Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p.thumb.jpg.9baae12eeb853c863abc6d2cf3df5968.jpg

Grumpy Martian

BBC2 programme later this evening.

Chris Packham & Michela Strachan: Under the Christmas Sky. 

BBC2 9.00p.m.

A show about celestial wonders and winter wildlife. 

Edited by Grumpy Martian
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Great! Sounds like Winterwatch with an astronomy twist. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Waddensky

My work mate who worked in England most his life says wildlife in England means insects and that about it, no wildlife anywhere he described, is there a wildlife crisis in England?

23 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

My work mate who worked in England most his life says wildlife in England means insects and that about it, no wildlife anywhere he described, is there a wildlife crisis in England?

What an unobservant work mate you have! Admittedly, as a populous island which became separated from the continent at the end of the ice age, and thus wasn't colonised by northward-moving critters, and is generally intensively farmed, there's still plenty of widlife. Just no bears and other big stuff!

EDIT. p.s. We had bears until about 1000AD, by when we had killed them all off!

Edited by lukebl
  • Like 1

I came quite close to a wildlife crisis this week when I was driving to the swimming pool and discovered a Roe deer in the middle of the road on the exit of a blind bend.

James

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Foxes are quite tame these days. Magpies and squirrels will eat from your hand. So I would say that in Britain most animals have lost their wildness. 

But there is a particular species called humans which appear to be increasingly wild and dangerous. Please donot feed them crisps, peanuts or beer. 😂 

Edited by Grumpy Martian
Spelling.
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

on my way to work regularly see roe deer , muntjac deer , badgers ,foxes , barn owls, tawny owl ,stoats, red kite ,buzzards ,kestrel, other than that no other wildlife 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I guess he said that because while on a camping trip northern Ontario with friends

they ran into a black bear with cubs and it scared the snot out of him lol.

• Haha 1

Thanks for the info  A TV programme that me and the Mrs can both watch - Astro for me and critters for the Mrs!

Cheers,

Jon

We have red dear round here - they're quite big!

Oops nearly missed it, got engrossed in a PBS program about Bob Hope.

Dave

Would rather have had Chris Lintot and Maggie Aderin-Pockock.

These two are nobut a pair of clowns.

Not much good so far...  But it is on BBC2 and not BBC4 where the decent programmes seem to be.

Edited by Gina

Living down to my expectations.

• Haha 1

Nice bit of aurora near the end 😀

• Like 1

Well I have recorded it. You can only go by what the listings say. 

There was a Sky at Night about the star of Bethlehem. Until we invent a time machine, this subject gets done to death. 

Edited by Grumpy Martian
  • Like 1

I liked it :). The way of presenting is very much like they do at the 'watches', still they had some nice background info in it. A shame the Christmas Star was only explained as a conjunction - a lot of other options for that event.

12 minutes ago, Waddensky said:

I liked it :). The way of presenting is very much like they do at the 'watches', still they had some nice background info in it. A shame the Christmas Star was only explained as a conjunction - a lot of other options for that event.

Is there any evidence for a nearby star or planet exploding which could have been seen? 

The S@N program came down on the side of it being a comet which sounds reasonable although there are no records of it in China, no records of anything else either.

Dave

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

The S@N program came down on the side of it being a comet which sounds reasonable although there are no records of it in China, no records of anything else either.

Dave

Hope you have a peaceful Christmas Dave and everyone else.