camera gear from my apartment on the 3rd floor to the field. I made myself a little dolly out of wood, just bought a few sheets of ply, layered them together and then added a stair wheel system. It costed about £25! So get yourself some sheets of wood and make sure they can hold your gear, then bolt on some wheels you can find at a DIY store, and use a few PVC pipes or metal rod as a handle. So now you can push it to your car then on the field roll it to where you want. May look a bit silly but then again, it get's the job done. So making your own little car is a cheap easy way to solve your problem but needs a tiny bit of creativity just to make sure it doesn't collapse after one minute. To get it down stairs I used Stair Wheels which are sets of three wheels, one set per corner, and they are aligned in a 360* angle allowing you to glide down the stairs! I'll attach a pic. Save time setting up by turning on all software and laptop gear on at home and just putting the laptop on hibernate before you leave. Align the finder scope at home, just make sure to not bump it or drop it down the stairs! 

Hope this helps!

stair-climber-hand-truck.jpg

One thing I do is leave telescope outside before going and then drive without heat on in my car. I keep my gloves on so my fingers are not numb in sub zero temperatures to assemble everything. This way my scope is cooled from the moment I set up. Other than that - I just keep everything organised so I can put everything together quickly.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll have to try and establish what is and isn't needed  on the next few trips and arrange accordingly.

The dolly is a good idea so a trip to B&Q it is.

Archived