Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fabulous festive colour !

cotterless45

January's edition of "Sky at Night" magazine details some "green stars". I think this is very subjective and showing Almach or Cor Caroli I would not refer to green, unless the observer saw it ! There are a couple here .

For ghostly green nothing beats the clouds and tendrils of the Orion Nebula . Most bright planetary nebulae will give blue green.
There are some stunning colours available in winter , to provide some warm cheer at the eyepiece. Small aperture picks up lots of colour ,4" being ideal.

"Hind's Crimson" star, (SAO 150058)  (variable ) but can hang like a drop of blood in Lepus under Orion and is known as the "Vampire star". Probably better than the Garnet star in Cepheus . Catch these variable carbons at near max for a super show.
"Winter Albireo", two winter contenders here . Iota Cancri (08h46.7m. +28 46') and 
h3945 in Canis Major (SAO 173349). Get orange and blue here. They compare very well to Albireo.
"La Superba" (Y Canes Venatici) SAO 044317, rightly superb colour in the hunting dogs. Showpiece .

14 Aurigae (SAO 57799) yellow and blue. The difficult third element makes a triple system here.
56 Aurigae( SAO 41330) lemon and violet.
Canis Minor , SAO 116340, very red carbon star here.
2 Coma Berenices , noted with a green companion , but a deep yellow .
12 CB.(SAO 82273) nice wide yellow and blue.
24 CB (SAO 100160) orange and royal blue , hard to resist !
32-33 CB (SAO 100311) red and white.
Algieba in Leo , Orange and a reported greenish companion.
54 Leonis , stunning showpiece ! (SAO 81583) yellow and sapphire blue.
Denebola , blue and dark red.
Mintaka (Orion) SAO 132220 yellow and violet.
Meissa above Orion , set in a lovely wide group (Cr69) white and violet quadruple star.
Targetta in Taurus , gives white and blue.
52 Tauri (SAO 76558) and β 87 (SAO 76571) both give red and blue.
59 Tauri (SAO 76573) gives blue and gold.
Aldebaran, rose and blue.
Dubhe ( Ursa Major) Orange star with a wide faint darker companion.
Σ 1695 (SAO 28572) yellow and violet.

Seasons greetings and clear skies ! Old Nick.

10 hours ago, Pig said:

I am very envious Nick as I have not had one clear night since my extended holiday. 7 days gone and 14 to go ? will I get a clear night .... I hope so ?

...and the moon washing everything out for a another week:-(...

Blackbody curve theory means our eyes can't detect any temperature that radiates in green but people still interpret some stars as green. I know some people see the blue component of Albireo as green but I can't. People I know insist sodium lamps are yellow with no orange at all. All subjective I suppose. 

Archived