Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

South Wales Astronomy Group (SWAG) Star Party 2019

Freff

I am pleased to announce that the South Wales Astronomy Group (SWAG) has arranged our spring  Star Party again at the superb Pencelli Castle Caravan & Camping Park. Sited in the Brecon Beacons National Park and Dark Sky Reserve, this location offers some truly dark skies which are excellent for observing and imaging. Please read Site Conditions.

The main nights will be Thurs 7th, Friday 8th & Sat 9th March 2019. The New Moon is on Wednesday 6th. The Oaks has been reserved from Thurs 7th - Sunday 10th March 2018 inclusive. Anyone wanting additional nights outside these dates please let me know as soon as possible.

Pitches and hard standings (about 25) have been reserved for us in the Oaks area. All pitches have EHU and have the least obstructed views of the night sky. If bookings exceed the pitches on the Oaks, there is the Meadows area that can be used for tents only but has no EHU. This area also offers excellent views.  The Meadows cannot be booked until the Oaks has been filled. This will avoid unfilled pitches on the Oaks being used by the public during the event.

Bookings as last year will be made directly through me. This will avoid any difficulties contacting the campsite wardens or any confusion between their booking list and ours. Payments for your pitch can be paid on arrival at Pencelli Castle.

Cancellation Policy  I do not ask for the £25 deposit up front but do expect any cancellations to be made 72 hours prior to arrival. I will then contact the campsite with the details. If not you will be asked to honour the policy. 

Please Do Not Contact Pencelli Caravan Park for Bookings. They Will Not Have Our Pitch Allocations And Won’t Know Where To Put You.

When booking please PM me your SGL name and real name for our records/planning. Your real name will be forwarded to the campsite for their registration/booking. Also your preferred pitch if you have one. Pitch allocations will be posted on the forum in your SGL name as they come in.

If you attended last year, then all that’s required is your SGL name, the nights you require with or without EHU, and prefered pitch.

If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact me either email or PM.

We hope you can make it to the South Wales Group 8th Star Party we look forward to seeing you.

Tony

• Like 3

On 24/12/2018 at 13:46, L8-Nite said:

HI Tony,

Dorothy & I are looking forward to it. Please put us down for pitch 6;  Don't want to upset Tich by jumping que for # 29.  :angel9:

Merry Christmas to you and Cath and to all a Happy Holiday.

Cheers MIke lol I'll have the usual pitch Tony from Weds to Sunday Morning please I have PM'd you so all being well I should be able to make it...

• Like 1

These are the initial bookings, and are subject to site confirmation when they re-open. 

freff                                     Pitch   4                       5th – 9th

tich                                     Pitch   29                     6th – 9th

reddross                             Pitch   13                     7th – 9th

l8-nite                                 Pitch   6                      7th – 9th

bobxuk                               Pitch   15                    7th – 9th

bish                                    Pitch   25                     7th – 9th

mickD                                 Pitch    5                      6th - 9th

astralstroll                            Pitch    7                      7th - 9th

paul73                                  Pitch    8                      8th - 9th

easwing                                Pitch    26                    8th - 9th

faulksy                                 Pitch    27                    8th - 9th

danny k                                Pitch    28                     8th - 9th

lee-b                                    Pitch     14                    7th - 8th

bats                                      Pitch     3                      8th - 9th   

mdstuart                              Pitch     12                    8th - 9th 

Edited by Freff
error

5 hours ago, estwing said:

Best view I've had of M1 was from here...much better than Lucksall, tho there are trees to avoid. 

Thanks Calvin.

It would be great to see the DOBMOB back at Pencelli. You are always very welcome. :hello2:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, skybadger said:

I'm interested. Shame about dogs though. What's the camping like in March, temperature wise and is everyone taking tents or caravans ?

Cheers

Mike

The Brecon Beacons has its own microclimate most of the time.

We have had snow blizzards, torrential rains and heat waves in March.

There is a mix of tents and caravans, trailer tents and motorhomes.  Pencelli cater for all. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Chaps my shifts changed this year so im able to attend this year which im super excited about. but i will also be bringing some new Light pollution filters designed for DSLR's externally. So please feel free to ask me if you want to try them out. 

• Like 1