SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Clouds.

cotterless45

Blooming clouds , even a bit of Sun soon turns murky and then dark ,with clouds. Even renamed them as an astronomical feature , "cloads".

Not down about it , as every day my small scale research brings longer and longer of lists of delights to observe . 

Anyone out there got clear skies ?

old Nick.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looked hopeful earlier today but the clouds thickened as the afternoon progressed and now it's a thick grey roof over the countryside. At least the rain kept away so that we could have a nice visit to Slimbridge and enjoy with winter birding.

15 hours ago, cotterless45 said:

Anyone out there got clear skies ?

What's one of those??

Actually, clearoutside is suggesting there might be decent skies here tonight between 5 & 9, but I've had my hopes dashed by CO before ... promising clear skies ... promises that slowly disappear during the day in question as the numbers rise ...

The forecast has been pretty bleak of late. However, Christmas Eve gave some unexpected clear skies. I grabbed 10 minutes with the binoculars. Had it not been Christmas Eve I would have had a decent longer session. There’s been a few times this year where clear skies have materialised despite the best predictions of the weather people. So despite it not looking good, I’m holding onto hope! I’ve also spent some time building up my observing lists ready for when those clear skies do arrive!

7 hours ago, upahill said:

3 weeks of solid cloud here, and loads of astro related xmas gifts, so another 3 weeks minimum predicted :( ☁️

Father in law (well, my GF's father) got bought a 6" Dob for his 75th birthday at the start of October.  He is so enthusiastic and rearing go. He's got to use it twice so far.  It has been dreadful these last couple of months.

17 hours ago, Gina said:

The sun popped out for a couple of minutes here today!!

Are you sure you didn’t accidentally hit the dimmer switch up?!

Might get the solar scope out later,or even go birding with my Ultima, or both! Hows that for a jammed packed minute! Lol

chaz

For the first time in weeks we have blue skies today.  Not sure how that came about.  There was even a little frost on the ground when I got up.  The sunlight is clearly quite feak and weeble however -- the observatory roof has been in full Sun all morning and hasn't dried off yet.

James

Archived