Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_through_the-_eyepiece_winners.thumb.jpg.236833c5815bb321211a43f4d5214ba8.jpg

Shelster1973

Contemplating Obsy.....

8x10 in what units? :)  I'm guessing feet?  Unless your warm room is a lot bigger than it looks :D

James

Lol just in general James as I assume an 8x8 pitched roof would work out around 8x10 ish in area 🤔👍just a rough idea to see how much more my fibre glassing cost. Or maybe I don't want to know lol 

Edited by Guest

:)

The sheet for my observatory roof was just over 4.5m x 5.5m and cost just over £300 including the adhesive.  I'd guess 8'x10' would be around £100.  Of course then you have to fit it...

James

Hmmmm that does work out considerably less in that case but a tad more work. 👍

I bought a long strip of 1.6mm pond liner, a meter wide, which had been cut on the diagonal from a much larger sheet.

A nice bit of black rubber for my skirt, but it was incredibly heavy.  I thought I might need braces, just to hold it up, but the flashing was fine.  :angel4:

• Haha 2

I just remembered they have a calculator on their website, so I stuck the numbers in.  It comes out as £124 for 8'x10' (without trims or anything like that, as I didn't need any for my roof).

James

Cheers, I plan on building a log store / chopping shed this year and didnt think it warrantied  fibre glassing as the roof wont be seen so I think I will defimately go down this route as I am not a fan of roof felt. 👍

I wouldn't mind sage green rubber to avoid painting my dome ever again.

Well here's a twist on this theme. For my 30" I went with a ROT (roll out telescope) instead of a ROR, safer in the wind conditions we can get.    😀

IMG_6641.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

Well here's a twist on this theme. For my 30" I went with a ROT (roll out telescope) instead of a ROR, safer in the wind conditions we can get.    😀

Beautiful (and that's some garden you have there ;) )

Edited by Astrokev
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

IMG_6641.jpg

If that were me, I'd build up a raised ring on the ground around the 'scope.
While leaving a deep cutting for the "aircraft hanger" to withdraw.
That way all those sprogs can reach the eyepiece without a needing a "cherry picker." :wink2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

Fortunately, we have plenty of "sprog" scopes.    😀

<Sniff> :crybaby2: If I was still 1/10 of my present age :crybaby2: I would definitely want to look through the 30"! <Sniff>:crybaby2:

• Haha 2

I'd rather like a look through a 30" as well!