Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SH2-101 Tulip Nebula Bicolor

graemlourens

Hi everybody.

Got something to share. The Tulip Nebula plus an extended area around it, where i found interesting an HA / OIII area, so decided to make a 2 panel mosaic.

The challenge with this image was to pull the OIII from the background noise to get that cloudy feeling i was trying hard to achieve.

I hope you like it! Feedback always warmly welcome!

SH2-101.thumb.jpg.c287d864fa2d3aa21bacb7834ea653ec.jpg

Further details about the image here: https://graemlourens.com/image/sh2-101-tulip-nebula/

Kind regards, Graem

54 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

What an amazing region, well captured!

What exposures?

Ian

Hello Ian, thank you for your kind words!

I see I forgot to post the link to the capture details! Sorry about that. I added it above in my original post.

Its a 2 panel mosaic with 23 x 1200s Ha, and 20 x 1200s OIII binned 2x2 for each panel totalling at around 28 hours of exposure.

Kind regards, Graem

14 hours ago, jjosefsen said:

Wow amazing! I tried this object for one of my first mono images and one of my first narrowband images.. and failed horribly!

This image just blows my mind, I really want to try again next year! Beautifully done.

Thank you for your kind words! We do have a terrible hobby when it comes to patience...... :)

13 hours ago, jjosefsen said:

What software do you use for processing? I'm really blown away by this and the other images on your site..

Currently i'm using a combination of Pixinsight and Photoshop, whereby lots of the processing nowadays has shifted to Photoshop and i'm using Pixinsight only for the Mathematical aspects (Staralignment, Calibration etc).

But if i've learnt something, its really not what software you use, its the skills, tricks etc you gather over the years. I've seen people do amazing stuff in the free Gimp software, that is far behind any of these other Softwares.

13 hours ago, MartinFransson said:

That is a fantastic image!! Brilliant! 

Thank you so much!

5 hours ago, MikeODay said:

Lovely image Graem; I really like the colours.

Thx for your approval. I was and still am very unsure always, and i'm terrible at estimating colours. Nice to see it does seem acceptable also for others :)!

Kind regards, Graem

36 minutes ago, graemlourens said:

Thank you for your kind words! We do have a terrible hobby when it comes to patience...... :)

Currently i'm using a combination of Pixinsight and Photoshop, whereby lots of the processing nowadays has shifted to Photoshop and i'm using Pixinsight only for the Mathematical aspects (Staralignment, Calibration etc).

But if i've learnt something, its really not what software you use, its the skills, tricks etc you gather over the years. I've seen people do amazing stuff in the free Gimp software, that is far behind any of these other Softwares.

Thank you so much!

Thx for your approval. I was and still am very unsure always, and i'm terrible at estimating colours. Nice to see it does seem acceptable also for others :)!

Kind regards, Graem

I had a feeling it might be that way. I use PI for everything, but somerimes I wonder if PS or Lightroom might be better for stretching and final tweaks.

4 hours ago, jjosefsen said:

I had a feeling it might be that way. I use PI for everything, but somerimes I wonder if PS or Lightroom might be better for stretching and final tweaks.

I was at exactly the same point not too long ago. It felt wrong to mix 2 softwares, but the possibilities when it comes to layers, masks, clipping masks etc Photoshop (at least for me) wins by lengths. THere is no comparison. But i love PI for the mathematical aspects and also Noise Reduction / HDRCombination / Mosaic merging, where Photoshop doesn't have the same capabilities.

I'd highly advise you to give Photoshop a chance and read into it (astro-tutorials, or also here on the forum) to then make your own opinion.

My biggest problem to date was 'where is the 'MASTER' history, as when you're switching between softwares, its still nice to be able to keep the history. I've not figured that one out quite yet though.
Lightroom i love, but not for Astro. I've also not seen too many people use Lightroom for that usecase. Lightroom for me is more for simpler adjustment tasks & cataloging, i've never seen layers or masks in the context you'd use them for astro-image-processing.

Kind regards, Graem

What a cracking image - I really, really like that rendition of this lovely object. I too split my processing between PI (calibration/alignment/stacking/deconvolution/noise reduction) and PS for everything else. You've made me want to revisit this object again!

16 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Fabulous image Graem. The colour is spot on for me.

11 hours ago, Vixen4eva said:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alan

8 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

What a cracking image - I really, really like that rendition of this lovely object. I too split my processing between PI (calibration/alignment/stacking/deconvolution/noise reduction) and PS for everything else. You've made me want to revisit this object again!

Wow guys you're making me blush! I didn't expect such positive reactions.

You've made me a very nice Christmas present!

Kind regards, Graem

That is an amazingly good image Graem! And rather unusual at least at this scale. I like HaOiii images as they can be made to look like natural RGB images, like your one. Indeed, blue is blue and red is red, as it should be. I think you got the colours spot on. I also do as you do, do most of the processing in PS and use PI for putting the subs together and a few other things like SCNR-green and a bit of deconvolution (that I then can add selectively in PS). I am sure there are many more useful things one can do in PI but I feel that PS can do most of the things I want to do, but I will keep experimenting with PI.

The only little thing I could comment on in you image is the size of your signature/info. It is rather big and distracts a bit from the image (but maybe I am just envious ?)

7 minutes ago, gorann said:

That is an amazingly good image Graem! And rather unusual at least at this scale. I like HaOiii images as they can be made to look like natural RGB images, like your one. Indeed, blue is blue and red is red, as it should be. I think you got the colours spot on. I also do as you do, do most of the processing in PS and use PI for putting the subs together and a few other things like SCNR-green and a bit of deconvolution (that I then can add selectively in PS). I am sure there are many more useful things one can do in PI but I feel that PS can do most of the things I want to do, but I will keep experimenting with PI.

The only little thing I could comment on in you image is the size of your signature/info. It is rather big and distracts a bit from the image (but maybe I am just envious ?)

Thank you very much, Gorann! 

Your feedback concerning the signature is valued, thank you! In the Print-Versions (not published) it is way smaller, but in the Web Versions, as its displayed rather small, i try to keep it at a certain size, so its still readable, and i try always to position it in a way that its not in an interesting part of the image and 'shouldn't' disturb. I'll take it into consideration though in future placements & size decisions!

Kind regards, Graem

Seriously! I was shocked when I opened this image up full screen - I did not expect such a vast expanse of sky - haven't seen anything like this of this region before.

Hope you've submitted this to a few magazines ?  More need to see it ?

David

On 25/12/2018 at 17:13, David_L said:

Seriously! I was shocked when I opened this image up full screen - I did not expect such a vast expanse of sky - haven't seen anything like this of this region before.

Hope you've submitted this to a few magazines ?  More need to see it ?

David

Hey David, thank you for your kind words! The only thing i do is add it on flickr in some groups and on astrobin, if it gets picked up there sometime somehow, i'll not say no :)

Kind regards, Graem

On 29/12/2018 at 16:26, carastro said:

Excellent,  I only tried this once and found it dreadful to process.

Carole

Hi Carole, thank you for your nice Feedback!

OIII is a nightmare indeed. Going the tone mapping approach was the only way i could get anything useful from the data, but removing OIII halos were a painful manual process due to my inferior equipment. But i don't regret it!

Kind regards, Graem

Archived