Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Where to put Telrad on 8 inch dob

Hi 

I have just managed to finally put my telrad onto my scope however I have had to put it on the other side of the finderscope. Because of this it’s a bit awkward to look through especially when the scope is at a low angle . I was wondering is there a better place to put one or not? Or should I only use one or the other not both?

thanks 

52 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

That is where I also put mine. I think it is better to have the RACI positioned so that it is easily accessible while seated at the focuser than the Telrad, which is only used initially. 

DSC_0002.thumb.JPG.eb9d80f6888ea486a6d009499427903c.JPG

Thanks I also  have a RACI Finder as well. That’s how mine is set up.

1 hour ago, dannybgoode said:

Once I got my Telrad I got rid of my finder scope altogether. Never used it once the Telrad was on and don’t miss it in the slightest.

Me too. The rdf that came with my scope was ... how can I put this nicely? ... about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

I'd like mine fixed to the left of that focuser?

It's literally a gunsight, so for me, I need to be somewhere a little behind the Telrad, rather than reach over and peek around/into it,  with my eye to close to the Telrad, plus  I need my glasses on to see my reticules sharply!

If I could  mount my Telrad to  the left of my focuser, on an extension  plate, forward of the scope  if need be,  then I would only have to look left  a little, and at a guess , be in exactly the right position. 

Edit: Two telescope rings, one either side the focuser, with a rigid extension out to the front would suffice, Hmmm! ??

Archived