Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_christmas_presents.thumb.jpg.587637e0d01baf4b6d21b73610610bbb.jpg

geordie85

Orion smash and grab

Recommended Posts

Last night was a surprise clear night for for me as it wasn't forecast so i very quickly threw together a dual rig from bits and dovetails i had lying around. Both images are very far from perfect due to short integration time, almost full moon and a street light around 40 ft away and a few degrees under Orion.

1st is an hour of 30 second subs from my Canon 6D and FLT 98. I'm rather happy with my stars since this is a full frame camera used with a hotech field flattener.

2nd image is just over an hour in 60 second subs, software binned 2X2, with my QHY183C and WO Star 71.

m42 6d flt98.jpg

binned m42.jpg

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes well done! the lower shot is just great with the yellow/golden colours coming out and you even got the running man as well! I envy you where you live as I've not even seen the moon since last wed in south wales.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, the second one does it for me as well.

I am only just beginning to get to grips with my Star71, but I am really impressed with the results it gives. I almost balked at the price for a "small refractor", but I'm glad I didn't, they are such nice scopes.

Wish I could get 60 minutes of imaging time ...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, geordie85 said:

Last night was a surprise clear night for for me as it wasn't forecast so i very quickly threw together a dual rig from bits and dovetails i had lying around. Both images are very far from perfect due to short integration time, almost full moon and a street light around 40 ft away and a few degrees under Orion.

1st is an hour of 30 second subs from my Canon 6D and FLT 98. I'm rather happy with my stars since this is a full frame camera used with a hotech field flattener.

2nd image is just over an hour in 60 second subs, software binned 2X2, with my QHY183C and WO Star 71.

m42 6d flt98.jpg

binned m42.jpg

Hi... Goodmorning.. These are beautiful... I wish I can see these too via my telescope.

I have an F70076 refractor with a 20mm, 12.5mm, 4mm eyepiece, and 2X Barlow.

Can I catch Orion as you have with my F70076 refractor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Demonperformer said:

Yes, the second one does it for me as well.

I am only just beginning to get to grips with my Star71, but I am really impressed with the results it gives. I almost balked at the price for a "small refractor", but I'm glad I didn't, they are such nice scopes.

Wish I could get 60 minutes of imaging time ...

Can my F70076 refractor see Orion like he did?

Goodmorning sir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ebdons said:

Yes well done! the lower shot is just great with the yellow/golden colours coming out and you even got the running man as well! I envy you where you live as I've not even seen the moon since last wed in south wales.

I haven't seen stars since the Geminids meteor shower. That's why I rushed to set this up as the clear night was a surprise. I've been putting my rig through its paces and making sure everything works without mains power so I can start taking it to dark sites. 

4 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

Yes, the second one does it for me as well.

I am only just beginning to get to grips with my Star71, but I am really impressed with the results it gives. I almost balked at the price for a "small refractor", but I'm glad I didn't, they are such nice scopes.

Wish I could get 60 minutes of imaging time ...

Once you get it singing you'll love it. I've thought about selling mine a couple of times but I know as soon as the deal is done, I'd regret it and want it back. 

I just need to get some more astro fund so I can buy a device to align both scopes and a new battery to power my mount. Every time I it power  from my 17ah skywatcher power tank the red light constantly blinks. I have had it a few years now so it's probably dying. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've manged to push the QHY183C data a bit further. I'm very surprised at how much this camera has picked up under bortle 6 skies with a big moon and street light near by.

I can't wait to get this under dark skies. 

binned m42 2nd rendition.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, geordie85 said:

And the offending Street light

Ouch!

Without wishing to belittle the problem, is the fence yours? Would it be possible to add some sort of shield just to block out that little bit of sky that has the streetlight in it? I know it won't help with objects that are too close to the streetlight anyway, but might help for other things.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Demonperformer said:

Ouch!

Without wishing to belittle the problem, is the fence yours? Would it be possible to add some sort of shield just to block out that little bit of sky that has the streetlight in it? I know it won't help with objects that are too close to the streetlight anyway, but might help for other things.

I've been thinking about making some sort of light blocker recently. Our next door neighbours have put their house up for sale and cut down a tree that used to block that street light perfectly for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.