Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25.thumb.jpg.f1d5d01d306644f613efd90ef96b314c.jpg

bthoven

Skywatcher Virtuoso, Synscan HC v3, which firmware?

I have Skywatcher Synscan V3 working with my EQ6 without problem.

I've lately flashed firmware v.3.39.05 and tried using it with my Skywatcher Virtuoso. I have problem with 2-star alignment. After manually move the mount to point to the first bright star, align; then choose the 2nd alignment star, the mount will slew to the sky very far away from the 2nd star. After I managed to complete the 2-star alignment successfully, the goto accuracy was very bad. It always placed my scope quite far away from the targets. I've tried the whole night and gave up.

I then begin to wonder whether I have to flash the hand controller with the firmware for Allview mount (v.3.09.06) instead. Anyone can share your experience on this?

Thank you.

synscan firmware.PNG

I use a v3 handset with the Virtuoso. I've only found alignment off if I put the details in wrong on startup and the mount location latitude is not setup or the mount is not level. Always start the mount level, zero on altitude scale with telescope facing north then turn it on (assumes local latitude previously set).

Edited by happy-kat

8 hours ago, bthoven said:

Skywatcher Synscan V3 working with my EQ6

I believe that there are 2 standards of Synscan V3. One for Az/Alt mounts, and one for EQ mounts. I assume that yours is programmed for EQ mounts. I have used my Az/Alt V3 handsets from my Skymax 127 and Skyliner 250PX with my Virtuoso 90 mount without any problems.

Geoff

19 minutes ago, Geoff Lister said:

I believe that there are 2 standards of Synscan V3. One for Az/Alt mounts, and one for EQ mounts. I assume that yours is programmed for EQ mounts. I have used my Az/Alt V3 handsets from my Skymax 127 and Skyliner 250PX with my Virtuoso 90 mount without any problems.

Geoff

The most recent versions of the v3 firmware, v3.27 and up, include eq and alt-az alignment routines so can be used for either type of mount.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, happy-kat said:

I use a v3 handset with the Virtuoso. I've only found alignment off if I put the details in wrong on startup and the mount location latitude is not setup or the mount is not level. Always start the mount level, zero on altitude scale with telescope facing north then turn it on (assumes local latitude previously set).

Thank you. That was what I did every time.

3 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The most recent versions of the v3 firmware, v3.27 and up, include eq and alt-az alignment routines so can be used for either type of mount.

Mine is latest version 3.39.05 which is supposed to work with either EQ or ALTAZ mount?

Got confirmation from Skywatcher help desk that we can use both firmwares for Virtuoso. The main difference is Allview firmware has panorama scan feature.

Still not sure what went wrong with my setup.

ps. Just know that Celestron owns Skywatcher because my ticket created on Skywatcher website, but got an auto-reply from Celestron!

Skywatcher reply.PNG

Edited by bthoven
  • Thanks 2

Does that suggest you can get all the panoramic functions the virtuoso has but through the handset rather than the on mount button interface. Might go and read the all view manual to see how/if it differs from the virtuoso.

Do you have an older Virtuoso that still supports the EQ mode option? On testing my virtuoso appears to not support the function that was on the mount when they first came out.

8 hours ago, bthoven said:

Got confirmation from Skywatcher help desk that we can use both firmwares for Virtuoso. The main difference is Allview firmware has panorama scan feature.

Still not sure what went wrong with my setup.

ps. Just know that Celestron owns Skywatcher because my ticket created on Skywatcher website, but got an auto-reply from Celestron!

Skywatcher reply.PNG

Its actually the other way round. Skywatcher (Synta) own Celestron.

• Haha 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Anne S
      I'm trying to update my v3 handset prior to selling the mount. I need to update the bootloader from v1.0 to v1.7 before I can upgrade the firmware from 3.12 to the newest version. I've tried following the instructions in the bootloader download but the upgrade loader refuses to install anything.
      Before I realised I needed to update the bootloader, the synscan loader v3.3 just showed 255 255 255 where it should display the handset software, ie 3.12.
      Can anyone advise what I'm doing wrong?
      The handset won't run the mount probably because I had a replacement motor control board a few years ago., I'm guessing. It worked fine before that. I've been using eqMod for years.
      Thanks.
      Anne
    • By Greg6498
      Hello all!
      I just picked up a Skywatcher Evostar 80mm Doublett and LX70 (EQ5) mount. This is my first refractor and EQ mount so it took me a while to put it together (if you all notice anything out of place please tell me!). I still enjoy my 8” dob but wanted to learn. This type of scope. It had good reviews for general viewing, but I'm not sure what to expect. 
      The EQ mount took quite some time to figure out and one of my questions is do I operate the scope with the counterweight horizontal to the ground? I noticed that in that position I can use the control cables to move up and down and left and right. Any advice is appreciated!

• By Kronos831
      Hey guys!i need to make this quick! I want to get a new 6mm eyepiece.I have a 8" f6 dob and i want to get a nice 200 mag and put the telescope to its limits at 400x
      The most i ve seen with is 240x for Jupiter and Saturn .i ve heard they looked stunning at 400x and i am keen on trying it.Ive got my eyes on a 6mm Skywatcher UWA eyepiece.and i have a Bst Starguider 2z Barlow lens.And i seem to be having problems with my 8mm Bst Starguider (300x in total).the bst has a 16mm eye relief and a 21mm lens diameter,but when i barlowed it and look at the moon yesterday,it was hard finding the right spot to look through the eyepiece and when i moved the image disappeared.I dont know if it will have that effect on planets,when I looked at mars it was fine but i definitely want to avoid that from happening again.Will it happen?
      The Skywatcher eyepiece i want to buy has a 16mm eye relief too.I dont want to make the same mistake now , i want a 6mm eyepiece at the price range of 50-70 euro either from flo or amazonuk.If the Skywatcher will have similar results,can you suggest another one?
    • By R26 oldtimer
      Can it be done? Without any programming skills?
      Yes, it actually seems that way...
      THIS WAS TESTED ON AN SW AZEQ5 mount which communicates with the handcontroller on a 3.3V TTL LOGIC.
      CHECK YOUR MOUNT'S MANUAL FOR 3.3V compatibility (should be azeq5,azeq6,eq6rpro,eq8), although I suspect it will work with the other 5V TTL logic mounts since the DT-06  board appears to be 5V tolerant, but CAN'T CONFIRM
      Ingredients:
      - DT-06 Wireless Serial TTL WiFi board
      - RJ45 ethernet cable
      -5v power supply (or 4x1.2v AA batteries)

First, take the ethernet cable and cut it in half. Strip the cables and identify the cables to the corresponding pins. Then I consulted SW azeq5's user manual hand control port's pinout.

In my case the pinout is as follows:
      pin1: orange-white         ---- ground
      pin2: orange                   ----not used
      pin3: green-white            ----not used
      pin4: blue                        ---- ground
      pin5: blue-white              ----mount Tx  to controller Rx
      pin6: green                      ----mount Rx  to controller Tx
      pin7: brown-white          ----- +11 to+16 V
      pin8: brown                    ----- +11 to+16 V
      Then I connected the orange-white & blue cables to the DT-06 Wireless Serial TTL WiFi board's ground pin,
      the blue-white  cable to the DT-06 Wireless Serial TTL WiFi board's Rx pin,
      the green cable to the DT-06 Wireless Serial TTL WiFi board's Tx pin,
      and a 5V power supply to the DT-06 Wireless Serial TTL WiFi board's ground & Vcc pins (or 4x1.2v AA batteries) , I 've ordered a buck stepdown converter to utilize the +11 to+16 V from pins 7&8 to power the module, but for now I just wanted to make sure it works!

Now that the hardware connections are done, we move on to the settings.
      Power the module and a led will confirm it's on. It is on AP mode so scan with your phone for wifi, and you 'll see something like DoitWiFi_xxxx. Connect to it (no password was set on mine).
      Open your browser and type 192.168.4.1 , this will take you to the Built-in WebServer where you set the parameters for the module.
      You will see three tabs: "status", "module", & "more"
      From the "module" tab's dropdown menu, select "serial" and enter the values : baud rate:9600, databits:8, parity: none, stopbits:1, serial split timeout : 200. Click save.
      From the "module" tab's dropdown menu, select "wifi". Here you can change the SSID name (I put Synscan), and set a password if you like (I don't). Click save.
      From the "module" tab's dropdown menu, select "networks". Change the "socket type" to UDP server, and assign UDPserver port to "11880". Click save.
      Then from the "more" tab's dropdown menu, select restart. Now you 'll have to re-join the network under the SSID name you 've given.
      I 've only encountered some connection problems related with the serial split timeout. I found a stable connection when I set it at 200ms at the module's  Built-in WebServer, and 400ms as the Readtimeout on the synscan app.

That's it, you 're set to go.
      Download synscan pro app and skysafari plus or pro and I 'll post the settings in those apps in my next post.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.