Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Contemplating Obsy.....

Shelster1973

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol just in general James as I assume an 8x8 pitched roof would work out around 8x10 ish in area ??just a rough idea to see how much more my fibre glassing cost. Or maybe I don't want to know lol 

:)

The sheet for my observatory roof was just over 4.5m x 5.5m and cost just over £300 including the adhesive.  I'd guess 8'x10' would be around £100.  Of course then you have to fit it...

James

I bought a long strip of 1.6mm pond liner, a meter wide, which had been cut on the diagonal from a much larger sheet.

A nice bit of black rubber for my skirt, but it was incredibly heavy.  I thought I might need braces, just to hold it up, but the flashing was fine.  :angel4:

I just remembered they have a calculator on their website, so I stuck the numbers in.  It comes out as £124 for 8'x10' (without trims or anything like that, as I didn't need any for my roof).

James

Cheers, I plan on building a log store / chopping shed this year and didnt think it warrantied  fibre glassing as the roof wont be seen so I think I will defimately go down this route as I am not a fan of roof felt. ?

4 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

Well here's a twist on this theme. For my 30" I went with a ROT (roll out telescope) instead of a ROR, safer in the wind conditions we can get.    ?

Beautiful (and that's some garden you have there ;) )

13 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

Well here's a twist on this theme. For my 30" I went with a ROT (roll out telescope) instead of a ROR, safer in the wind conditions we can get.    ?

IMG_6641.jpg

If that were me, I'd build up a raised ring on the ground around the 'scope.
While leaving a deep cutting for the "aircraft hanger" to withdraw.
That way all those sprogs can reach the eyepiece without a needing a "cherry picker." :wink2:

2 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

Fortunately, we have plenty of "sprog" scopes.    ?

<Sniff> :crybaby2: If I was still 1/10 of my present age :crybaby2: I would definitely want to look through the 30"! <Sniff>:crybaby2:

Archived