Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Contemplating Obsy.....

Shelster1973

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, RayD said:

I don't favour either, I think they both have merits, but it must suit what you want or need, not what has suited others needs.

Good luck with the build whichever route you end up going, I'll keep a keen eye.

Absolutely. Very well said Ray ??

I agree with Ray, there are advantages and disadvantages to each type of Obsy.

I love my POD, but I hate the fact that it is a clamshell (was none the wiser when I bought it).  Imaging the Zenith is impossible, so I had to get a dome table constructed so the dome can be slid off onto it, but it's a bit of a nightmare to get back on again especially when i am trying not to wake the neighbours in the early hours, so I don;t use it unless I really have to.  

I often say I would get a ROR if I started again, but that would not give me the "half dome" protection from the elements that I have now.   A slotted dome reaches the Zenith but has to be rotated much more frequently than the POD.  Unless is it motorised of course. 

Carole 

Only having room ( planning permission from the management ) for a six by six ROR shed I made a steel telescopic pier which raises the scope another foot to see over the sides, something to consider to get the best of both worlds, there are commercial ones available at a cost but better to DIY if you're in to that sort of thing.

Dave

Ultimately it's a lot down to your purse ? for me the pros to a dome far out way them of a ROR but like many have pointed out here, its down to personal choice.

That said once you have an idea of which direction to go in first thing for me would be to grab a pencil and do some sketches of ideas and play around with position, orientation etc. 

Good luck with your decisions, sounds like you have a few to make ??

Sometimes ROR is just the best thing for the job.  It's down to the individual circumstances as sometimes the benefits of one type can far outweigh the benefits offered by others.

e-EyE seem to be doing pretty well with dozens of ROR's.

838777474_Screenshot2019-01-10at20_12_35.thumb.png.b9ef0843fa65b32e317382c4894e04f9.png

11 minutes ago, RayD said:

Sometimes ROR is just the best thing for the job.  It's down to the individual circumstances

Lol you're not wrong ? that's why for me and hundreds of others its a dome all the way ? jeezz some one would think this thread was just for ROR fanboys hahahhaha ??

ok. let's take a deep breath. This is about helping the op, not which is the infinitive design.

Personally, I would be using good ol' fashion set-up/strip down, for at least a yr. this will give you some idea as to whether astronomy from home is even viable. It will also allow you to work out which area is the best for an obs. I was a little limited for space so went for a roll-off shed. it's only about 4'6" and the whole thing rolls off. I'm an imager so tend not to "baby-sit my gear. For this reason, I'd only own a dome if it was fully automated. That said, there are plenty of dome owners who seem quite happy keeping things manual. 

this was mid build 

5 minutes ago, RayD said:

Great idea Scott.  Is there a small child inside that pushing it open or have you automated it?

Haha, Well my wife is only 5' and a fag end so she might be confused with a small child :D. Sadly, it's all manual. Still, it takes about 60 seconds to open or close.

1 minute ago, Scott said:

Haha, Well my wife is only 5' and a fag end so she might be confused with a small child :D. Sadly, it's all manual. Still, it takes about 60 seconds to open or close.

?

I like that.  I'm looking for a simple solution out in Spain for a second telescope for visual only, and this type of thing could fit the bill nicely.

1 hour ago, Scott said:

I was a little limited for space so went for a roll-off shed. it's only about 4'6" and the whole thing rolls off.

You know what, Scott, in all the time I've known you, it never occurred to me that your observatory worked quite like this - that is so cool!

I served my apprenticeship setting up an imaging system from scratch for every session, moved on to a completely manual domed observatory (had to remember to skip outside every 25 minutes or so to nudge the dome round a little - more like 'get real' than 'sidereal') and now have an automated domed observatory but I have been impressed with the extra space that you get in a roll off roof and the wondrous view and openness not to mention the more realistic pricing! Both designs have their pros and cons and there absolutely is no definitive answer to which is best.

What isn't in doubt is that although no one needs an observatory, having one sure does make things a lot easier.........

54 minutes ago, RayD said:

Great idea Scott.  Is there a small child inside that pushing it open or have you automated it?

Haha, you beat me to that question!

Very nice. Another option for the OP to consider, although it could be risky on that slope. Could end up with the shed inside the dining room ;) 

I built a small run-off shed many years ago, but far less elegant than yours @Scott. I used OSB and sadly it didn't last the test of time :(

57 minutes ago, RayD said:

?

I like that.  I'm looking for a simple solution out in Spain for a second telescope for visual only, and this type of thing could fit the bill nicely.

But will Scott's wife have the time when she's already pushing a roll-away obsy around in the UK?

James

On 26/12/2018 at 13:02, Shelster1973 said:

The garden points north west and I can just about see Polaris to get things aligned.

Just out of interest Shelster, what does your south view look like, could we maybe see some pics demonstrating your horizon ?

A project can sometimes determine its own budget to a degree given the sky it will see if you follow ? ? ?

I did a lot of mocking up using PVC plumbing pipes, plastic conduit, stepladders and lightweight tarpaulins.

It was invaluable to avoid expensive mistakes but I still wish I had made my observatory larger or had made the building square.

Our OP may have forgotten about street lights and car headlights regularly sweeping the area.

Extra care may be needed to avoid such problems by careful location and height.

A temporary light shield could be made like a banner of black cloth between vertical poles. [Wind willing!]

8 hours ago, JamesF said:

But will Scott's wife have the time when she's already pushing a roll-away obsy around in the UK?

James

Nor could I afford the air fares :icon_eek:

I've just asked Victoria if she's up to the task.  I'll leave you to fill in the blanks from her reply...."N_"! ?

3 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

If this has been mentioned, sorry I missed it.

Assuming some sort of ROR design, do not use roofing felt.

I used butyl pond liner on my obsy over 10 years back and it is still going strong. No leaks, still pliable.

Rubber4Roofs is a good supplier, which is what I used on mine. Heavy as heck but easy to work with once it's up and, as you say, should last years decades.

Mine was 'ordinary' butyl pond liner. From memory 0.9mm thin. Not a heavy duty roof compound.
It avoided adding to the roof weight, which would mean more timber, etc.

The roof covering includes a hinging flap which moves 90deg with every open/close cycle. Not yet split.

5 minutes ago, Astrokev said:

Rubber4Roofs is a good supplier, which is what I used on mine. Heavy as heck but easy to work with once it's up and, as you say, should last years decades.

Yep - same here - great stuff.

5 minutes ago, Astrokev said:

Yes, you really need your Weetabix before you start messing about with that.  It's a lot of weight to be lifting up onto a roof and mucking about with.  Good stuff though.  I used the same for the "beer shack" a few years ago and it's still as good as new.  Even the printing for the size etc. is still there.

James

Just out of interest what does the rubber route cost on say an 8x10 pitched roof? I was talked out of this idea by a friend of mine for various reasons and just went straight for fibre glass ?

Archived