Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help in mounting Sentinal on EQ3

Rob

Ok guys. I'm now ready to buy my Sentinal from Scopesnskies!!... just wanting to know how to mount this on my Eq3?. The guy @ Scopes n skies seems to think the rings idea will work, after a conversation with Russ on the phone today. I'm not so sure :laugh:

I keep thinking about using a dove tail and bolting the dovetail to the Sentinals foot. Then in turn bolting the dovetail down on the EQ3!!?.

Any Thoughts before I buy?.

Thanks All

Rob

:laugh:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rob,

Take a look at the 'Saddle Plate for the SkyView Equatorial Mount' on the Telescope Service website:

http://www.telescope-service.de/mounts/start/mountsstart.html

It's getting around the same problem with their Skyview mount. If the mounting holes are in the same place, it should work. I notice they have two sets of holes, so it could be a winner. That will convert your mount to the dovetail system as well. Which will make fitting the Skymax 127 easier.

Regards

Russ

The length my be a problem, I had a 100mm f5 mounted on a EQ3/2 with the rings attached straight to the mount, how long is the Sentinal?

That TS link off Russ is also a good choice, my last resort would be drilling into the scope TBH.

Interesting thread this,

Rob, I have the same scope (Revelation 80 from Telescope-House; better diagonal :laugh:) and an EQ3 - both waiting for me to find a way of joining them.

Perhaps Arthur can help?

Measure space inbetween the holes on the EQ3/2 and the ask the seller the length of the tube body of the scope. At least you'll know if it's possible to just use the rings.

the TS price is in Euros I think, so about £40.

Not sure of which adapter plate you're talking about, but if you divide the amount in euro's by 1.45 that will give you an approx price in £

The one I noticed came in at 38 euros, divide that by 1.45 = £26 approx.

nabban

Rob,

Not sure which adapter you're looking at on that page but the one I had in mind is going for €52 or £35. It looks like this:

image.jpg

You'll be able to use standard Synta dovetails on your EQ3. More importantly hot swap between the refractor, Newt and Mak, all in a matter of seconds.

Russ

post-12650-133877318966_thumb.jpg

Is the shoe fitted to the tube by screws? I can't see it being machined out of one piece, if it is, simply unscrew foot, fit rings, easy (maybe?)

nabban :laugh:

Hang on........... just been reviewin some pictures of the mount, it has a lip off to one side with a machined hole???... I wonder if thats enough to bolt the foot on?.

image.jpg & image.jpg

It measures 3cm by 5cm, not sure of the foot dimensions?.

Rob

Hi Grant, I had a conversation with them about this.. they say its not an eq3 / astro 3 thats in the picture!! :?. They claim that this an eq2 style mount, and that many people had called them to complain.

Nice thought though matey!!

Rob

Archived