Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Premature Peak at The Flaming Star Nebula (IC 405)

PhotoGav

The weather is pants, generally, the Moon is waxing, slowly, and I just got fed up of waiting to complete the first light project with my Astrodon 5nm Ha filter. I have only gathered 7 x 1800s subs (3.5 hrs) so far, so knew that noise would be an issue, but I couldn't resist processing them to see what the filter can do. I am delighted to say that I think I like my new acquisition!!!

Kit used: Esprit 100ED, QSI 683, Mesu 200, Astrodon 5nm Ha.

IC405-Ha-Stacked-Expt-05-Flat.thumb.png.69b64e70efd7cd2a6aceff4b30c2fce9.png

Ultimately this will be a double figure hours HaRGB image, if I get the chance to carry on the data gathering!

That’s looking good already, I’m hoping having a permenant set up next year will curb my current urge to process data that only amounts to a modest integration time. I’m sure that’s the single biggest improvement I can make to my imaging.

7 minutes ago, tomato said:

That’s looking good already, I’m hoping having a permenant set up next year will curb my current urge to process data that only amounts to a modest integration time. I’m sure that’s the single biggest improvement I can make to my imaging.

A permanent set up will be the single best upgrade you ever make. I can’t imagine going back to set up and breakdown for every session ever again! It has huge advantages for preparation too, clearish nights that you wouldn’t set up on are useful for planning future targets and tweaking the set up, which means that when good imaging conditions finally come along you are ready to start gathering data straight away.

As for processing data before the end of the full data collection - that is one of the things that I really like about APP, it is so effortless to integrate data that mid project process peaks are easy. That can help with the development of the project and checking data as you go along.

I have to say I’m really excited by this target seeing what I have so far and can’t wait for sky conditions to improve!

Archived