Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Gears, bearings and more ! FREE!

Skipper Billy

I have seen quite a few posts just recently about automating domes and roll off roofs etc.

It occurred to me that in our workshops we have a number of defunct anchor windlasses - mostly the motor has failed but the gearboxes are fine.

Essentially they are compact, simple reduction gearboxes that with a 700 watt to 1000 watt 12 volt motor will happily haul 50 meters of 10mm chain and 35 kg anchor back on board.

They might be a good supply of parts for a project?

Free to anyone that can make use of them - just pay the carriage (they are quite heavy!)

They are various makes but all quite similar if not identical to the attached drawing.

Happy Christmas !

LEW_66000617_lg.jpg

Ooooh...this could be just the ticket.

How many do you have and what size / weight are they? Do any of the motors still work, and look like they'll last?

I have observatory plans for next year and have a 3.2m dome I will eventually automate, including an automatic shutter.

Do you have any photos of the full assembly?

Thanks.

Hi - 

We are closed now until 9th Jan (we are boat builders) but when we get back I will drag them out see what we have and send you the details and some photos. AFAIK none of the motors work but they are fairly easily obtainable but for us its more cost effective to replace it as a unit. The gearboxes are usually spot on and they are built for use in a harsh environment - salt water and immersion etc

They weigh about 12kg.

Hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

Sorry for the delay - frantic busy at this time of year.

The two best ones are a 

Lofrans Royal - https://www.force4.co.uk/lofrans-royal-manual-windlass-m.html

or

Lewmar Pro 1000  https://www.force4.co.uk/lewmar-pro-series-1000-windlass-12v-8mm.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhKviBRCNARIsAAGZ7Cc3bxO_wbUbCCpvnMAJKzRG97Xbuw85ZnO8NLkPqOXv5yLBgRxj4DYaAlc3EALw_wcB

You should be able to find exploded diagrams on Google.

If you want either of them then just pay the carriage.

All the best.

David.

Archived