Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Total Lunar Eclipse 2019 Info

Rob

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Certainly am looking forward to it Rob. Going to be a late (or early!) one if the weather is kind. Hopefully we will be one the green in Esher with our little group observing and taking dodgy phone shots ;)

Been on my radar a couple months but so has the cloud...lol...If it's clear on the 21st for the lunar eclipse I plan to photograph the clear skies and hopefully capture the eclipse by inclusion ?

19 minutes ago, David Smith said:

From the screen shot by the OP - "This day was cloudy 75% of the time (since 2000)", says it all really expect :clouds1:

Clear Outside basically shows 100% cloud for the coming week, and has consistently done so almost all of December, so I am not holding my breath.

The media appear to be missing an interesting point about this eclipse. I've calculated that when the Moon is just outside the penumbra (especially afterward) it will be the brightest Moon since 2001 and until 2096. Extreme brightness is not always the case for a so-called Supermoon, since besides the Earth-Moon distance, other factors to consider are the Sun-Moon distance and the Moon's nearness to the ecliptic.

BrightMoons.JPG.e3b692ed81f688023611f308d07815c3.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Keeping my fingers crossed for the UK observers, and and of course our SGL friends from Canada/USA & South America.

Its looking fully clouded out for me (Southampton, UK) now. So I shall be looking forward to pictures a plenty!

Best Wishes.. Rob

Because of the timing and some weird activity called "work" in the morning, best I'll manage is a glance; assuming I don't just roll over in bed and I'm not clouded out. Watching the weather forecasts the last couple of months, it's been cloudier and rainier here than anywhere else in Britain.

26 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Can't remember when the last full Lunar eclipse with a nice clear sky for the whole thing was, I've got some images of it somewhere if I can find them.

Dave

28 September 2015, I looked up some images the other day. About 3 in the morning I think from memory, it was great throughout. :) 

My profile photo is from the penumbral phase of the September 2015 eclipse. I've always liked lunar eclipses because they were a springboard for my interest in astronomy - I can remember my Grandad telling me about the one in October 1986 when I was only six years old! Weather looking so-so here for Monday morning but at least there's a nice partial lunar eclipse in July to look forward to if it's cloudy.

37 minutes ago, Scooot said:

28 September 2015, I looked up some images the other day. About 3 in the morning I think from memory, it was great throughout. :) 

Sounds about right, such a lovely night even got Mrs T to come out to look at it :eek:

Dave

Really looking forward to it but sadly don't think the clouds will let me take a peek. Well that's according to the current forecast, we all know how easily that can change. Hopefully we all can get a look at some point. 

I'll be on my local beach looking out towards Jersey, forecast is clear - here's hoping. I saw a bit of the last one from South London, this should be much better. If anyones in this part of Manche, France it may be an opportunity to get together for some observing.

Archived