Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion smash and grab

geordie85

Last night was a surprise clear night for for me as it wasn't forecast so i very quickly threw together a dual rig from bits and dovetails i had lying around. Both images are very far from perfect due to short integration time, almost full moon and a street light around 40 ft away and a few degrees under Orion.

1st is an hour of 30 second subs from my Canon 6D and FLT 98. I'm rather happy with my stars since this is a full frame camera used with a hotech field flattener.

2nd image is just over an hour in 60 second subs, software binned 2X2, with my QHY183C and WO Star 71.

m42 6d flt98.jpg

binned m42.jpg

Yes well done! the lower shot is just great with the yellow/golden colours coming out and you even got the running man as well! I envy you where you live as I've not even seen the moon since last wed in south wales.

Yes, the second one does it for me as well.

I am only just beginning to get to grips with my Star71, but I am really impressed with the results it gives. I almost balked at the price for a "small refractor", but I'm glad I didn't, they are such nice scopes.

Wish I could get 60 minutes of imaging time ...

7 hours ago, geordie85 said:

Last night was a surprise clear night for for me as it wasn't forecast so i very quickly threw together a dual rig from bits and dovetails i had lying around. Both images are very far from perfect due to short integration time, almost full moon and a street light around 40 ft away and a few degrees under Orion.

1st is an hour of 30 second subs from my Canon 6D and FLT 98. I'm rather happy with my stars since this is a full frame camera used with a hotech field flattener.

2nd image is just over an hour in 60 second subs, software binned 2X2, with my QHY183C and WO Star 71.

m42 6d flt98.jpg

binned m42.jpg

Hi... Goodmorning.. These are beautiful... I wish I can see these too via my telescope.

I have an F70076 refractor with a 20mm, 12.5mm, 4mm eyepiece, and 2X Barlow.

Can I catch Orion as you have with my F70076 refractor?

1 hour ago, Demonperformer said:

I am only just beginning to get to grips with my Star71, but I am really impressed with the results it gives. I almost balked at the price for a "small refractor", but I'm glad I didn't, they are such nice scopes.

Can my F70076 refractor see Orion like he did?

Goodmorning sir

9 hours ago, ebdons said:

Yes well done! the lower shot is just great with the yellow/golden colours coming out and you even got the running man as well! I envy you where you live as I've not even seen the moon since last wed in south wales.

I haven't seen stars since the Geminids meteor shower. That's why I rushed to set this up as the clear night was a surprise. I've been putting my rig through its paces and making sure everything works without mains power so I can start taking it to dark sites. 

4 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

Once you get it singing you'll love it. I've thought about selling mine a couple of times but I know as soon as the deal is done, I'd regret it and want it back. 

I just need to get some more astro fund so I can buy a device to align both scopes and a new battery to power my mount. Every time I it power  from my 17ah skywatcher power tank the red light constantly blinks. I have had it a few years now so it's probably dying. 

7 hours ago, geordie85 said:

And the offending Street light

Ouch!

Without wishing to belittle the problem, is the fence yours? Would it be possible to add some sort of shield just to block out that little bit of sky that has the streetlight in it? I know it won't help with objects that are too close to the streetlight anyway, but might help for other things.

1 hour ago, Demonperformer said:

Ouch!

Without wishing to belittle the problem, is the fence yours? Would it be possible to add some sort of shield just to block out that little bit of sky that has the streetlight in it? I know it won't help with objects that are too close to the streetlight anyway, but might help for other things.

I've been thinking about making some sort of light blocker recently. Our next door neighbours have put their house up for sale and cut down a tree that used to block that street light perfectly for me. 

Archived