Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Firmware Update - Sorted!

cloudsweeper

I know there have been similar threads on this - thought I'd add some comments based on just having wrestled with this for several hours.  Updating is worth doing now and then to get the latest changes and fixes, and perhaps solve any glitches in the operation of the Hand Controller.

(Celestron Nexstar + (on 8SE); Windows 10.)

# Downloaded the latest Java, and waited a while for it to install.

# USB/RS232 cable - also installed driver for this.

# Downloaded Zip 8 programme to unzip the Celestron CFM (Celetron Firmware Manager).

# Ready at last to download the CFM files from the Cel. site.

# Then - right clicked on the CFM file, and Extract.

# Right clicked on that file - open with Java.

# I was then taken through a connection procedure.

# Seek device button - found one!

# Update button - few minutes later, all done!

I went round the procedure many times before getting it right, also got some assistance from Celestron.  Perhaps the biggest problem was after trying to open the file with Java and getting a message saying CFM Can't Write To Hard Drive.  I finally fixed this: Windows Settings - Apps - Default Apps - Reset To MS Defaults.

Talk about a rigmarole - but it'll be easier next time!  ?

Doug.

Edited by cloudsweeper

38 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

I did this eventually on my avx...when it eventually did it I'd no idea what I'd done differently... 

Took me about eight hours - Celestron replied to my first query only - just about lost all hope of doing it, when I tried that last step.  What a relief when it finally downloaded!  ?

Doug.

• 1 year later...

I also had difficulties with this.. 8se windows 10, starsence and starsence gps fitted updated in the end ok!!

I now find that the utilities function on the hand set is missing without this the gps will not work any ideas

thanks

16 minutes ago, todick said:

I also had difficulties with this.. 8se windows 10, starsence and starsence gps fitted updated in the end ok!!

I now find that the utilities function on the hand set is missing without this the gps will not work any ideas

thanks

Try downloading again - I had a similar issue and that solved it.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...