Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants_winners.thumb.jpg.a13d54fa405efa94ed30e7abd590ee55.jpg

Rob

Total Lunar Eclipse 2019 Info

Certainly am looking forward to it Rob. Going to be a late (or early!) one if the weather is kind. Hopefully we will be one the green in Esher with our little group observing and taking dodgy phone shots ;)

• Like 1

Don't forget, it is the morning of 21st, easy to get it wrong!!

• Like 2

Been on my radar a couple months but so has the cloud...lol...If it's clear on the 21st for the lunar eclipse I plan to photograph the clear skies and hopefully capture the eclipse by inclusion 🙂

• Like 1

From the screen shot by the OP - "This day was cloudy 75% of the time (since 2000)", says it all really expect :clouds1:

19 minutes ago, David Smith said:

From the screen shot by the OP - "This day was cloudy 75% of the time (since 2000)", says it all really expect :clouds1:

Clear Outside basically shows 100% cloud for the coming week, and has consistently done so almost all of December, so I am not holding my breath.

• Like 1

I did manage to catch some stars in an image at the last lunar eclipse so I wonder if this might be possible with my 135mm? :) With the Beehive cluster.

22A31345-366F-4494-A2E6-5D74CFF1FF44.thumb.png.a2f3c69b7f873651233c59e5ae4ab3cb.png

Edited by Scooot
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

The media appear to be missing an interesting point about this eclipse. I've calculated that when the Moon is just outside the penumbra (especially afterward) it will be the brightest Moon since 2001 and until 2096. Extreme brightness is not always the case for a so-called Supermoon, since besides the Earth-Moon distance, other factors to consider are the Sun-Moon distance and the Moon's nearness to the ecliptic.

BrightMoons.JPG.e3b692ed81f688023611f308d07815c3.JPG

Edited by CentaurZ
  • Like 1

Keeping my fingers crossed for the UK observers, and and of course our SGL friends from Canada/USA & South America.

Its looking fully clouded out for me (Southampton, UK) now. So I shall be looking forward to pictures a plenty!

Best Wishes.. Rob

Because of the timing and some weird activity called "work" in the morning, best I'll manage is a glance; assuming I don't just roll over in bed and I'm not clouded out. Watching the weather forecasts the last couple of months, it's been cloudier and rainier here than anywhere else in Britain.

Can't remember when the last full Lunar eclipse with a nice clear sky for the whole thing was, I've got some images of it somewhere if I can find them.

Dave

26 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Can't remember when the last full Lunar eclipse with a nice clear sky for the whole thing was, I've got some images of it somewhere if I can find them.

Dave

28 September 2015, I looked up some images the other day. About 3 in the morning I think from memory, it was great throughout. :) 

My profile photo is from the penumbral phase of the September 2015 eclipse. I've always liked lunar eclipses because they were a springboard for my interest in astronomy - I can remember my Grandad telling me about the one in October 1986 when I was only six years old! Weather looking so-so here for Monday morning but at least there's a nice partial lunar eclipse in July to look forward to if it's cloudy.

37 minutes ago, Scooot said:

28 September 2015, I looked up some images the other day. About 3 in the morning I think from memory, it was great throughout. :) 

Sounds about right, such a lovely night even got Mrs T to come out to look at it :eek:

Dave

Really looking forward to it but sadly don't think the clouds will let me take a peek. Well that's according to the current forecast, we all know how easily that can change. Hopefully we all can get a look at some point. 

• Like 1

Looking promising we’ll see something here. Clear Outside and scopenights showing totally clear until 6 or 7am with the met app showing it starting to cloud at 5. fingers crossed :) 

I'll be on my local beach looking out towards Jersey, forecast is clear - here's hoping. I saw a bit of the last one from South London, this should be much better. If anyones in this part of Manche, France it may be an opportunity to get together for some observing.

Ill be setting up this evening, but its not looking too promising here. If the last few nights are anything to go by it will go foggy and stay that way.

Untitled.png.ed2c1c3e05662d216fa93f3e28772ff6.png

Fingers crossed here if the forecast is to be believed, it's actually completely wrong ATM :grin:

Dave

1522329238_Eclipseweather.thumb.PNG.25e1ffb84deb338130456ee31e87205f.PNG

Looking ok here too Dave, think I will setup and look from home.

• Like 1

Looks like the usual low level cloud cover here... 😡👎🏻

So frustrating but I can’t recall the last decent night for months.

Given the lack of accuracy though I will have to set the alarm to check with my own eyes during the night. 

BB78DC16-4A9A-445E-8F95-FA2A28D08ABF.png