Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Miguel1983

EQASCOM wont run

Video just displays blank screen and there is some background music. I can't see what is going on.

Managed to download video and watch it in player.

This is strange indeed, does it just keep flickering like that? Appearing and disappearing from time to time?

EQAscom also needs the ascom platform to run. Have you configured EQAscom using  Setup EQSACOM ? Have you got an EQDir cable connected and correctly configured (comm port assigned to the cable).  If you try and run EQAscom without correctly configuring it the programme will keep trying to connect to the eqdir cable and fail (close down, reopen, fail, close, reopen etc)

As tooth_dr says EQASCOM isn't a stand alone application but is called from a client program like CdC, SGP, PHD2 etc. Trying to run it on its own causes the effect you've seen. :smile: From the EQASCOM page

EQASCOM provides an ASCOM server interface through which many popular Planetarium and Guiding applications are able to control the mount. EQASCOM is not run as a stand alone application but will be started automatically upon request by an ASCOM client. EQASCOM can simultaneously support multiple ASCOM clients and  will terminate itself when the last client closes.

Alan

10 hours ago, Miguel1983 said:

Hi,

for the third time i have installed EQASCOM but it just wont run.

I click the program and this is what happens….

EQASCOM fail.MOV

Eqascom flickers like that when it can't connect to the mount, It keeps trying to connect all the time. 

How are you setting it up and connecting to the mount ?  You have to choose the correct port If you are using an eqdir cable or using the pc direct mode with a usb adapter. 

Like tooth_dr and Cornelius varlei said above, try running toolbox, make sure eqmod.exe is selected under windows and ascom registration and press the register button. It's normal to have an error notification followed by a success one. 

After that, click on driver setup and choose the correct port( You can check that under windows devices and printers) and press ok. 

If all went well it should connect after that. 

Edited by Atreta
Missing punctuation.

I’d suggest you check out Light Vortex Astronomy website which has a good set of instructions on how to set up Eqmod ASCOM etc 

Allright,

i've managed to connect to the mount with the toolbox

1219075486_Schermopname(8).thumb.png.db833bcae1926485edadda11dd6c8bc3.png

Still clicking EQASCOM.run doesn't work.

I'm not sure EQASCOM is something for me right now, it seems complicated and many different programs instead of one central command program, you now "One to rule them all" ?

can't see any added value at the moment, maybe someday down the road.

Edited by Miguel1983
  • Like 1

I’m not sure you understand what eqmod does! It’s not a program you can open and use.

If you use PHD2 then you connect to your mount via EQMOD HEQ5/EQ6. Same for CdC, APT, SGP, etc.

You setup parking positions etc via that EQMOD interface as well as other settings.

Once you get onto it, it’s not difficult.  But it’s not a program you use in itself to control the scope. 

• Thanks 1

OK,

i'm trying to understand how i can run my gear for later use when my observatory is finished and i got a fixed set-up.

So normaly you need to startup the mount and run trough the alignment procedure with the handcontroller.

After that you can remove it and replace it by an EQDIR cable.

Next you connect the mount with the EQASCOM Toolbox.

Am i right so far ?

Next thing i would do is to run Stellarium in order to choose a target, but i've just tried and it wont connect to the mout with the EQDIR cable, it does connect with the RS232 cable in the handcontroller, but then EQASCOM wont connect.

So here i'm stuck ?

**EDIT** Ok, aparently i needed StellariumScope, managed to let them talk to each other...

i got a feeling this is one of those things that would be very nice to have someone next to you who can guide you trough the process

Still got that feeling dough ?

Edited by Miguel1983
  • Like 1

Forget the hand controller, and put it in a draw, there are better software methods for alignment, e.g. Sharpcap drift alignment ….

When all your gear is connected & you've installed all the software you wish to use, including the Ascom system, Stellarium\CDC, PHD2 etc. then all software will usually inter-connect with all the hardware, mount\cameras etc. then if all is working, the Skies are open to you.

Plus I don’t actually do an alignment. I just slew straight to my chosen target after switching on and plate solve to within a few pixels. 

• Like 1

Eqmod will allow you do set up certain things and allow you to move the mount. In reality for most eqmod is a gateway for your astro software (phd, APT, SGP) to send commands to the mount. I can however do allot more.

As others have said you do not open eqmod in normal use as your other software will do this for you when it connects to your mount.

Hi, just reading through the responses to this and I'm getting confused.

What's EQASCOM?  I've got ascom drivers installed to link my PC to my cameras through PHD2 and APT.  Is that what it is?

I've heard of EQMOD, which I was looking into earlier today - that's why I opened this discussion.

Is EQMOD still the software of choice for pointing the scope?   I was also looking at the ZWO ASIair, looks interesting...  6 years in and I'm still using the Synscan.  Time for a change?

EQASCOM = EQMod Ascom driver the software glue between the mount and the PC. Yes you'll have other Ascom drivers for cameras, filter wheels etc...

In the Windows\Skywatcher EQMod is king, but in the Linux world then Indi rules the roost....  imho

• Like 1

I see, I must have installed it at some point.  I've connected the mount through the Synscan to my PC via serial port previously, but only to have a play with Stellarium.  That was a few years ago though.

Time to try out EQMOD.  I'm going to order a EQDIR adapter cable and have a look at Chris Shillito's Youtube channel.

Thanks for the reply!

As I said earlier, put away the Synscan controller, & drive the mount directly from the PC. FYI, the EQDirect cable adaptor goes from a USB port on the PC & plugs into the mount using the same RJ45\RJ12 port that the Synscan controller was plugged into.

And whatever you do, don't swap between them, yes, they will both control the mount, but they do it in different ways, and will never interact with each other. Even when you put the Synscan controller into "PC Mode" in theory it just becomes a dumb lump in the middle....

2 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

As I said earlier, put away the Synscan controller, & drive the mount directly from the PC. FYI, the EQDirect cable adaptor goes from a USB port on the PC & plugs into the mount using the same RJ45\RJ12 port that the Synscan controller was plugged into.

My mount, the Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro has a serial port which the Synscan cable connects to, with a RJ45/RJ12 male connector at the other end that pushes into the Synscan.

I was going to buy this cable and miss out the Synscan completely:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq6-or-neq6-syntrek-pro-mounts.html

I've used 'PC mode' in error previously and yes, nothing worked!

Am I right in thinking that the ST4 cable between guide cam and mount isn't required if I'm using EQDIR?  I think I read that somewhere earlier, but might be wrong.

Correct you don't use the ST4 port, the PC control via the EQDirect adaptor & PHD2 do all the work & imho, do it better...

• Like 1