Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p.thumb.jpg.9baae12eeb853c863abc6d2cf3df5968.jpg

cotterless45

Winter solstice !

Yikes ! It's come around already .

I hope that here in the uk you made the most of the gaps and few good nights . It's not been an easy season so far , here's hoping ! Old Nick.

Edited by cotterless45
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've not seen a star for about 2 weeks, I wanted to check out the comet last week in the gaps but there was almost always a cloud over the area, got a very brief look before it was gone.

Alan

I did see Venus this am at 06:00 although it was very misty and raining!

At least with the Winter Solstice, we can now look forward to longer days and the promise of the return of Spring in due course after we've got Winter out of the way. 

Chris

• Like 1

10:23PM tonight the Northern hemisphere's Pole will be pointed furthest away from the sun the maximum extent.  After that light nights are on the way!

https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/december-solstice.html

Agreed, terrible, terrible, astro weather.  Second year running my M31 and M33 projects been bombed by incessant cloud, grey and rain and look no immediate end in sight.  Looks like project to cover the whole of Orion is doomed yet again.

Its been dreadful here in Cost del Southampton (not) since mid November. I'm so sick of rain & wind

Yay, the Sun will soon be high enough for me to observe again. Granted it's pretty quiet but I miss solar observing and imaging.

3 hours ago, alan potts said:

I've not seen a star for about 2 weeks

Same here.  Not even our local one :(

James

Cloud and rain here for weeks in wonderful windswept Lincolnshire, managed an  hour Monday evening. I consider I may be partially to blame bought a new mount a couple of months ago it's been exposed to the sky for about 12 hours total. Usual routine set up, flash up camera, watch cloud come rolling in, take down, switch on "plug in drug". Ho Hum. Think I need a grab and go set up. So I can grab it and go to Siding Springs.

Edited by KevS

Not been able to do anything for 10 weeks now, during that time there was only 3 clear nights and my kit was out of action 🤬😡

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

10:23PM tonight the Northern hemisphere's Pole will be pointed furthest away from the sun the maximum extent.  After that light nights are on the way!

Thats depressing. The nights are getting lighter and I've done almost  no imaging........

Don't think I did any imaging last year either though I can't remember.  I'm looking forward to spring and the lighter night - sorry astronomers...

Weve had truely appaling weather for adtro in. Scarborough.  Cloud cloud n more cloud.   Thoroughly fed up.  This year due that and work ive done 1 solar session and seen venus with the st80 from the bedroom recently.   

I've spent a fair bit of time this year in darkest Galloway and although there has been some half decent nights there has not been the clear clear nights that I have witnessed, maybe just a case of bad timing. As for here  in West Yorkshire its just dull, rain, wind, cold, sleet, dull, rain, although I may not have that order just right. Have a good Xmas folks and a clear skies for 2019.